• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Turning down a barrel...go or no go?

jrgfox

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
Pipe Creek, TX
Just bought a 7.62ss Surefire Suppressor from a local dealer...I purchased the can for the purpose of mounting on a LWRC REPR which it will do with no problems. Im trying to figure out if there are any downsides/negative aspects of having a AI barrel turned down to have the can used on both rifles or if I should just buy another suppressor for the AI. Seeing pictures of this being done seems to me like they have to reduce the barrel profile by a significant amount on a much larger diameter AI barrel. Wondering if this degrades barrel integrity or accuracy at all?

Re: Turning down a barrel...go or no go?

You will be fine. The major diameter for the AI barrel is probably somewhere between 0.82"-0.93". The amount they turn down and thread depends on your suppressor or suppressor adapter. This process shouldn't have any negative effect on accuracy or barrel integrity.

Re: Turning down a barrel...go or no go?

It shouldn't have any negative effect, and the upside is that you have weight loss that offsets weight gain, so the 4.5 ounce mount might add 2 ounces to the system weight.

Another plus aside from gaining a muzzle brake or flash suppressor, is that the mounts are very nice looking mounts.