• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Turkey By Boat

G

We heard and saw a good number of turkeys last Fall while wood duck hunting in this particular creek, so it made sense to go back in the Spring and see if they were still in the area.

We had four gobbling from one roost.
The first bird came down pretty quickly and walked right up to my buddy, but it stayed behind a big tree and he couldn't get a clear shot.
When he tried to get a better angle, the bird saw him and went into a frantic series of putts and took off.

This got the other birds all fired up, but they more or less held where they were, about 100 yards away.
We worked them for another hour or so, but they simply wouldn't come any closer, tracking back and forth behind the ridge instead.

So we left them and boated back down the creek to check some more spots.
Didn't hear anything in the other spots, so we made our way back up the creek.
I motored past the first setup location by about 200 yards and tried a cackle from the boat.
Two toms fired off in unison immediately.

We slipped out of the boat and up the bank a few yards and setup.
This time, they came straight in.
My buddy had one on the ground within five minutes of leaving the boat!

We fished a few spots and caught a couple of small pickerel and a small bass, then headed in.

Hunting turkeys from a boat is a lot of fun. I highly recommend trying it, if you have the opportunity and means to do so.

tommy-4-18-09b.jpg

tommy-4-18-09c.jpg

Re: Turkey By Boat

Good patience and use of the imagination. Sounds like you all had a great day. A little turkey killin and fishin is good for the soul.

That's AWESOME! I think I'd rather outmanuver a bird as to have one come running to a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hatchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'd rather outmanuver a bird as to have run come running. </div></div>

?????????????
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hatchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's AWESOME! I think I'd rather outmanuver a bird as to have one come running to a call. </div></div>
Sorry...I can type faster than I can think!

Nice bird! I will try to post some pics of my second season bird I got last weekend!
3064_1144118408130_1382581942_30390336_5275578_n.jpg

acks280ack: Nice! what gun and load did you use? How far?

Called in? Spot and stalk? Road kill? We want details man!!

I used my Winchester Super X2 and the Rem Nitro steel 5 shot.
I set up Sunday morning with two hen decs and a stuttin jake decoy and 7am two toms came right in, I pulled the trigger at 15 yards!
A really productive Iowa Farm! I counted over 50 deer the evening before when I was roosting the birds in a 80 acre picked corn field. Already looking forward to fall bow hunting!!

Find any sheds out there? Must be nice living where the entire state is a giant food plot!!

Ya its not bad. I know you guys are hurtin for quality big game animals out there.
No big sheds just some small stuff.

s1382581942_30208573_9147.jpg

not a bad Iowa metro food plot buck.