• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tuperware stock for $17.00 (Pic Heavy) (RANGE RPT)

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
I had heard of this being done and my brother wanted this done on his 7mm-08 Stevens 200 so I thought I'd give it a try. My objective is to make the Stevens 200 stock usable for very limited coin. These are my results so far:

Purchased:
Fiberglass bondo kit: $13.00
Aluminum L channel: $4.00

Started with a Base stagger-feed cheepo stock:
dscf3363n.jpg

By mwroseberry, shot with FinePix F480 at 2010-03-31

Next Dremel enough material out to ensure your L chanel will fit low enough not to come in contact with the barrel:
dscf3364y.jpg

Next Cut and trim your channel to ensure it does not come in contact with the barrel nut, Swivel stud bolt or end of stock:

dscf3365p.jpg

dscf3366t.jpg

dscf3368s.jpg

Next remove channel and mix and insert resin: I used half the bottle as the base, mixed it and made sure I filled each section of stock as I went (also ensure the stock has a slight forward tilt to keep reason back away from your recoil lug block):

dscf3369.jpg

Next insert channel into resin, make up next batch of resin this time using 1/2 of the remaining resin (1/4 of bottle). Insert reason around sides of channel and down middle of channel, then use stick in kit to move resin to outsides of channel as it begins to firm. Cut fiberglass material and insert into resin then skim coat top of material:

dscf3371.jpg

If you do get resin up against where recoil lug is to be placed cut resin with knife roughly 4-5min after install. Ensure you cut away enough material to ensure recoil lug properly seats against stock face:

dscf3374x.jpg

I'm currently waiting on the resin to dry and will post up more pics as I proceed with this project.

Stock has been completed. Steps shown below are simply sand to fit and Paint:

dscf3378.jpg

By mwroseberry, shot with FinePix F480 at 2010-04-02

dscf3379v.jpg

Rig Details:
Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 $250.00
EGW 20MOA base $45.00
Vortex 6-24x50 AO $99.00
Modded stock $17.00
Total: $411.00

url]

120gr Nosler Ballistic tip boat tails
IMR 3031 38gr
Winchestor Brass
CCI primers

At 100yrds after the barrel settled down:
url]

Not bad for under $425
wink.gif

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

Re: Tuperware stock usable for $17.00 (Pic Heavy)

I have thought about doing that to a flimsy 700 stock. It would make a good upgrade for a "behind the truckseat" rifle.

Nice work and writeup.

david

I'm working on a newer version of this but it will be a few days before it's complete. It uses the exact same materials only not only is the aluminum chanel going down the middle of the stock it is also going down the sides of the forearm and fiberglassed and molded to make it look like a B&C Medalist only much cheaper. Without the aluminum bedding block it won't be as accurate but it should only cost about $30.00 or so in materials.

Good Luck,
Merritt

after you get that done, use some JB Weld in the lug recess for a mini bedding job maybe?

I decided like I stated before to add some of the aluminum channel that I used down the middle of the stock and add it to the exterior of the stock. I used a hot glue gun to tack it into place before I fiberglassed them perminently in place. After fiberglass and sanding I added a bit of body filler to the outside to smooth the stock down and fine tune some of the problem areas. Here it is before and after primer and test fitted.

withbipod.jpg

By mwroseberry at 2011-01-09

stockfitted.jpg

By mwroseberry at 2011-01-09

I don't think it's half bad for 30.00 invested. Also I learned on this stock that if you take two pieces of card board, tape them up with electrical tape and spray them down with pam cooking spray you can put them down where the recoil lug goes and save yourself alot of time cutting and sanding later.

More pics will come after it's complete.

Good luck,
Merritt

Why not use Brownell's Acraglass fiberglass bedding compound in the recoil area to tighten it up? Will it not stick to the plastic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not use Brownell's Acraglass fiberglass bedding compound in the recoil area to tighten it up? Will it not stick to the plastic? </div></div>

That will work right at the action. The problem with the tuperware stock is not in the action it's in the forearm where it flexes. When you put the factory stock on a bipod and put weight forward into the bipod when shooting the stock flexes and touches the barrel, thereby throwing rounds all over the place. I'm doing this to stiffen the forearm and make it so you can shoot of a bipod or a bag that is placed farther down the forearm.

Good Luck,
Merritt

good ol AMERICAN ingenuity. I LOVE IT! good job and keep them ideas rolling.

chuck

hey Merrit-You think of chopping the forend of the stock squared or square rounded to get a M40 type foreend ??I think it would look sweet,jmo.It doesn't look like it would be too hard.I love the homework.can't wait to see more.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Widowmaker0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey Merrit-You think of chopping the forend of the stock squared or square rounded to get a M40 type foreend ??I think it would look sweet,jmo.It doesn't look like it would be too hard.I love the homework.can't wait to see more.Goodshootin'

~Reagan </div></div>

I looked at that but I was afraid of two things. One the sling swivel would have been too far forward and two by cutting the edge of the stock it would lose what stiffness it did have and I wanted to add and not remove from the forarm being as stiff as possible. This is just a temp stock for him until he can afford a XLR. I'll paint it up this weekend and post finished pics.

Thanks,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packratt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at this article http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/long-range-rig.php </div></div>

I think this dude wrote the article using all of my old posts
wink.gif
... lol jk. But my rig will be complete here within the next month as my new barrel should be in. My personal rig is as follows:

Stevens 200 action
Rifle Basix Sav-1
B&C Medalist
EGW 20moa base
TPS low rings
16x SS
SSS Bolt handle
New barrel: 26" Bull McGowen in 7mm-08 with a 1 in 8 twist

Currenly in 308 (stock noodle barrel) it shoots 1/4 to 1/2moa with handloads and I shot 2 out of 3 at 930 yards at my last match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Widowmaker0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey Merrit-You think of chopping the forend of the stock squared or square rounded to get a M40 type foreend ??I think it would look sweet,jmo.It doesn't look like it would be too hard.I love the homework.can't wait to see more.Goodshootin'

~Reagan </div></div>

I looked at that but I was afraid of two things. One the sling swivel would have been too far forward and two by cutting the edge of the stock it would lose what stiffness it did have and I wanted to add and not remove from the forarm being as stiff as possible. This is just a temp stock for him until he can afford a XLR. I'll paint it up this weekend and post finished pics.

Thanks,
Merritt </div></div>

Good point,sounds good man.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

Painted and installed. I'm going to install a 308 barrel and a 20x SS with TPS rings and an EGW 20moa base on Monday afternoon.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Thanks,
Merritt

I decided im going to do this with my Marlin xl7 tupperware take off stock. Thanks for the idea

One thing I found that helped alot is take a piece of cardboard and make it the same size as your recoil lug. Then wrap it with electrical tape and coat it with spray on cooking spray. Put it where your recoil lug should go before you pour the fiberglass in the forearm and it will keep you from having to dig it out later.

Good luck,
Merritt

I did something like that with a Savage stock, but on my latest 700 I decided to spend less time. So after installing a side sling swivel, I drilled holes between the plastic sections and mushed in Marine Tex. It still shoots under 1 MOA but shifted 4 MOA left. It is now at the smith being chopped from 26" to 22". Once I verify it still shoots fine, I'll then bed the lug and tang.