• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Turn new brass

DropinLead

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Desert of Az.
While there are varying opinions I realize. I am looking to heae on this forum with those that shoot competitively since that experience will yield different answers than that of the desert or steel recreational shooter.

When you get new brass, Lapua, do you turn the necks when new before loading and firing for the first time or do you just resize neck and shoot once before engaging in turning of the neck?

Thanks.

I measured my Lapua brass and it is pretty dang consistent and given that it will fire form, it intuitively better to just size the neck for the first firing and then go through all those steps once it has been fire formed.

Yep same article here too. Got all those piece except the case trimmer lathe. One of the Many Great Articles from the Archives of Precision Shooting Magazine...

It also I am dead convinced that if using a drill instead of hand turning the cases, using cutting fluid or tapping fluid is better than a dab of wax, dip each neck into a cup of cutting fluid, don't shake it off, slap it on the mandrel dripping, protects metal, high viscosity, cools the bit, prevents dulling and galling. I am sure doing it that way.

Last edited:
Mandrel the new brass then take your cuts , I assume that your just truing up the wall thickness as if you had a tight neck chamber the factory brass would'nt fit before turning .Go slightly into the shoulder junction without going mad .
The more you take off the harder the brass will have to work when fired / sized .
IMHO , Use a full length type 's' bushing die !

Now I'm turning everything, Lapua and all the rest. But, I'm just cleaning up the necks to about 75-80 percent. The bad ones will clean up all the way around.