• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tubb TBN Bullet Coating Does It Work For You?

MilSpecOkie

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2017
I bought into the Tubb HBN treatment for bullets. I want to have my first round shot on speed with the rest in a string for the dreaded Cold Bore shot in competition. I cleaned and prepped my barrel and my bullets per the instructions yet I'm finding inconsistent results overall with the treated bullets. Most of the time my first round shot on a cool/cold barrel is about 20 fps slower than the second shot. One instance it was actually faster, but that was one time out of about 20 tries. I had 20 rounds down the cleaned and prepped barrel before I started looking at the results. I have about 75 rounds down the barrel now so it should have all the HBN it will take in the barrel.

Have any of you used the system and is it working as advertised for you?

I have about 494 HBN coated DTAC 115gn 6mm hybrids. I've only shot five of them but concluded that they grouped better than my Danzak (Tungsten/disulfide) coated Speer, Sierra, Nozler, Berger, Hornady and Barnes bullets at 100 yards. It was my first try with the HBN DTACS from my Ruger Precision .243 Win. I'm looking forward to working more with this to see what I can accomplish. I don't think any coating system will entirely overcome the necessity to record and track CCB and CB variances. It may at best reduce these variances. I was experimenting with the bullets above to narrow down which to use for further tweaks and testing.

I never shoot clean cold bore other than to foul the bore again. Cold bore on the other hand happens at every match and in hunting situations. At this time I don't think it works for me or my gun, but I am here to learn if I'm doing something wrong.

I use the Tubb HBN kit with Hornady 225 ELD-M bullets in my 300 WM. The gun / load is shooting extremely well, though I only have about 120 rounds through this barrel. To be honest, I haven’t yet done a side by side test with un-coated projectiles. Maybe this fall when yard work is all done.

Mike

I bought the ones he coats. They shoot great out of my wife’s 6creed. But idk if that says much it seems hard to find a 6creed load that sucks. I didn’t notice any difference in cleaning really, I jb our 6mm barrels they don’t last long anyways might as well save time on cleaning imo

A friend of mine switched from Moly to HBN about 4 years ago. He ended up back with Moly within a year. He recently got 2 new barrels for his competition rifles and I noticed he was shooting bare bullets doing load development. I asked him what was going on and he said he had thrown all that stuff away. Too much work without enough benefits, he said. He's been shooting (for score) for a long time so, I'll continue with bare bullets myself.