• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tuning buffer/spring for a lightweight titanium BCG

Ape_Factory

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
San Antonio, Texas
I'm mid-build, trying to shed weight from a very average Del-Ton AR15 (there ain't much Del-Ton left). I went back and forth over bolt carrier groups and settled on the Rubber City Armory titanium setup with the POF roller pin. I have a POF Revolution DI as well so I'm familiar with their engineering and like the roller pin concept. First time messing with BCG weight.

Went back and forth between the 2A titanium regulated and the RCA non-regulated with an adjustable gas block. I didn't like the RCA's regulated gas key design but did like their coatings as well as the POF roller pin. Actually purchased both but finally settled on the RCA with a Superlative Arms gas block after more research even though the 2A was lighter. I was planning some additional weight savings by going with the Master of Arms gas block but couldn't find it in stock and the SA has the ability to run as a standard adjustable gas block as well as a bleed.

Here are the specs:
-16" barrel, mid-length gas system, 1:8 twist
-SA adjustable gas block
-RCA titanium BCG with POF roller pin (7.7oz)
-H buffer with all the weights removed
-Springco "Red" spring
-Ammo will be in the 50 or 55 grain range although I may experiment up to 62. All hand loads.

The OEM mil-spec BCG came in at 11.2oz. Reading on 2A's page, they recommended a standard buffer with the weights removed and a Springco Red. I have both in addition to a Strike Industries flat wire spring. Given the fact the BCG is a massive (sarcasm) 2oz heavier than the 2A, am I still going in the right direction given I can make adjustments with the gas block? Or should I purchase a few extra buffers and have them at different weights for testing purposes while at the range?

It will run a suppressor in the future, for now it's just a muzzle brake.

Reactions: JS8588
Since you're using an adjustable gas block, your goal should be to use a (relatively) lighter buffer & a lower weight spring.

I start with a carbine weight (3.0 oz) buffer & a Sprinco "white" standard, & then go to a "yellow" (reduced power) spring if possible.

Using heavier buffers & springs defeats the purpose of a lightweight BCG. You may even be able to reduce the buffer weight as well, depending on your individual gun's performance.

JME, JMHO,

MM

Reactions: Odysseus1911
Appreciated. I'll have to order a few more springs to play with those. I went ahead and ordered a field-adjustable buffer so I can mess with weights as well.

I currently have the H buffer with all the weights removed but with a stronger than normal Springco red per 2A Armament's recommendation for their lightweight BCG. Theirs comes in two ounces lighter though so not sure my bcg will work with the same buffer/spring combo.

If my thinking is correct, going from a carbine to a mid-length would also help a bit.