• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tubb Speedlock

Falar

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Midland, TX
I was looking at upgrading with this cocking piece/firing pin after hearing some good reviews on it but whenever I see lightweight firing pins I get nervous about light primer strikes. Anyone with experience setting these up have any comments?

Re: Tubb Speedlock

I have them on all of my bolt guns. They were a breeze to install and I have never had any problems with light strikes.

I had one fracture on the shaft just behind the firing pin head. It was made of some lightweight alloy.

All the pins I use now are steel and hang the weight.

I wonder if anyone does a titanium pin...

Every good gunsmith or action manufacturer I spoke to advised me against going this route: of course I ignored their advice and did the "upgrade" anyway.

I used this in several rifles and have now switched back to original parts in every case. I do like their firing pin springs though: good stuff. From a safety standpoint alone, I don't think an aluminum firing pin shroud is a smart idea. I feel much better knowing steel shroud threads are protecting my face from the firing pin should any case/primer ruptures occur.

There is a titanium firing pin, but some caution advised with that material also. They outlawed titanium shackles on the rigging of off shore racing sailboats after losing several big boats and incurring heavy expenditures in rescuing the crews due to breakage of the titanium shackles...the material evidently is subject to stress fracturing on repeated shock loading. FWIW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a titanium firing pin, but some caution advised with that material also. They outlawed titanium shackles on the rigging of off shore racing sailboats after losing several big boats and incurring heavy expenditures in rescuing the crews due to breakage of the titanium shackles...the material evidently is subject to stress fracturing on repeated shock loading. FWIW. </div></div>

I know that titanium firing pins are a no-go in ARs because the material is too brittle so I imagine the same would apply to bolt guns.

Speedlocks are useful improvements to rifles, but they are also less relevent when dealing with rifles that are fired from a stationary position.

When a rifle is stationary, the lock speed has little meaning, as the rifle is still pointing in the same direction before and after the lock functions.

For unsupported shooting like offhand, the rifle is essentially never competely still, and a quicker lock speed is a real benefit.

G. David Tubb has been selling speedlocks for a long time, and if his titanium pins were a problem he'd change it. His name is on them and I'm fairly certain that's important to him.

Greg

Reactions: camocorvette

The National Match AR-15 uses a big ol clunky hammer to initiate the firing process.

Lock time sucks when compared to sexy hot rod bolt guns.

Modern bolt guns use high energy springs, reduced weight strikers, petite cocking pieces, etc. All in the effort to make that time on a watch between the sear releasing and the initial spark of ignition as few ticks on the stopwatch as possible.

Put two HighMasters side by side on the 200 at Perry, one armed with a NM AR15, the other with a "race car" bolt gun and watch them duke it out.

It'll go something like this:

If it's a reasonably decent day the scores will be 198 or better and the X count will be somewhere between 45 and 60 percent.

The SR shooter will bitch about the heavier trigger, the post front sight, and the ergonomics of the rifle when fired off the shoulder. He may have a sneering remark about the slower 223 compared to the 6mm "supah bad azz" that he's gotten used to shooting. Maybe that's what got him the dropped point. A switch that he didn't catch that resulted in a ringer 9 where's the 6mm would have squeaked in a scratch 10.

The bolt gunner will likely comment how great aperture sights, light two stage triggers, 6mm bullets/cartridges, adjustable stocks, and the longer barrel to get the better sight radius is when compared to the AR. He'll finish with a little grin knowing he won by a point or an X.

I'd be very surprised to find either of them bitching about lock time. Highpower guys can't wait to get the distinguished badge so that they can ditch the service rifle and get into a bolt gun. I promise anyone its not due to lock time.

In 20+ years of doing this that includes multiple trips to Camp Perry, Phoenix, Raton, Beyers, Bailey, Butner, Quantico, Pendelton, Wilcox, the OTC, and Coalinga I've yet to see it.

From my chair the fuss over lock time exists predominately in the land of keyboards, mouse pads, and monitors.

The one exception I'd agree with is smallbore 3 position. Here you have a cartridge traveling roughly 1/3rd the speed. Meaning it loiters in the barrel up to 3 times longer than a centerfire. At this point anything is going to be beneficial and so hairs get split.

Even still, I'm betting Matt Emmons focuses more on fundamentals and mental conditioning than he does lock time.

Last then I'll shut up. Go to a Home Depot and find me an aluminum or titanium hammer and/or set of punches. You won't cause both are horrible material choices for a part designed to whack things over and over and over and still hold its shape afterward.

Keep it real and enjoy your Monday,

Chad