• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tumbling brass

grunt0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2008
OH
I have been reloading brass for about 12+ years now and have never tumbled brass. I hear that most guys do. What are the advantages of tumbling brass? Any advice I would appreciate.

Thanks

Re: Tumbling brass

00 steel wool works well for me and an ultrasonic cleaner with 1/2 and 1/2 Hot Water and Hot Vinegar plus a couple drops of Dawn Dish Soap

"What are the advantages of tumbling brass?"

JPipes puts it in a nut shell. Wipe your cases clean and it will do you just as well. And did so for all of us prior to about '75 when tumblers first became widely available, all other comments about "die wear" and "easy to see defect" not withstanding!

I have always used steel wool for cases. I didnt know if there were any advantages tumbling or not. Thanks for the help. I wont have to spend $$$ on a machine that tumbles. $3 steel wool works well for me.

I never tumbled brass for years until I got a tumbler. Now I always have nice shiny brass. Shooting action pistol and rifle games a lot of brass hits the ground and gets dirty. I'm sure polished brass runs better through progressive presses and auto loading weapons as well. It's so easy there's no reason not to tumble.

I do reload in volume. Have little over 1k rounds for each caliber that I have. I just have used steel wool to clean cases. Does the tumbling get the brass cleaner than using steel wool? How long would it take to tumble 200-300 rounds?

So what kind of tumbler is everyone using? Please provide link if possible. There is a gun show this weekend so I might think about get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what kind of tumbler is everyone using? Please provide link if possible. There is a gun show this weekend so I might think about get one.</div></div>

I like my Thumlers Tumbler Model "B"! I have been running the one for 12yrs plus with no issues other than changing the rubber drive belt ($4). I have also started using Stainless Steel medial with it!

Here are two links concerning the topic!

Stainless Steel Media link

Stainless Steel Testamonials

Terry

I drink blue cool-aid. I use Dillons viratory case cleaner and about 3 oz of their brass polish. I fill it up with brass and run it for about 2-3 hours. Cleaned 1000 .45 cases today. Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrystalVue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drink blue cool-aid. I use Dillons viratory case cleaner ... </div></div>

+1... I love mine as well.

I went the Cheap Way(TM) with the tumbler, the Cabela's one
smile.gif

So far it is doing it's job, plus IIRC it has a nice 3 years warranty.

when i tumble my brass i get a small residue inside the shell case. Does anyone attempt to clean out the inside of the case. and how about flash hole reaming. is this necessary

Kirk

I just switched to stainless media with a thumler's model b after reading terry's report. I will never go back to vibratory and walnut ever again. i have never seen brass so shiny inside and out. I didn't think it was even possible to get it this way without polishing each case individually by hand.

+1 on Dillon. And if you keep your brass clean and shiny, you'll find them a lot easier.

I have 2 Thumbler's tumblers and have used them for years. I buy my media.......both crushed walnut and corn cob from a sandblaste supply warehouse. They have different sizes of both medias too choose from so I pick one that won't get stuck in the primer pocket flash hole. To make my cases shine......i use "FLITZ" polish additive in the media. This stuff is amazing.

The great things about about the stainless media are:

-it will last forever if you dont lose it
-it is magnetic, so clean up is a breeze
-it doesn't get stuck in primer pockets or flash holes
-it doesn't require polish, just soap and water
-it cleans every little bit of the case, inside and out
-it cleans better than anything I have ever seen

the cons:

-it requires the use of a rotary tumbler
-it requires water, which some guys don't like
-it takes a bit longer, but the process can be shortened with a faster motor or adding some citric acid

In all, tumbling with stainless media has been much more fruitful for me. I don't have to dig media out of the flash holes and primer pockets anymore. Just dump the water, rinse, separate, dry, and done!!! I look forward to tumbling now because the results are so spectacular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
the cons:

-it requires the use of a rotary tumbler
-it requires water, which some guys don't like
-it takes a bit longer, but the process can be shortened with a faster motor or adding some citric acid

</div></div>

Can you show me some pics of before and after of the brass. What rotary tumbler do you use? Why would water be a problem? How do you dry your brass?

You can throw your brass in the oven with the temp set to 150F for an hour or two, it will be ok the temperature is too low to anneal brass.

Suasponte (Terry) referenced two links to previous threads that gives you all the info on the ss media a little earlier in this thread. Click on the links a couple of real smart guys put a ton of info in them. Alot of pics and videos too. The stuff looks great I'm ordering mine tomorrow now I just have to get my rotary tumbler.

When I get back home, I will definitely post some before/after pics. The water is not a problem for me, but some guys don't like the idea of having to dry the brass, as it is one more step for them. If you leave wet brass out to air dry, the primer pockets will build up with oxidized copper (green/bluish powder) in a few hours. You then have to manually clean each primer pocket, which is a major pain in the ass. As Terry did, I took an ammo can and placed a computer axial fan and a 60 W lightbulb inside. I made a platform with 3 layers of chicken wire zip tied together to place the brass on. A bunch of drilling and screwing in the can, and it is done. I dump the brass onto the wire platform, turn on the fan and light, close the lid, and in no time they are dry with no oxidation. I am using a thumler's model b rotary tumbler. It works wonders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can throw your brass in the oven with the temp set to 150F for an hour or two, it will be ok the temperature is too low to anneal brass. </div></div>

I have done this myself, but I don't like having to utilize kitchen appliances for dirty work. I also don't want to have to remember to babysit the oven. With the dry box, all I do is turn it on, and there are no worries if I forget to turn it off if I leave the house.