• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tube magazine questions

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Hey guys from an accuracy standpoint is anything lost by using a tubular magazine? A buddy wants to grab one of the new marlin xt-22 but wants the tubular magazine. Im arguing that anything hanging off of the barrel will not do anything to enhance accuracy but he is hung up on having 17rounds in a single load.

Any comments on the xt-22 in general? I know the Mark II models get a lot of love for the price range but have not heard a lot about the marlins. Will they take the savage bases, rails and stocks?

Re: Tube magazine questions

the xt series will take anything a marlin 925 will take.

good range reports of +50 yards are hard to come by. however the 25 and 925 predecessors are quite the shooters for a sporter sized barrel.

17 rounds in a single load is nice, however ask the friend how long does it take for the REload.

the only thing i can offer, and only a theory, is that the tubular has more parts to it that can malfunction or needs to be in perfect working order for proper feeding. i'm not sure if there is a loss in accuracccy, but as you eluded to, having something non adjustable hanging off the bottom of the barrel can't be all that accuracy improving.

Thanks TP, I was digging post and you seem to have the most info on the xt series. Do you have a barrel diameter for the standard vs the heavy barrel? I want a short barrel and was leaning towards chopping the heavy barrel to 16" or getting the youth model which comes with a standard weight at 16". Either way it will be going into a boyds Rimfire target. Thanks for the info.

i wish i had the most info first hand, but don't. just mostly what guys have been trickling out on a few forums.

i think, much like any rifle, the heavy barrel will be the stiffest and best to cut down.

i'm most likely ordeing an XTVR this week, hopefully i'll have some firsthand info in the next couple weeks. but from tinkering with it's forefathers the model 25 and 925, it's a heck of a shooting rifle in it's sporter configuration, the heavy barreled traditionally will be even better.

D.I.P. make a whole bunch of stuff for the XT series.

Thanks, Im out in Hawaii so I cannot even find one on the big island to look at. If you could throw calipers on either barrel I would appreciate it.