• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Turbo Tax donate to wounded soldiers option

anthony1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2010
ohio, sw
I did my taxes tonite and upon completing my state return i had the option of donating my $ (a whopping 36$) to either 1. A wounded soldier fund, 2. A wildlife area protection fund, or 3. An endangered species fund.

I decided to donate all of it but then after doing so began thinking, well, how do i know the appropriate organization will actually recieve this money? I dont want a thank you card or anything like that but how does one know the $ actually goes where its suppossed to?

Again, no big deal but the 6 lagunitas lil sumthins it took for me to do my taxes has me wondering.

Re: Turbo Tax donate to wounded soldiers option

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did my taxes tonite and upon completing my state return i had the option of donating my $ (a whopping 36$) to either 1. A wounded soldier fund, 2. A wildlife area protection fund, or 3. An endangered species fund.

I decided to donate all of it but then after doing so began thinking, well, how do i know the appropriate organization will actually recieve this money? I dont want a thank you card or anything like that but how does one know the $ actually goes where its suppossed to?

Again, no big deal but the 6 lagunitas lil sumthins it took for me to do my taxes has me wondering.

</div></div>

Before you donate anywhere make sure you find out what the 'charities' overhead % is. These numbers are hard to find (on purpose) and are usually buried deep in their financial statements. The fact that they only say 'A __ fund' makes me cringe. That means the money could be going to 'Joe Blow's I stubbed my toe in Iraq' fund. I think the best bet is to take the cash and give it to a real charity that you know is legit.

Indeed a good point but it was kind of a heat of the moment decision. Hopefully it goes where it should.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Indeed a good point but it was kind of a heat of the moment decision. Hopefully it goes where it should. </div></div>

I'm sure there are enough watchdogs watching that money closely to ensure it's handed out correctly.

I really do hope so. It wasnt until after i clicked the button and finished my taxes i thought, well i actually know people that have fought in wars and could use money (albeit an akward situation) that i could just give it to.