• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Turning a AR-15 into Bolt Action Only

fockell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
SC, Kansas
Does anyone have any expereince turning a AR15 into a Non Gasser bolt action. Over the years I have seen many highpower guys have charging handles tapped into the carrier, but i know the struggle has always been the rotating bolt lock up is a bitch to operate effeciently. Thanks for any advice. Brandon

Re: Turning a AR-15 into Bolt Action Only

Let me ask the obvious question: why?

You don't live in CA or the UK, so........why not just enjoy the rifle as it was meant to work?

If you want a bolt action that fits like an AR15, Google Gary Eliseo and buy one of his stocks to put your bolt gun in.

Few reasons.
1. I really like how modular an AR platform is I have lots of parts.
2. I will be shooting longer bullets that don't feed through mag, so gas system is nearly irrelevant outside of unlocking the bolt.
3. I just like trying new things.

These guys in the UK have to turn their ARs into straight pull bolt actions due to their laws. Give them a shout. I bet they can tell you exactly how to do it. http://www.highpowerrifle.co.uk/

I have seen several manually operated AR type rifles - all done for specialized purposes.

In it's most simplistic form, nothing more than turning off or eliminating the gas tube. If you will be using a regular AR stock, use the action spring to feed rounds and keep the bolt closed. If not, I would recommend using a detent to be sure the carrier is held forward while firing.

If you install a side charging handle and cut a slot in the receiver, you won't need to move your head when cycling rounds as you would when using the charging handle (a heavy walled receiver works best).

You can get a good idea of what the modifications look like at 6mmar dot com.

Be sure to look at placing the handle on the left or right side of the receiver depending on which hand you want to operate the bolt carrier with.

Reactions: shoobe01

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Few reasons.
2. I will be shooting longer bullets that don't feed through mag, so gas system is nearly irrelevant outside of unlocking the bolt.
3. I just like trying new things. </div></div>

If you are doing it just to say you are doing it then rock on.

Otherwise there are MUCH more cost effective ways to accomplish the same task.

I would suggest a Remington 700 or Savage 10 in a XLR Chassis. It will be faster, mag feel longer bullets and basically do everything your manual AR would do but better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Few reasons.
3. I just like trying new things. </div></div>

If you are doing it just to say you are doing it then rock on.

Otherwise there are MUCH more cost effective ways to accomplish the same task.

I would suggest a Remington 700 or Savage 10 in a XLR Chassis. It will be faster, mag feel longer bullets and basically do everything your manual AR would do but better. </div></div>
I agree, I have tradition bolt guns, just thought I would try this on. I have lot of the parts. That should help on the cost.

GasLight has a thread in the Gunsmithing section yesterday. Find it and PM him. You two probably have a lot to talk about. JMHO

Thats the very reason why Mr. Tubb developed the T2K. The modularity and ease of shooter fitment with the consistency of a bolt gun (especially trigger lock time).

You really have two options here.

1. Either remove the gas tube or replace the existing gas block with an adjustable one. If you turn off the gas, it'll reciprocate only when you want it to.

2. The easier option is to get a single shot sled like the Bob Sled. The Bob sled will allow you to chamber a longer than mag length cartridge and after firing, lock the BCG to the rear. Simply place another round in the upper receiver and release the bolt catch.

Option 2 makes it very easy and will essentially allow you to do what you're wanting to do without much conversion. I believe my Bob Sled cost me about $35 bucks.

Reactions: shoobe01

Personally, I never like to interfere with a man's endeavors regardless of how bereft of sanity or reason they might be founded in...

But I sure like to watch the show.

Keep us posted.

I'm going to give it a whirl. I am debating 6mm RAT vs standard .223. I ordered a lefty carrier today, will begin working on bolt handle this weekend.

There was a Shooting USA episode showing this very thing. The guys a camp Pentalton used a AR lower and a bolt action actions and welded them together. It was pretty cool and they seem to shoot the hell out of them.

Edit: I took some pics of the show I had on DVR

the tubb
004-3.jpg

Another guy who put a bolt handle on a standard AR
002-2.jpg

Some other guys combining of the two
001-4.jpg

sell the ar, buy a used tubbs gun, if you do not care for it move it along, the whole operation costs a few 100, if you do all these mods and the ar ends up jacked up it is mostly worthless

I see alot of money being wasted, but if thats what you want, go for it. People have done things much more retarded (not saying you are retarded).

I personally feel if you already have bolt guns, why not keep the semi a semi? Unless you have too many AR platforms, in which that case I'll take one or two of them off your hands.

I don't know. I like the concept, but in terms of modularity, there are less painful ways to do it. There are at least a couple of chassis platforms available for Savage rifles that offer modularity that rivals that of the AR platform and a Savage is about as modular as a bolt action can get.

