• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tuning idea? Your thoughts?

AccuSol-ERN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
Baker, FL
accuratesolutionsllc.com
SO I got to thinking.......has anyone used a self-timing brake (like a gen2 little bastard) as a tuner? Or more importantly has anyone had their rifle really dialed in to the gnats ass then removed the brake to clean the crown and reinstalled and accuracy dropped off with the same ammo?

This is not a question to promote ignoring cleaning/maintenance......but wondering if there is a repeatability difference between brake designs that use a jam nut and designs that use a taper interface (like area419). It seems like the area419 would place the length and weight in the same spot each time but an APA may vary if the brake is not clocked to exactly the same spot.

If this is indeed the case, the APA may lend itself to slight clocking offsets for tuneability?

Your thoughts?

Ern

Nope. A self timer should go back to where it was unless the user screws it up some how. You screw it in until it touches and then back out until the brake top is on top and tighten the nut. I have taken mine off a lot and no issues going right back to where they were and accuracy is the same.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
You could use a self timing brake as a tuner, albeit very course adjustment. Full revolutions are a lot of adjustment. So I'd try a brake that's the same port geometry top to bottom, not directional for muzzle force, that way you could tune with half revolutions. Area 419 brakes that interfave with an adapter will in theory not change tune as it's always the same distance from chamber no matter the orientation.

You could use a self timing brake as a tuner, albeit very course adjustment. Full revolutions are a lot of adjustment. So I'd try a brake that's the same port geometry top to bottom, not directional for muzzle force, that way you could tune with half revolutions. Area 419 brakes that interfave with an adapter will in theory not change tune as it's always the same distance from chamber no matter the orientation.

I believe David Tubb's self timing brake is designed to also work as a coarse tuner. I know individuals that have used it as such.

I've never had an issue with a self-timing brake not indexing at the same point and then somehow changing the "tune" of the rifle. I have had brakes come loose and cause issues downrange.

Nope. A self timer should go back to where it was unless the user screws it up some how. You screw it in until it touches and then back out until the brake top is on top and tighten the nut. I have taken mine off a lot and no issues going right back to where they were and accuracy is the same.
Same here - I'm running an Area 419 Hellfire and I take it off all the time and clean. Accuracy and POI has never changed.

VooDoo

Reactions: Rob01
Yeah I was thinking that mounting an APA slighty slanted may act like a tuner.......coarse adjustments......to achieve that difference in weight (or distance from muzzle).

Sounds like it is not enough to notice anyway.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Ern

Reactions: Rob01