• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tuning the Factory Standard Rem700 Trigger

applevalleyjoe

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2009
Mohave Desert, California
I know that the factory trigger can be replaced with aftermarket triggers such as Timney, Jewell, Shileen, Basixx,Huber, et. al. But what can be done to the factory trigger to enhance/tune performance?

Re: Tuning the Factory Standard Rem700 Trigger

If it's an old style Remington trigger it can be adjusted. If you've never done it you'll probably spend an hour or two doing it.

If it's an X-mark trigger, buy a new one. Shilens are cheap and I love the feel of mine. Real narrow like a jewel.

If you have an old style Rem, look online for directions. Or take the stock off and call me. I'll walk you through the basics.

I love a tuned pre-2006 factory trigger. On a tactical rifle I really don't see anything gained with an aftermarket piece. If you are going for a super-light trigger on a bench/target gun, then maybe.

Factory triggers can be real pains, but unless they are unsafe, excessively heavy, or have some issue that makes their sear release really predictable; I'm inclined to simply go with the flow and use them, or at least adjust them to operate the best they can.

I think there's a drawback to getting used to a custom tuned trigger, in that it cuts back on the shooter's versatility. It's my feeling that a good all around marksman is capable of dealing with issues like sub-optimal trigger variations.

Greg