Turns out Corona Virus threat is all horsecrap.

phlegethon

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
If you’d gone to school and learned math, this conversation would be a lot easier. So those numbers you triumphantly posted, let’s take the middle of their range for flu deaths. 40,000 from October through March. Six months. That’s 222 deaths per day.

We had 292 so far today from COVID-19. And it’s growing exponentially.

wade2big

Knowing just enough to be dangerous
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
If you’d gone to school and learned math, this conversation would be a lot easier. So those numbers you triumphantly posted, let’s take the middle of their range for flu deaths. 40,000 from October through March. Six months. That’s 222 deaths per day.

We had 292 so far today from COVID-19. And it’s growing exponentially.
I misread your post. You said today and not total. I retracted it.

Reactions: Dthomas3523

nikonNUT

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2019
Arkansas
To say it’s just like the flu at this point is completely disingenuous.
Not a doctor, a dentist, or health care worker in any way and I will say this is bad. Real bad but to reference your "To say it’s just like the flu at this point is completely disingenuous." is sorta incorrect. While I think is it dismissive to equate the two today historically something was the CoVid-19 of the day. Smallpox, measles and bubonic plague were novel in North and South American aka The Colombian Exchange and wiped out 90% of the indigenous population. The Russian Flu was novel and killed 360000. Typhoid was novel for the Athenians and took 2/3 of the population. The Spanish Flu was novel and and killed 50 million (World population was 1.8 billion just shy of 3% of the world population died. Based on an estimated 500 million who contracted it the mortailty rate was 10%!) and "...By October, hundreds of thousands of Americans died and body storage scarcity hit crisis level ". Point is, it's not like the flu NOW but anything "new" is going to run roughshod over the population for a while . What would have killed my great grandparents will make me feel crappy. What might kill me probably wont bother my off spring in 2 generations. They'll have their own cooties to deal with.

E. Bryant

Gearhead
Belligerents
Oct 25, 2010
MI
Someone said that we were going to have 600 deaths yesterday - turns out that we had only 525. What a blatant mischaracterization of the data.

Absent a miracle, we'll be at 1000/day sometime early next week and maybe 2000/day by the end of the week, and then we'll have to come up with a new way to discount the threat. The good new is that at that rate, the disease will eventually start burning itself out.

Reactions: ken226

Rocketmandb

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2018
Someone said that we were going to have 600 deaths yesterday - turns out that we had only 525. What a blatant mischaracterization of the data.

Absent a miracle, we'll be at 1000/day sometime early next week and maybe 2000/day by the end of the week, and then we'll have to come up with a new way to discount the threat. The good new is that at that rate, the disease will eventually start burning itself out.
But it will all be better by Easter...

• Haha
Reactions: Centuriator

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
In each area there will be a ramp up to a peak then it will level off and start to drop.

As always as the ramp to peak increases the people and government will freak out about wanting to be more draconian, but in all reality 2 weeks prior was when it actually kicked in.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Not a doctor, a dentist, or health care worker in any way and I will say this is bad. Real bad but to reference your "To say it’s just like the flu at this point is completely disingenuous." is sorta incorrect. While I think is it dismissive to equate the two today historically something was the CoVid-19 of the day. Smallpox, measles and bubonic plague were novel in North and South American aka The Colombian Exchange and wiped out 90% of the indigenous population. The Russian Flu was novel and killed 360000. Typhoid was novel for the Athenians and took 2/3 of the population. The Spanish Flu was novel and and killed 50 million (World population was 1.8 billion just shy of 3% of the world population died. Based on an estimated 500 million who contracted it the mortailty rate was 10%!) and "...By October, hundreds of thousands of Americans died and body storage scarcity hit crisis level ". Point is, it's not like the flu NOW but anything "new" is going to run roughshod over the population for a while . What would have killed my great grandparents will make me feel crappy. What might kill me probably wont bother my off spring in 2 generations. They'll have their own cooties to deal with.
I can see your point, mine was in regards to people brushing this off as nothing, not so much a direct comparison to the flu. Which IMO is disingenuous, it's like the owner of the pharmacy my mother works at not taking any measures to limit their exposure because he doesn't think this is a big deal. That is wholly ignorant. A friend of mine in NP school in NY is currently dealing with the worst of it. Hallways lined with patients 18 and 20 year olds dying in ICU units because they're out of respirators etc.

