• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Turning down 45-70 Govt brass to .473 bolt face

TXBRASS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Shiner, TEXAS
Daydreaming of a Rem 700 in 45-70 Govt.

Thinking of turning down the 45-70 brass to .473 bolt face specs. Initial measurements and splitting a 45-70 brass long-ways seems to look like there is enough brass available to do this safely. Has this or is this being done by anyone and what were the results. Any info or feedback would be appreciated. Viable option to try or no? Thanks....

Converting .45-70 brass to rimless configuration. Basically a .473 case-head with all other parts of cartridge being standard 45-70.

I think it'd be easier going to 450 Bushmaster. Basically a 308 necked up and shortened to have very minimal case taper and a slightly fatter base.

2jfez6h.jpg

Of course if you're willing to go to the lengths of turning off 45-70 rims then you might as well spec a reamer for exactly what you want and don't half ass it.

I did something similar with my SA rem clone with a mag bolt face: 7WSM for long range, 7WSSM for medium range, and 510WSM for up close and personal. Same gun, 3 different barrels, all the same mags.

450 Marlin uses a magnum boltface and runs in a WSM action with no problems.

450 Bushmaster uses .451 pistol bullets not .458

Look at a 284 Winchester case.

How will you headspace it?

Last edited:
Headspace on the case mouth, or shoot at low(er) pressure and neck size and it will headspace on the fire-formed body taper, or use a lot of neck tension and seat the bullets long and engrave them in the lands.

450 Marlin is belted and head spaced off that, plus ballistically identical to the 45-70.