• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tuning my handloads

WebWalker

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2011
Canada
www.68z28.com
I'm going to do some load development for my old Rem 700 BDL 22.250.
I did a lot of testing, 212 groups in 24 different bullet/powder/primer configurations, back in 1983. At that time it agg'd .379" with StdDev of .101 (5 shot groups-100yds), that was with Nosler 50gr Match which are no longer available.

Now I've bought 100 Lapua cases, Fed LR Match primers, 4064 and Berger 52gr match bullets.
I want to test .005, .010, and .015 off of the lands first using a recommended load of 4064, determine what the rifle likes, then play with the powder loads.
Does this make sense?
thanks in advance

Last edited:
I like to start low on the powder charge with the bullet jammed for 22cals and 6mm.Once I find a good charge weight I starting working back from jam adjusting the seating depth to fine tune.This is all for not if you cant reach the lands in your factory rifle or your limited to mag length and dont want to single feed.