Reactions: nikonNUT

wade2big

Knowing just enough to be dangerous
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
I can see your point, mine was in regards to people brushing this off as nothing, not so much a direct comparison to the flu. Which IMO is disingenuous, it's like the owner of the pharmacy my mother works at not taking any measures to limit their exposure because he doesn't think this is a big deal. That is wholly ignorant. A friend of mine in NP school in NY is currently dealing with the worst of it. Hallways lined with patients 18 and 20 year olds dying in ICU units because they're out of respirators etc.
There are plenty of respirators in New York for the time being at least. Coumo had to admit that on Friday. They are in warehouses. It’s a shame for people to be dying when thousands upon thousands are in storage.

Rocketmandb

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2018
And this just hit close to home. My mother just called and told me a cousin died in NYC from the virus. Older, but not "old" and otherwise in good health.

Rocketmandb

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2018
There are plenty of respirators in New York for the time being at least. Coumo had to admit that on Friday. They are in warehouses. It’s a shame for people to be dying when thousands upon thousands are in storage.
You still need bed space and people to operate them.

theLBC

Shiftless
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2019
Would you please tell me how this proves that my cousin's death from the virus was not real?

GFY
how do you come to that conclusion?
i think they are not taking the social distancing rules seriously, and maybe they are trying to scare people?
i really can't explain it, and made no attempt to, did i?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
And this just hit close to home. My mother just called and told me a cousin died in NYC from the virus. Older, but not "old" and otherwise in good health.
Sorry for your loss. Sending prayers.

My GF and i truly believe there are different strains. A local was tested positive for it here in the delta. That person is fine. Then you have cases where people that are absolutely healthy are having to be hospitalized heavily. Last i checked for Mississippi's CDC we're at a 35% hospitalization rate. That is downright alarming.

My cousin is his radiology residency in Texas and was telling me he's never seen anything like it. Granted he's my age but considering that he looks at CTs all day and is startled that all the cases are presenting with numerous ground glass opacities for multiple COVID19 patients is worrisome.

He told us that their situation wasn't being covered by the news. That they're working around the clock yet still being tested for their degrees (NP) which is honestly kind of messed up if you ask me. He described it as a warzone that as soon as a patient dies in ICU they have another case waiting. He's probably absolutely worn out. I've never experienced anything like that. I've worked 29 hours straight before but it wasn't all high stress like that.

Reactions: Zorrosdens

Rocketmandb

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2018
Sorry for your loss. Sending prayers.
Thank you.

My GF and i truly believe there are different strains. A local was tested positive for it here in the delta. That person is fine. Then you have cases where people that are absolutely healthy are having to be hospitalized heavily. Last i checked for Mississippi's CDC we're at a 35% hospitalization rate. That is downright alarming.

My cousin is his radiology residency in Texas and was telling me he's never seen anything like it. Granted he's my age but considering that he looks at CTs all day and is startled that all the cases are presenting with numerous ground glass opacities for multiple COVID19 patients is worrisome.
I talked about it earlier - my sister is an ER doc in a "lower" affected area, and already they are at capacity.

I'm not AS worried about places that are:

1) Taking it seriously with shelter-at-home orders, etc.

AND

2) Do not have highly concentrated populations

The problem is that there are a number of states with governors WHO ARE NOT TAKING IT SERIOUSLY. I don't know about Mississippi, but Florida is one prime example. I used to live there and have a lot of friends and in-laws there. That state is experiencing a very high growth rate of the virus because the governor refuses to take meaningful steps. I live in the Bay Area in CA, one of the earlier hot spots, and one of the first to issue restrictions. The infection curve is flattening because of this. And remember how much heat CA got for taking these steps? Same thing goes for Washington/Seattle - things are slowly moving in the right direction there.

There has been no cohesive federal leadership, and states and cities are left to their own devices. Some are taking concrete steps, others are not. Those that are not will be the ones where the healthcare systems get overwhelmed, and more people die.

nikonNUT

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2019
Arkansas
And I appreciate your point. CoVid-19 isn't to be trifled with. I promise that while I have never gloved up for the flu season I damn sure am now. Thank you for the reasoned response and stay safe!

