• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tuners on AR15 barrels

Roslyn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
Interested whether anyone has tried a tuner or tuner/brake on an AR15 barrel, using commercial ammunition. Helps, hurts, no difference? I am shooting a JP with a 16 inch barrel, and am not going to reload for it. It will shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards when I am on my game, but wondering whether there is more I can get from it with a tuner. I shoot bolt guns with very tight groups using reloaded ammunition, so my OCD is leading me down this rabbit hole.

It seems to like 69 gr Black Hills best, 55 gr is 1.5 MOA on a good day, and 77 gr seems to vary by lot, some better some worse.

Would appreciate any insights. And if I anyone has a suggestion for another brand of ammunition for this rig, let me know. I haven't tried any others since this is what I happen to have in inventory at the moment.

Most ammo loaded with SMK's or TMK's should be worth trying. I dont see a lot of Hornanady match ammo unless its Hornady branded. Their Vmax ammo in 55 grain is very accurate ammo. I prefer heavier bullets and Black Hills is the GOAT for speed and accuracy.

Hard to duplicate BH's.

PB

I can’t say anything about using with factory ammo as I’ve not shot factory in years.

I have an EC tuner on a precision upper with a white oak barrel that my smith built for me and I’ve shot in the 3’s when I’m on using Berger 55 tips in my hand loads so I’d have to say I’m favorably impressed with the tuner so far.

Interested in how you use the tuner for hand loads. Set tuner at zero, find a load, and then adjust tuner as you get erosion in the throat? Something else?

And Pappasniper, thanks for the note about SMK and TMKs, I will try them.

I set the tuner at zero and then adjusted it to my load. This is a new upper, built about a year ago and so far, there hasn't been enough erosion in the throat to make any changes but if accuracy shifts then I will dial in the tuner to compensate.

Interested whether anyone has tried a tuner or tuner/brake on an AR15 barrel, using commercial ammunition. Helps, hurts, no difference? I am shooting a JP with a 16 inch barrel, and am not going to reload for it. It will shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards when I am on my game, but wondering whether there is more I can get from it with a tuner. I shoot bolt guns with very tight groups using reloaded ammunition, so my OCD is leading me down this rabbit hole.

It seems to like 69 gr Black Hills best, 55 gr is 1.5 MOA on a good day, and 77 gr seems to vary by lot, some better some worse.

Would appreciate any insights. And if I anyone has a suggestion for another brand of ammunition for this rig, let me know. I haven't tried any others since this is what I happen to have in inventory at the moment.
Are you using the factory muzzle device?

Yes. Don't know the brand, it is whatever JP makes standard with their uppers.

No, but mainly because I run a suppressor as often as possible. Thunderbeast nor anybody else doesn't make one that would work AFAIK. Of course I'm running Area 419 hellfire adapters so the brake/tuner would have to screw onto that so...

Joe Carlos from the AMU experimented with them and discussed his experiences on video a while back.

He indicated that they seemed to work at dampening barrel harmonics in certain positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigjake83
John Carlos from the AMU experimented with them and discussed his experiences on video a while back.

He indicated that they seemed to work at dampening barrel harmonics in certain positions.

Would you happen to have a link to the video?

Reactions: simonp
It’s in this video series:

I can’t find the exact one where he goes over it, but it was released with these in a series of short videos.

Thanks.

For anyone else looking-
In "AR-15 Barrel Harmonics (1 of 3)" he talks about timing the flash hider with peel washers as a tuner, and Part 3 is commercial tuners, although neither is super in depth.

Reactions: LRRPF52 and simonp
Thanks.

For anyone else looking-
In "AR-15 Barrel Harmonics (1 of 3)" he talks about timing the flash hider with peel washers as a tuner, and Part 3 is commercial tuners, although neither is super in depth.

That's one of the other benefits to the American Precision arms muzzle devices, you can turn them in and out to tune the barrel even further.