• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TubbGun VS DesertTech SRS A2

PieterSaayman

Private
Minuteman
I’m in the market for one of these. I’ve been able to find reviews on each, but never a ‘vs’ review.

Does anyone on here have experience on both platforms?

I want to buy a multi-caliber rifle for hunting, PRS, and starting in ELR.

Thank you in advance.

I have an SRS A2 on the way, and the only place it will trip you up is shooting weak hand in competition. Otherwise given the choice, I would go with the SRS A2

I’m in the market for one of these. I’ve been able to find reviews on each, but never a ‘vs’ review.

Does anyone on here have experience on both platforms?

I want to buy a multi-caliber rifle for hunting, PRS, and starting in ELR.

Thank you in advance.

Which ones are your highest priority?

Reactions: spife7980
Sorry can only comment on the SRS. Love everything about it and after selling other rifles to afford different barrels it obviously gets shot the most. It was very natural for me to adapt to the bull pup. I have had to shoot a decent amount of times in PRS style match’s weak side and yes it requires you to break position but once you practice it’s not that bad. I would highly suggest desert tech but you might also look at AI if you are looking for a platform that swaps barrels.

1 rifle to do it all is not easy. What do you consider ELR? Are you going to actually compete (competitively) in ELR? What type of hunting do you do, are you going to try hike/pack miles with said rifle? PRS/Hunting/Dabble in ELR with a short mag is kind of the easiest solution.

I’ve owned a T2K, SRS A1, and now an ATR along with a Bighorn TL3. Here’s the deal:

Both rifles are insanely accurate. I modded my SRS trigger and got it feeling very good, and my rifle was a hammer with all barrels. The barrel changes are faster and simpler on the SRS, and if you buy multiple bolts much easier on the bolt changes. I prefer a fine 2 stage and the T7T is excellent so I give the ATR the nod there. I had a skinny 6.5 barrel to try and reduce weight on the SRS, and a 20” proof for the ATR. Hunting suppressed with the SRS was super cool for length, but neither rifle are light despite my efforts. With the right scope you could get the ATR sub 12 lbs though. Ultimately, this is why I picked up the TL3, I wanted a lighter and smaller frame hunting rifle. I’m really pleased with it too.

I ultimately sold the SRS because I wanted all of my rifles to have the same bolt ergo’s, even though I adapted just fine to the bull pup, and I wanted all my rifles to have a 2 stage trigger. You could compete with the SRS in PRS, but I was never sure if the 10 round mags were good to go, and mag changes are just simpler on a traditional rifle.

The Tubb ATR is a very solid platform, but not for everyone, and there are other ways to skin this cat. With today’s chassis’ that you can weight up you could easily tackle hunting and PRS with a light chassis and weights, and truly have a rifle that is good at both. Easy barrel swaps on a lot of actions with shouldered barrels, or use something like a WTO switchlug for even easier swaps. That leave ELR and if you are just goofing off a guy can do a lot with a short mag and modern bullets seated appropriately.

To recap: I think the ATR can excel in PRS and ELR with the right operator, but it does have proprietary mags and some people don’t like how they release, and heck it is expensive, but it can also shoot the big cartridges that are competing in ELR now. So truly 2 in 1 there. You can definitely hunt with it, just understand it won’t be light, and it is a bigger frame rifle. I got it to 12.4 lbs with 20“ proof and 4-16 ATACR so there’s a little more weight to shave there.

DT: Can do it all. Very simple and repeatable barrel swaps. Hunting...Heavier (I guess the A2s are lighter though?)...chunky but short....great suppressed. Ergos and mags could be issue in PRS, but practice and you can compete. Tyler Frehner was successful with his. Definitely can swing ELR.

Currently happily running my ATR for long range and dabble in PRS/NRL when I have time. Running an 18” Proof on the TL3 and very happy with that combo for hunting Suppressed.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: PieterSaayman
1 rifle to do it all is not easy. What do you consider ELR? Are you going to actually compete (competitively) in ELR? What type of hunting do you do, are you going to try hike/pack miles with said rifle? PRS/Hunting/Dabble in ELR with a short mag is kind of the easiest solution.

I’ve owned a T2K, SRS A1, and now an ATR along with a Bighorn TL3. Here’s the deal:

Both rifles are insanely accurate. I modded my SRS trigger and got it feeling very good, and my rifle was a hammer with all barrels. The barrel changes are faster and simpler on the SRS, and if you buy multiple bolts much easier on the bolt changes. I prefer a fine 2 stage and the T7T is excellent so I give the ATR the nod there. I had a skinny 6.5 barrel to try and reduce weight on the SRS, and a 20” proof for the ATR. Hunting suppressed with the SRS was super cool for length, but neither rifle are light despite my efforts. With the right scope you could get the ATR sub 12 lbs though. Ultimately, this is why I picked up the TL3, I wanted a lighter and smaller frame hunting rifle. I’m really pleased with it too.

I ultimately sold the SRS because I wanted all of my rifles to have the same bolt ergo’s, even though I adapted just fine to the bull pup, and I wanted all my rifles to have a 2 stage trigger. You could compete with the SRS in PRS, but I was never sure if the 10 round mags were good to go, and mag changes are just simpler on a traditional rifle.

The Tubb ATR is a very solid platform, but not for everyone, and there are other ways to skin this cat. With today’s chassis’ that you can weight up you could easily tackle hunting and PRS with a light chassis and weights, and truly have a rifle that is good at both. Easy barrel swaps on a lot of actions with shouldered barrels, or use something like a WTO switchlug for even easier swaps. That leave ELR and if you are just goofing off a guy can do a lot with a short mag and modern bullets seated appropriately.

To recap: I think the ATR can excel in PRS and ELR with the right operator, but it does have proprietary mags and some people don’t like how they release, and heck it is expensive, but it can also shoot the big cartridges that are competing in ELR now. So truly 2 in 1 there. You can definitely hunt with it, just understand it won’t be light, and it is a bigger frame rifle. I got it to 12.4 lbs with 20“ proof and 4-16 ATACR so there’s a little more weight to shave there.

DT: Can do it all. Very simple and repeatable barrel swaps. Hunting...Heavier (I guess the A2s are lighter though?)...chunky but short....great suppressed. Ergos and mags could be issue in PRS, but practice and you can compete. Tyler Frehner was successful with his. Definitely can swing ELR.

Currently happily running my ATR for long range and dabble in PRS/NRL when I have time. Running an 18” Proof on the TL3 and very happy with that combo for hunting Suppressed.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the excellent, detailed response. I appreciate you taking the time.

I am not an ELR shooter, but it is something I want to get into.

I am not a PRS shooter, but it is something I want to get into.

I haven’t hunted since I’ve moved to the States, but I am absolutely getting back into it.

I have been shooting a 6.5cm to about 1000m.

My goal is to get 1 rifle that I can use to dabble in all and with the right caliber try to push past a mile. If I start seriously competing I will buy dedicated rifles.

As far as hunting goes, weight is not my biggest concern, accuracy and reliability is.

My goal is to stay happily married, so the idea of one optic and one rifle is appealing. That said, knowing myself, in a year from now I will need a bigger gunsafe. Fortunately I have a patient wife.