Reactions: 5RWill

Rocketmandb

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2018
And I appreciate your point. CoVid-19 isn't to be trifled with.
... looks at title of this thread... I wish everyone had the same attitude. If just one person reading the later posts in this thread begins taking appropriate precautions when they otherwise wouldn't have, then it will have served a purpose.

I promise that while I have never gloved up for the flu season I damn sure am now. Thank you for the reasoned response and stay safe!
Be careful about gloves. People tend to put them on and think they're safe. They get a false sense of security. The main thing gloves accomplish is drawing extra attention to when you touch your face, but people also tend to not wash gloves while on, which means that if they touch something that has a virus on it, it stays there for a while, so when they do touch their face, there's an opportunity for transmission.

What I do:

- If I touch ANYTHING that I am not sure is clean, I wash my hands (or use hand sanitizer or a disinfecting wipe if not near a sink).
- If I touch something else I use a lot (read: car keys, door handle, steering wheel) before I wash, then that gets wiped down too.
- Anything entering our house gets wiped down with a disinfecting wipe (food boxes, grocery bags, etc.)
- "Interface items" like exterior door handles, railings, etc., get regularly wiped down.
- I try to avoid areas that are concentration points - grocery stores, unfortunately, are one of them, so I take extra precautions when there.
- Fortunately, delivery drivers do not represent a concentration point, so I order as much as possible rather than get it at the store.

Reactions: phlegethon

nikonNUT

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2019
Arkansas
... looks at title of this thread... I wish everyone had the same attitude. If just one person reading the later posts in this thread begins taking appropriate precautions when they otherwise wouldn't have, then it will have served a purpose.

Be careful about gloves. People tend to put them on and think they're safe. They get a false sense of security. The main thing gloves accomplish is drawing extra attention to when you touch your face, but people also tend to not wash gloves while on, which means that if they touch something that has a virus on it, it stays there for a while, so when they do touch their face, there's an opportunity for transmission.

What I do:

- If I touch ANYTHING that I am not sure is clean, I wash my hands (or use hand sanitizer or a disinfecting wipe if not near a sink).
- If I touch something else I use a lot (read: car keys, door handle, steering wheel) before I wash, then that gets wiped down too.
- Anything entering our house gets wiped down with a disinfecting wipe (food boxes, grocery bags, etc.)
- "Interface items" like exterior door handles, railings, etc., get regularly wiped down.
- I try to avoid areas that are concentration points - grocery stores, unfortunately, are one of them, so I take extra precautions when there.
- Fortunately, delivery drivers do not represent a concentration point, so I order as much as possible rather than get it at the store.
I read you loud and clear! I am the safety guy where I work. We have implemented the following...
NO ONE clocks in or out. No gathering at the time clock...
When I arrive I am the only one allowed thru the front door. I open the shops roll up doors and that is the entry/egress point for all other employees.
Everyone has a radio. Need something let us know. We will get it to you with as little interaction as possible. Not perfect but...
Customers are instructed to stay in their vehicles. We will come to you, find out what you need, handle loading, payment etc. Again, not perfect...
Everyone wears gloves... All the time! If I handle parts, money, or have to type up an estimate I purell my gloves when I am done. Get a breach? Wash hands, purell, and reglove. Said breeches are mitigated by wearing Mechanix Wear leather gloves over rubber gloves like the police do. Rubber glove to prevent transmission, leather glove to prevent rubber gloves getting torn, punctured, etc. Need to do this regardless. Some of that shit is sharp!
Phones... Now that's a pain. Currently, I have a phone, the other couterman has a phone, and all others can use their respective phones. I purell that regularly too with a shot of lysol before I go home! DO NOT USE MY PHONE!
Lysol hard surfaces, door knobs, etc. when it is slow. It's been really slow lately. Bleach water is also employed at the end of the day.
I keep a box of gloves in the car and the gloves stay on all the way home where I remove them and wash up. Need to get gas, etc. I swap those suckers out as soon as I am done.
The more I do all this the less of a hassle it is.

