• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tungsten replacement Wt's in buffer tubes ?

Old Corps 8541

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2022
Milton FL
Does replacing buffer tube Wt's with Tungsten Wt's help with slowing down the cycling / bolt unlocking time ?
I just traded for an OME stock 308 AR with a 26" Bbl. as best I can measure the distance from the GB to the bolt is 14".
Probably don't plan to load any hotter than what Hodgdon lists for their "service rifle"

Running a 308, H3 or 5.4 oz buffer should be the MINIMUM buffer weight to start with and usually go up from there. Just my experience.

I have an LR in .243 Win with 24" barrel w/rifle-length gas tube and adjustable gas block. I replaced the weights in a rifle-length buffer with tungsten to increase the buffer weight to 9 oz. I use a shortened AR15 rifle-length buffer spring, the 9 oz LR 308 rifle-length buffer, rifle-length gas tube, and an adjustable gas block tuned to lock the bolt back on an empty mag. Heavier buffer and reduced gas keeps my bolt locked longer than with the stock buffer weight configuration. Using the heavier buffer I get significantly less ejector swipe on my brass than before the extra weight. Lighter buffer spring reduces the forward impulse of the BCG when loading and locking the next round.

I have a .308 Win configured similarly but with a rifle+2" gas tube. It shoots great too. I highly recommend adding the tungsten.