• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Turkeys nesting?

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I was shocked to discover two birds on large clutches of eggs today.
Isn't it a bit late for them to be on the eggs?
Anyone else observed this?

I don't have high hopes for hatching due the rains we've been having.

If a hens nest gets broke up early,( by predators, storms or hay mowers, ) they will try to reset.......this leads to the strutting observed in early summer............I have not been lucky enough to find the late nest but I have witness the late breeding activities........Hope this helped.........

^ i 2nd that.

alot of times you'll see the poults in the fall, they'll also be a little undersized.

alot of times flooding, wet, and cold wether will lead to a 2nd nest and brood.

they can store sperm too in just such an event, then draw upon the reserve without having to do the bird nasty again.

I observed 18-20 eggs between the two nests and I'm sorry that I disturbed them.
Both hens literally let my tire get within inches of them.

And I have been told that it is important for the Hens first nest to make it. If She has to lay again the Poults will be late and undersized and risk dehydrating in the summer. And if too late being undersized puts them at a disadvantage when winter arrives. Here in Arkansas we have lots of nests that get broke up, and have not had good hatches the last serveral yrs.