If I were to tackle this, I'd put the ARs aside, get a chassis for a Savage and build something using a Stevens action. The neat thing about going this route is that no specialized tools would be involved when you want to convert calibers or just barrel lengths. I'd also go out on a limb and say that, dollar for dollar, you'll get a more accurate rifle by going with a Savage action.

I installed the Paladin Machine adjustable gas block.

Setting gas in closed turns my rifle into a bolt action. It is nice when shooting suppressed because the brass comes out clean and the rifle becomes super quiet and more accurate.

At the low gas mode, my rifle can shoot suppressed in semi auto. That is a bit louder.

At the full gas, it becomes a normal AR. Having the ability to shoot the AR in "bolt" mode suppressed is actually a rather pleasing feature because I no long need to listen to the reciprocation of the BCG....and you get a bolt gun with a 30-40 round magazine...

Does anyone have any expereince turning a AR15 into a Non Gasser bolt action. Over the years I have seen many highpower guys have charging handles tapped into the carrier, but i know the struggle has always been the rotating bolt lock up is a bitch to operate effeciently. Thanks for any advice. Brandon
I know this is an old thread, but there is a device called the Kali Key --

Here is the best option.

True two lug bolt, I have one in 6mm ARC. Shoots .5 MOA or better and you can use true bolt action loads in it.

https://uintahprecision.com/why-a-bolt-action/

https://uintahprecision.com/product/up-15-complete-rifle/

Here is a closeup picture of mine

View attachment 7896076
They are somewhat local to me (within 2hrs) but the price for just an upper has kept me at bay.

Would love a 16” in 6.8 spc for my oldest to hunt with (cow elk) but at the price they want, the tikka works just fine or I could pick up a sig cross for about the same price.

Drop the prices to ~ $700-800 and you would see many more out there.

My buddy has a POF manual / straight pull rifle and while it shoots really well, it’s a bit clunky to operate from the prone.

I know this is an OLD thread.
I have a couple straight pull No-Gas ARs in 22 Nosler I use @ 600.
With all the bad press on Nosler brass I figured No-gas would eliminate the trashed brass.
It did but with another issue. STICKAGE.
Shooting 60+ rounds and I have to swab the chamber after 40 or so, every 5.
Seems some carbon/residue is the cause. Manageable but annoying.
I use a right side upper from BCA and a modified lower for right side bolt release.
This year I put together one for the wife but this time with gas. Cut down the ejector spring, and adjusted gas so it locks back and ejects about a foot @ 2 o'clock. Using 6mm HAGAR brass reformed to 22 Nosler (22 NOSGAR) it seems to do OK. She's at about 1MOA @ 100yds.
Keeping the load to just under 3000fps with 88ELD and SB6.5

This winter I'll probably assemble another with gas to replace a long in the tooth one I have been shooting.
I have about 1700 Hagar cases left, about 300 Nosler/Dogtown.
Note that the No-gas is basically just an upper that I can swap with 5.56 and X39 using the same lower.
Into-F-Class-Cheap-1a.jpg
No-Eject.jpg

They are somewhat local to me (within 2hrs) but the price for just an upper has kept me at bay.

Would love a 16” in 6.8 spc for my oldest to hunt with (cow elk) but at the price they want, the tikka works just fine or I could pick up a sig cross for about the same price.

Drop the prices to ~ $700-800 and you would see many more out there.

My buddy has a POF manual / straight pull rifle and while it shoots really well, it’s a bit clunky to operate from the prone.
Yes a little pricey... but you get what you pay for from them. Preferred Barrel Blanks is their barrel maker, they are a subsidiary of Match Grade Machine. They are one of the top tier barrel makers, the match grade barrel alone would cost you 5 to 6 hundred. Then add a specialty billet upper, and muzzle brake to the package. Don't forget the bolt. It then is a pretty sweet deal with a lifetime warrenty and sub MOA guarantee. Their rifles are on par with the likes of KAC, LMT Geiselle and spot on customer service with pretty fast turn around. All these things speak numbers.

Reactions: Frankr
Buy one of these, and call it a day...

Last edited:
My brother picked up a Uintah Precision AR15 upper in 5.56 this past spring. It was a little pricey but it's a neat conversion if you live in one of those states that doesn't like you walking around the woods with an AR. He now can switch out uppers between semi auto and bolt action depending on the circumstances.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Yes a little pricey... but you get what you pay for from them. Preferred Barrel Blanks is their barrel maker, they are a subsidiary of Match Grade Machine. They are one of the top tier barrel makers, the match grade barrel alone would cost you 5 to 6 hundred. Then add a specialty billet upper, and muzzle brake to the package. Don't forget the bolt. It then is a pretty sweet deal with a lifetime warrenty and sub MOA guarantee. Their rifles are on par with the likes of KAC, LMT Geiselle and spot on customer service with pretty fast turn around. All these things speak numbers.
Makes sense but still a hard sell compared to others (Sig Cross or a semi-auto ar15) .

I want one. Just will need to save my pennies.

Their SBR/pistol 300blk is pretty cool as well.