• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tumbler only?

300wmSlick

Slick
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Indiana
So does anyone use an ultra sonic cleaner for their brass? Or just use a vibrating tumbler?
Currently I am just using a Lyman tumbler, but I also have a (small) ultra sonic cleaner I could use as well that I've used on gun parts and the wife's jewelry in the past.
Would use the ultra sonic cleaner do as good of or close to as good of a job as my tumbler?
I'm pretty new to reloading so I figured I would see what other people's opinions are on this issue.
Thanks for any advice/input.

John

I think the consensus is that ultrasonic is third in line after vibratory and then steel. Here is a good comparison.

People use everything.
Before, I used steel but it kept my necks very clean inside and caused inconsistencies when I settled the bullets.
Now I use vibrating tumbler because I like to leave the carbon inside the neck

I start by depriming the brass. This allows the primer pocket to be cleaned and prevents air from being trapped in some cases thus preventing the liquid solution from cleaning the inside of the case.

Put the cases in an ultra sonic cleaner for 1 hr. Solution is 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine to 1 pt of water. Add 2-3 drops of Armor All Wash & Wax.

NOTE: Don't keep brass in solution more than 1 hr or increase the amount of Lemishine. Your brass will turn pink. The solution will contain the primer and carbon residue that would have contaminated your tumbler dry media. Therefore, your dry media will last a long time as it is only used for polishing and not cleaning. This method also keeps primer & carbon residue in a solution and not in a tumbler where it can become airborne.

Dry in a Lyman Cyclone brass dryer for 1 hr.

Tumble for 60-90 minutes in walnut shell media (Zilla Ground English Walnut Shells Desert Blend from Amazon) with some Nu-Finish car polish. This media will not get stuck in flash holes. Throw in a used dryer sheet to keep down the dust.

I don't use the pin method for several reasons. I have seen evidence of damage to case necks and I don't like the idea of brass being work hardened, even slightly. I have several shooter friends who have had pins stick in the cases. Just for that reason I won't use this method. Just watching a demo on YouTube of the process looks way too complicated, not hard, just more work than what I want to do.

I know I'll get replies countering this last paragraph but that's my view.

I have a 3L ultrasonic cleaner that is my only cleaner when I'm just shooting for myself. I use Bore Tech's case clean, and an hour in the cleaner takes care of most, if not all of the carbon on and in a case, including primer pockets. The stuff that isn't gone is easy to wipe off.

The thing about ultrasonic cleaning is that it gets cases clean, but not shiny. Cases will look a little dull, and potentially a little blotchy, depending on your water.

If I'm taking someone shooting for the first time, or loading for someone else, I'll dry tumble after ultrasonic to get the cases looking like new. I like the ultrasonic because it's easy. Just drop in the cases, put in the solution/water, and hit the go button. And if I'm the one shooting, I don't care how they look, just how they shoot.

Wet tumbling with stainless chips, which are faster and better than steel pins.

I’ve always used a Lyman 1200 tumbler with walnut and was never that impressed until I started using polish in it with meths to help disperse it. Now I get nice clean cases in 2 hours and no wet cases to deal with.

I got mine from Southern Shine Media. dont know if they have a webpage, but if you google them you'll find them.

can you please link to the chips you are referring to?

Here is some....

Here is some....

Cracking stuff. Thank you