• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tubb 33XC Sizing die

Onesmallgroup

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2022
Key West
Anyone using the Tubb 33XC sizing die? I’m having trouble setting it up and can’t get the shoulder bump I’m looking for

Peterson 33XC brass once fired first resize.
Headspace measurement with the bushing provided by Tubb is 3.302

Put the die in the press and ran the shell holder up until it touched the base of the die then went a quarter turned down. Lube the brass, and ran it up into the die and could feel it making good contact with the bushing took a headspace measurement, and it was the same 3.302

Turn the die down another quarter, turn and still no change in headspace. I measured the base and the neck. They are perfect, but still no change in headspace.

Next, I use a different comparator and still had no change in headspace. Also, another set of calipers just in case that was an issue.

Continue to turn the die down to the point where I couldn’t run the shell into the press backed off a little, and still no change in headspace.

I’ve been reloading for about five years and have never ran into an issue like this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I run the die body all the way down to the shellholder and back off a half turn or so. The shoulder bump is controlled by progressively screwing down the inner sleeve against the neck\shoulder bushing until you have the bump you want. There are also instructions on the product page for the dies if you haven't seen those.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
Unfortunately, the dies for the 33/37/41XCs kind of blow. There's a reason I spent more than some people spend on their rifles to get a custom seater done

Peterson 33XC brass once fired first resize.
Headspace measurement with the bushing provided by Tubb is 3.302

Put the die in the press and ran the shell holder up until it touched the base of the die then went a quarter turned down. Lube the brass, and ran it up into the die and could feel it making good contact with the bushing took a headspace measurement, and it was the same 3.302

Turn the die down another quarter, turn and still no change in headspace. I measured the base and the neck. They are perfect, but still no change in headspace.

Next, I use a different comparator and still had no change in headspace. Also, another set of calipers just in case that was an issue.

Continue to turn the die down to the point where I couldn’t run the shell into the press backed off a little, and still no change in headspace.

I’ve been reloading for about five years and have never ran into an issue like this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Headspace in your diet is most likely to long.