• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tuners For Large Frame Rifles

otnot

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
I recently bought a JP LRI in 6.5 CM. I did all the load development I could but due to the limitations of the magazine of the seating depth I had to stop at 2.814 OAL. It shot consistent .75 MOA groups but I knew it could do better. I really didn't like the 4 lb factory trigger pull so I replaced it with a Triggertech Diamond and set it down to 1.5 lbs. The groups got tighter but still not what I thought they should be. (I know the AR platform is more difficult to shoot)

So one day I happened to see a video of Eric Cortina tuning an AR10 with one of his EC tuner/breaks and thought to myself what the hell it might be what the Dr. ordered so I bought one. I really had my doubts, but after one tuning session I was impressed with the results. This is a picture of the tune: The top row was a quick powder charge test to see what the new tuner liked for a charge. Then I started at a 0 setting and increments of 2 I went to 12. As you can see it settled in at 6-8 and then started to open back up after that. I settled on 7. I think a tuner is a good addition to the AR platform.
IMG_0471[1027]  Tuner break.jpg

Well sir from my experience it’s damn near impossible to replicate test results due to all the variables involved. I can say this from other tests (different charges) that it tuned very similar to the above test just at different settings.

Now, go back and redo the test and see if you get the same results... Not saying they don't work, but there is not enough data for a statistically relevant assessment in the test presented above.
And as a control, shoot the same amount of groups without a tuner.

I bet from a performance and statistics perspective that not much changes.

Well sir from my experience it’s damn near impossible to replicate test results due to all the variables involved. I can say this from other tests (different charges) that it tuned very similar to the above test just at different settings.
If it is not reproducible, is it valid?

Interesting .

I have a BAR Mark II with the BOSS system, the BOSS system certainly does effect the precision of the numerous factory loads tried in that BAR.

It took a while for me to figure out the "sweet" spot for the various elk hunting loads I used, but it did shrink group sizes when dailed in correctly.

For that matter, when dailed in wrong, I could readily increase group sizes.

For a hunting rifle, it kinda turned into a PITA... trying different loads required retuning.

Lol, at the time, I think I fired more ammo tuning it than I did fire at Elk.

This was used years ago, so long ago I had a Shepard Scope on it, The Shepard Scope was one of the first Range finding scopes I had ever seen.

For a long distance precision rifle... that has a specific load used routinely, I'd give something like this a try again.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Earnhardt
If it is not reproducible, is it valid?
That's kind of the crux of it.

There's so much statistical variance in our groups, that it's easy to fool ourselves with one small group - especially if it's two or three shots. Open up the sample size and all of a sudden that sweet looking group just appears to be an outlier that may be hard to repeat.

I learned this the hard way doing a bunch of testing with the original RDF bullets. Then with the "Satterlee method" of reloading. And again when the tuner craze hit our disciplines, and I got my hands on a prototype tuner/brake model and did a bunch of testing with it.

As shooters, we assign way to much value to small data sets that are statistically insignificant.

Take that "optimal" tuner setting, and shoot a 5x5 with it. Take the tuner off, and shoot a 5x5. Do this over a few days and various conditions. I bet the tuner starts appearing a lot less relevant.

That's kind of the crux of it.

There's so much statistical variance in our groups, that it's easy to fool ourselves with one small group - especially if it's two or three shots. Open up the sample size and all of a sudden that sweet looking group just appears to be an outlier that may be hard to repeat.

I learned this the hard way doing a bunch of testing with the original RDF bullets. Then with the "Satterlee method" of reloading. And again when the tuner craze hit our disciplines, and I got my hands on a prototype tuner/brake model and did a bunch of testing with it.

As shooters, we assign way to much value to small data sets that are statistically insignificant.

Take that "optimal" tuner setting, and shoot a 5x5 with it. Take the tuner off, and shoot a 5x5. Do this over a few days and various conditions. I bet the tuner starts appearing a lot less relevant.
In the pursuit of transparency, I have a Kinetic Security Solutions tuner on a 224 predator that wasn't shooting like I wanted it to. It shoots better with the tuner on it than it does with it off. But, the best setting that I found- in my testing- was the starting point. Luck? Lack of statistical relevance? I don't know, but it shoots smaller groups at 100 yards with the tuner than without, and at the first setting that I tried...

Jeez, you're going to owe AB and Brian Litz royalties on that post...😳
I am pretty sure that the above single-use reproduction of limited content for the purpose of commentary is protected by the U.S. Copyright Fair Use doctrine and further explained in its U.S. Copyright Office Circular #21.

Reactions: 6.5SH
I was going to buy one of these and try it out as well with one my Proof 6.5CM Large Frame AR's, I felt with the notable difference in Barrel harmonics with SS Vs Carbon Fiber would be a fun experiment.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I was going to buy one of these and try it out as well with one my Proof 6.5CM Large Frame AR's, I felt with the notable difference in Barrel harmonics with SS Vs Carbon Fiber would be a fun experiment.
Certainly worth trying if you want to experiment.

Report back with your results.

Reactions: bigjake83
Thank you for posting that, very interesting. These are all topics I have pondered over the years, but have never fully completed the thought into something linearly applied as it was placed on those pages.

Could I trouble you to DM me a couple pics of the page or two following your last pic (under the sub-heading, "Benchrest, or group shooting...")? If it's too much of a PITA, no worries, just wanted to see Bryan's discussion on that.

Reactions: bigjake83