• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tubbs final finish question?

onestar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2008
North Carolina, 27052
Guys I have a new Savage 22-250 that I need to shoot to break in. My question is should I just shoot regular ammo and then clean after every shot or would it be better to shoot the Tubbs treated projectiles and then clean? I have a box of the Tubbs bullets with like 5 or 6 different grit bullets. I have never used the Tubbs system before but have read several posts and some guys say it helps with accuracy and fouling and some say they can tell no difference. I have never read anything that claimed that it hurt the accuracy of the barrels.

I’m sure that you guys will probably say for me to shoot regular ammo first and see how it does but I wanted some opinions, especially from some of you guys that have used the Tubbs system. Thanks!

Re: Tubbs final finish question?

This has been covered a million times, use the search! On a factory tube, I would use Tubbs Final Finish to break it in. Follow the instructions on the kit.

once again...have a need for this product.....if your safe queen shoots good....leave it the fuck alone and live your life....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once again...have a need for this product.....if your safe queen shoots good....leave it the fuck alone and live your life.... </div></div>

Since you don't know how the FUCK to read, there hasn't been a shot down the barrel yet.

It might be worth your time to do a search on this as the topic does get discussed a lot. Speaking from experience with this product, I have not seen it hurt accuracy but can't say it helped either with the exception on one case where the barrel was really rough and shot very poorly. After final finish it still shot poorly but not as bad as before.

What it will do is move your rifling ahead so that it can become very difficult to reach it with a bullet if you are ever using bullet seating depth to tune a load.

In my opinion, it is a bad idea to use it to "break in" a barrel. I would recommend that you just go shoot it had build from there. You may have a tack driver and not know it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onestar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once again...have a need for this product.....if your safe queen shoots good....leave it the fuck alone and live your life.... </div></div>

Since you don't know how the FUCK to read, there hasn't been a shot down the barrel yet. </div></div>
Perhaps you should head the F$%^ to the range and shoot the F&^%ing thing to see if you need to use the F$%^ing Tubbs! Otherwise you have nothing to F$%#ing compare it to! BTW no need to be F%^$ing insulting you F%$^!

I have used TFF on factory barrels with great results. Will use again if I need another factory barrel accurized. Works even better when used in conjunction with tuned hand loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onestar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once again...have a need for this product.....if your safe queen shoots good....leave it the fuck alone and live your life.... </div></div>

Since you don't know how the FUCK to read, there hasn't been a shot down the barrel yet. </div></div>
Perhaps you should head the F$%^ to the range and shoot the F&^%ing thing to see if you need to use the F$%^ing Tubbs! Otherwise you have nothing to F$%#ing compare it to! BTW no need to be F%^$ing insulting you F%$^! </div></div>

My thoughts excatly. What the hell are you doing insulting a long time, high standing member of this site??? He knows what he talking about. Maybe you should shut the f*`k up and shoot the dam thing first!!!

I've tried several methods for breakin including a few that use abrasives. Essentially, after about 200rd, it's hard to tell any difference, and the main advantage I've found for the abrasives is that they help cleaning go faster until the non abrasive round count catches up. In the long run, although I respect the TFF concept, I find that by the time I've got the load development for the new barrel solidified, the breakin method really has no impact either way. It <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> help a little with load development, but in the end 'it's six of one; half a dozen of the other'.

Greg

I recently used the Tubbs process on a 308 Savage barrel that fouled more than I thought it should. It cleans easier (not perfect) and accruacy does not drop off after 25 rounds but it does eat your throat some and you start load developement over. Shoot your rifle first to see if you *need* this and don't count on an accuracy gain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onestar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once again...have a need for this product.....if your safe queen shoots good....leave it the fuck alone and live your life.... </div></div>

Perhaps you should head the F$%^ to the range and shoot the F&^%ing thing to see if you need to use the F$%^ing Tubbs! Otherwise you have nothing to F$%#ing compare it to! BTW no need to be F%^$ing insulting you F%$^! </div></div>

My thoughts excatly. What the hell are you doing insulting a long time, high standing member of this site??? He knows what he talking about. Maybe you should shut the f*`k up and shoot the dam thing first!!!</div></div>

This is just like my wife. She asks me a question which seems reasonable to her (although the answer is apparent to me), I give her what I consider a reasonable answer and she retorts with some nonsense about how I don't listen or understand or any other way to describe how inadequate of a mind I possess as a man.

The tubbs does help on the fouling/cleaning - if your barrel is already accurate it won't improve on that.

I ran it because my first 500 rds were Moly...and cleaning Moly out is not fun. TFF finished it up nicely.

Beware if you do run it, it'll take about 25-35 rds to settle your accuracy back in - on a factory stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onestar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once again...have a need for this product.....if your safe queen shoots good....leave it the fuck alone and live your life.... </div></div>

This is just like my wife. She asks me a question which seems reasonable to her (although the answer is apparent to me), I give her what I consider a reasonable answer and she retorts with some nonsense about how I don't listen or understand or any other way to describe how inadequate of a mind I possess as a man. </div></div>

LMFAO!!!!! That is soooooooooooooooooo true.

Life is a long time!
grin.gif

Nobody hit the Alaskan lotto for 9 bills. Big ones. He then bought into a lifelong subscription of a certain knifemaker so that a new one arrives every week, and a had a strip club built just a mile from his house (with new girls flown in every other week from all over the world) so that he could entertain people that travelled there for the salmon and polar bear picture taking boat trips. Last month, he lured in 2 guys that had only previously killed pen raised trophy animals, and after getting them really drunk at his strip club (named "Much To That" incidentally) on a real cheap tequila that he had cut with toilet water and some blue dye so he could convince them it was some real expensive stuff, he proceeded to smack them around with live, large fish he had caught earlier in the day with his children. (I know this because one of the dancers, named Squeeler, a pretty Thai woman with a wayward right eye, is dating the librarian of our county library, who told me the entire story). Nobody took pictures of the entire incident and will release a new video soon. National Geographic has contacted him for the rights to the pictures and the story for a mini-series that will be released in the fall after the NFL pleads bankruptcy, since during hard times who in their right mind would want to pay $200 for a ticket to watch large felons in tights throw a ball around that ony two or three people actually get to run with. Nobody also had a pretty good run on the TV Show "Jeopardy" for those that watch. He won $19,700 over two episodes but on the third episode, some trouble started. As the show came on, he shouted, "This IS Jeopardy !" over the announcer and this pissed off Alex Treebark, who then attempted to correct Nobody's word pronunciations throughout the show. It got to Final Jeopardy, and any viewer could see that Nobody was fired up but then the screen went blank and I was unable to see what happened...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would not a simple change of underwear be more socially acceptable?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

....unless one goes commando......

Or "regimental" as the Brits seem to say. Since we are on philosphy, was that cigar just a cigar?
As for Ballistol, I remember it get somewhat gummy in Montana winters.

....the cigar was a Sancho Panza......from switchblade.....a fine sponsor of the Snipershide Cup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cohibas when available.</div></div>

..............verily so...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cohibas when available.</div></div>
..............verily so... </div></div>
Because <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Life is a long time!
grin.gif
</div></div>is not always true.