• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)

bob6117

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2007
Pennsylvania
I did a search and did not come up with much.
I am looking for an alternative to running moly in my 30-06.
The purpose of this is to achive a higher round count before copper fouling becomes an issue.
What I came up with so far with WS2 is as follows:
1. Cheap / easy application
2. Will not build up in barrel
3. Will not react in a negitive manner to moisture like moly.
That's about it, I would appreciate anyone's experience with WS2 positive or negitive.
To be clear I have never used Moly, so I may be misinformed on some of it's negitive aspects.
Thanks
Bob

Re: Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!</span></span>

Google "Tungsten Disulfide health hazards" and you'll find a material hazard data sheet that says,

"two Russian studies that found early signs of pulmonary fibrosis in some workers exposed to tungsten"

Here is my experience using Tungsten Disulfide.

I have used Tungsten Disulfide and <span style="font-style: italic">as much as I like the results</span>, the hazards are significant! Tungsten Disulfide is made up of particals measured in microns, that's one thousandth of a millimeter.

In inches, 1 micron equals 0.00000393 of an inch.

Tungsten Disulfide is so small that it will float on the slightest breeze. It's so small that it gets <span style="font-weight: bold">EVERYWHERE</span> and is a nightmare to control.

If you have kids, or want to have kids, don't use the stuff. In short, unless you have lab equipment such as a gloved sealed chamber to work in the Tungsten Disulfide will spread everywhere.

Hazmat Glove Box

If it gets on your skin (lets say your finger tips), you'll find that even after washing, until those skin cells wear off the Tungsten Disulfide will still be there and particals will be left everywhere you touch things.

If you use Tungsten Disulfide do so in very limited quantities. Do <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> turn your bullets silver or blacks (like I did) with the stuff, just use a quarter of a teaspoon for coating several hundred bullets.

- Get yourself a non-breakable container, I used hard clear plastic camping jars with screw on lids and a few ball bearings (optional).

- Insert bullets, ball bearings (optional) and quarter of a teaspoon of Tungsten Disulfide into water bottle.

- Screw on lid tightly.

- I used 100 mph tape (Duct tape) to seal the lid.

- Roll or shake lightly the jar for 15 minutes or so.

NOTE: One method I used with good success is I'd cram a couple hundred of bullets with a few ball bearings and Tungsten Disulfide into a jar and seal the lid using several wraps of duct tape.

- Place jar in a bed of tumbler media using a "Quarantined" tumbler.

- This tumbler and it's media should not be used for anything else.

- Let tumbler run for as long as you'd like.

- Shut down tumbler and notice how the color of the media has changed. that is Tungsten Disulfide leaking out.

- put on latex gloves and in a still (no breeze) area remove duct tape sealing jar. Notice dis-coloration of the inside of the tape. (leakage).

- seperate bullets from ball bearing and place bullets in a user friendly plastic container.

- secure tumbler, media, jar and ball bearings so they will not leak Tungsten Disulfide into the air.

- wipe excess Tungsten Disulfide off bullets, I used soft paper towels to do so.

- load and shoot.

I hope this helps, but frankly I don't believe the health risks are worth saving a few bucks on a new barrel.

