• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tuning the action on a 10/22

layinclose2hell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Texas
I am slightly confused with my 10/22's performance with subs. It has a GM 20" SS barrel, and she loves Wolf Target, Match Extra, and winchester super x H/V, and definately not fond of the CCI flavors I have been able to try. However, the bolt will cycle and load the following round with subs but not reset the trigger, leaving a live round in the chamber and no trigger. This beggs the question of how much I should trim the spring on the guide rod. Is there a good basis to start from, or is there something I have not found pertaing to the action. The guts are all VQ at 2.5# pull, and R/T tactical bolt knob.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Re: Tuning the action on a 10/22

Instead of trimming the spring, try chamfering the back of the bolt.
588440211.jpg

This changes the geometry of how the bolt contacts the hammer and leverage makes the hammer easier to cock.

Here is a DIY how to on this proceedure:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251031

Thanks for the input. I tore it down yesterday, and slightly rounded the rear of the bolt putting a radius taper on it, barely took off any metal as I figured I would try a little at a time to find the balance. After the second assembly and test fire, she cycled 150 rounds without a FTF/FTE, and seems to be working perfectly.
Thank you all again, it is refreshing to be able to get productive info.
grin.gif

I would recommend you go to the rimfire central forum....tons of information on 10/22...built my rifle from the information on the site and it is a shooter

Before you do all the stuff you are probably going to do any way....check to see that the trigger return spring has the c-clip retainer with the cut out facing up....it can cause some problems

I also like to polish the inside of the receiver and the bolt, it cycles better IMO.

I'm glad you found a solution.

.22LR ammo varies quite a bit when it comes down to reliably cycling a recoil operated semi.

The fix you appied will help lighter recoiling rounds to cycle better, but may also cause stovepipes with High/Hyper velocity ammo.

If so, either avoid the High/Hyper velocity stuff, or try adding a recoil buffer.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fix you appied will help lighter recoiling rounds to cycle better, but may also cause stovepipes with High/Hyper velocity ammo.

If so, either avoid the High/Hyper velocity stuff, or try adding a recoil buffer.

Greg </div></div>
Greg,

There is no reason to switch ammo due to stove pipe issues.
You just need to tune the extractor.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1849864
Works every time...

The reason this works, is by fitting the extractor so that is securely holds the case to the bolt, the ejector will make positive contact with it every time.
Since the extractor is holding one side of the brass, the impact of the ejector on the opposite side results in it being flung at a 45 degree angle out of the ejection port.
When stove piping occurs in a 10/22, the brass travels to the rear with the bolt, but instead of being flung out the ejection port,
the ejector just knocks the brass forward because the extractor is not in the properly engaged with the brass.

FWIW,
Since the 10/22 is a blow back action, the extractors only job is to remove un fired cartridges and to perform the function outlined above.
(It extracts nothing during the firing sequence since the brass is what is actuating the bolt.)

Thanks Doc; I had forgotten all about that. Good call.

Greg

Some very good information in your posts here Dr, am going to follow this advice on one of mine that has the same issues.

Any advice on bedding a 10-22 or does it matter so much?

Bedding does make a difference.
It is just a matter of whether or not you want it to be tunable or not.
The Volquartsen or Rimfire Technologies Bedding kit are a good solutions if you want to be able to have your rifle tunable to the ammunition you are using.

ABK-002-2T.jpg

http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/Ruger_10_22_Stage_2_Bedding_Kit_p/abk-002.htm
309374.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=309374
A traditional bedding job works well and is also repeatable.
gun042.jpg

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...791#Post2339791
The choice is yours...

The radius on the back of the bolt made a huge difference in my rifle. I went with a full 1/2 radius,then polished it and the hammer face to a mirror finish. I also added a buffer pin just in case the weight reduction increased the bolt speed significantly. I only run standard velocity ammo like wolf, CCI SV or Federal Auto Match.

I used the stage 2 tunable from Skeeter (R/T)for my build. I think it is fantastic, and the dialing in feature is cool, and works exceptionally well also. She is functioning flawlessly now, she just hates any flavor of CCI....