Material Safety Data Sheet

Chemical Name: TUNGSTEN DISULFIDE (M K Impex Product # MK-WS2-XX)
Trade Name/Synonyms: TUNGSTEN DISULFIDE, TUNGSTEN DISULPHIDE, TUNGSTEN SULFIDE
Chemical Family: REFRACTORY METAL SULFIDE
CAS Number: 12138-09-9 Formula: WS2 Molecular Weight: 248.02
PHYSICAL DATA
Appearance & Odor:
GRAYISH-BLACK POWDER, NO ODOR
Boiling Point: N/A
Vapor Pressure: (mm HG) N/A
Vapor Density: (air=1) N/A
Solubility in Water: INSOLUBLE
Specific Gravity: (H2O=1) 7.4
Percent Volatile by Volume: 0
Evaporation Rate: N/A
How Best Monitored: AIR SAMPLE
NON-HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS
Material: TUNGSTEN DISULFIDE
Percent by Weight: 100
ACGIH TLV: 5MG/M3
LIMIT IS FOR INSOLUBLE COMPOUNDS AS W
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
ROUTES OF EXPOSURE: material can be inhaled, swallowed, or come in contact with the
skin or eyes.
EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE: dust and inhalation may cause mild irritation of the nose
and throat. With the exception of TOW Russian studies that found early signs of pulmonary
fibrosis in some workers exposed to tungsten trioxide, tungsten metal, and tungsten carbide,
most studies have shown that insoluble tungsten compounds to be toxicologically inert. Skin
and eye contact may cause irritation due to the abrasiveness of the dust. Recent scientific
evidence indicates no adverse effects are likely from accidental ingestion of small amounts of
the material.
EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES: inhalation- if symptoms of pulmonary
involvement develop, remove from exposure and seek medical attention; skin contact- if
irritation occurs, thoroughly wash affected area with mild soap and water and prevent further
contact, contact medical help if irritation persists; eye contact- if irritation occurs, flush with
copious amounts of a water, contact medical help if irritation persists; ingestion- if
substantial quantities are swallowed, give person (if conscious) a large quantity of water to
drink, induce vomiting, and seek medical attention; carcinogenic assessment- NTP Annual
Report, IARC monographs, et. al.) this material has not been identified as a known or
suspected carcinogen by NTP, IARC, or OSHA.
FIRE & EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA
Flash Point: N/A
Flammability Limits: N/A
NO FIRE HAZARD, USE EXTINGUISHING AGENTS SUITABLE FOR
SURROUNDING FIRE. SPECIAL PROCEDURES: USE A SELF-CONTAINED
BREATHING APPARATUS TO PREVENT INHALATION OF DUST, MIST OR FUMES
THAT MAY BE GENERATED DURING FIRE FIGHTING ACTIVITIES. NO UNUSUAL
FIRE OR EXPLOSION HAZARDS.
M K Impex Canada Page 2
REACTIVITY DATA
Stability: STABLE
Conditions to avoid: N/A
Incompatible Materials to Avoid: CONTACT WITH STRONG ACIDS MAY GENERATE
HYDROGEN SULFIDE
Hazardous Decomposition Products: OXIDES OF SULFUR AND TUNGSTEN MAY BE
EVOLVED AT EXTREME TEMPERATURES
SPILL & LEAK PROCEDURES
IF SPILLED OR RELEASED- VENTILATE AREA OF SPILL, CLEAN-UP USING
METHODS WHICH AVOID DUST GENERATION, SUCH AS VACUUMING WITH
APPROPRIATE FILTER, WET DUST MOP, OR WET CLEAN-UP. IF DUST IS
GENERATED, USE APPROVED NIOSH RESPIRATOR.
DISPOSAL-DISPOSE OF IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPROPRIATE FEDERAL,
STATE, AND LOCAL REGULATIONS
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION- USE AN APPROPRIATE NIOSH APPROVED
RESPIRATOR IF AIRBORNE DUST LEVELS EXCEED THE TLV, APPROPRIATE
REQUIREMENTS SET FORTH IN 29 CFR 1910.134 SHOULD BE MET
VENTILATION- USE LOCAL EXHAUST WHICH IS ADEQUATE TO LIMIT
EXPOSURE LEVELS BELOW TLV
GLOVES-GLOVES ARE RECOMMENDED
EYE PROTECTION- RECOMMENDED
SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS
Handling and Storage: MAINTAIN GOOD HOUSE KEEPING PROCEDURES TO
PREVENT ACUMULATION OF DUST; USE CLEAN-UP METHODS WHICH
MINIMIZE DUST GENERATION
Other Precautions:
WASH THROROUGHLY AFTER HANDLING AND BEFORE EATING, SMOKING,
AND END OF WORK SHIFT; DO NOT SHAKE CLOTHING TO REMOVE DUST;
AVOID INHALATION, INGESTION, AND DIRECT SKIN CONTACT
Although M K Impex Canada has attempted to provide current and accurate information
therein, M K Impex Canada makes no representations regarding the accuracy or
completeness of information and assumes no liability for any loss, damage, or injury of any
kind which may result from, or arise out of, the use of or reliance on the information by any
person.
Sold by:
M K Impex Canada
7432 Catalpa Road
Mississauga, Ontario L4T 2T3, Canada
Phone: 416-509-4462
Fax: 905-461-9238
www.lowerfriction.com
[email protected]

+1 on HBN, Wil gave me an ounce and it did over 3000 bullets. I clean every 400-500 rounds becuase I feel guilty but Im not seeing any copper coming out, just carbon and powder fouling.

Thanks for the information everyone.
It sounds like HbN is the way to go, I appreciate the feedback.
Bob