Reactions: Rocketmandb

Strykervet

Resident Phoenix Eye and Dim Mak Instructor
Belligerents
Jun 5, 2011
Pierce County, WA
I've been looking at global resolved cases and they've gotten worse everytime I look at it. I'm only interested in the people that have actually had it, and whether or not they survived. It's the only way to get a solid picture regarding how lethal it is and by the law of large numbers, it will only get more accurate. In one month it's gone from around 5% to as of now 18%.

Mostly kills old people and those with compromised breathing (had pneumonia before? easier to get a second time...). 82% will live, 18% won't. You have a better chance pulling through in US vs. a backwater in Bhutan but still, you get the idea.

If it's not affecting more people it's because people are actually trying to stop its spread by staying home. What people should do when they get sick normally. Apparently this is a very virulent bug and super easy to spread.

So if it were to spread to everyone, it could theoretically kill 18% of global population based on current numbers.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Seems to have current data and data about resolved cases.

phlegethon

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
I've been looking at global resolved cases and they've gotten worse everytime I look at it. I'm only interested in the people that have actually had it, and whether or not they survived. It's the only way to get a solid picture regarding how lethal it is and by the law of large numbers, it will only get more accurate. In one month it's gone from around 5% to as of now 18%.

Mostly kills old people and those with compromised breathing (had pneumonia before? easier to get a second time...). 82% will live, 18% won't. You have a better chance pulling through in US vs. a backwater in Bhutan but still, you get the idea.

If it's not affecting more people it's because people are actually trying to stop its spread by staying home. What people should do when they get sick normally. Apparently this is a very virulent bug and super easy to spread.

So if it were to spread to everyone, it could theoretically kill 18% of global population based on current numbers.

So if you only look at closed cases you really overestimate the mortality, because many people take longer to be closed than to die. It is definitely something that people need to take seriously, but the mortality is not 18% overall. It may, however, be as high as 5-10% in areas where the healthcare system is overrun, which would be many if we didn't take the isolation measures we have.

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 2, 2012
I just read that singer Joe Diffie died of the Corona Virus.
RIP Joe. There’s a very macabre joke to make here that I’m sure Joe would appreciate but I can’t bring myself to make it. I remember many years ago he had bad heart problems even back then, so I would think he was in a high risk group. He was a good one.

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Hessian
Banned !
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
Trump announces another 30 days of mitigation. I'm glad he is really listening carefully to his team of experts who are doing whatever they can do to make sure the "worst-case" models do not come to pass: 2.2 million deaths. Now media is grilling Trump for his Easter "aspiration" ... he said "We had an aspiration for Easter, but when you hear the potential for deaths, you realize you do not want the spike to rise that high."

And some very promising reports about therapeutic treatments underway, and super rapid test kits that can give results in five minutes, etc.

Humana and Cigna are waving all co-pays and costs for Corona treatments, waving a huge amount of money. Other health insurance companies are also coming on board with waving co-payments.

"Even the media is being more fair....we all want this to end. This about death."

The checks from the legislation will be arriving in three weeks. Trump is calling landlords to "take it easy" on evictions, etc.

Centuriator

Hessian
Banned !
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
"Why did you publically threaten qurantine on New York and New Jersey." .... He said, "I said we are going to look at it, then we looked at. I did not threaten it. Professionals loved the idea of quarantine, that's the ultimate in distancing. They don't want New Yorkers going all over. The possibility was thrown out and Trump said it was too much to do. Very hard to enforce."

Reporter: "Did you frighten people?" No hopefully we undescored why people should stay home."

Reporter playing "Gotcha" with Trump.

Trump:

"Why don't you act more positive? This is why you worked for the TIMES, now you work for someone else. Be nice. Don't be threatening."

candyx

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
By the time this is over your 401K will have a new meaning , do you have 4 0r 1 dollar left for retirement ?

Centuriator

Hessian
Banned !
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
"We think the peak will hit in two weeks...how bad is it going to be."

Fauci and Birx now speaking.

Birx..."We have great concerns. The models are demonstrating a rapid escalation and we are starting to lose people at the rate projected. We hav;e had meetings and calls with clinicians. We have a different population than Italy and Spain, because of that we are getting hard data very carefully. We are seeing things here that have not been reported from other countries. Our medical professionals are reporting on what is happening. In the models, we are looking at 200,000 dying with mitigation. We must keep doing what we are doing but even better. We are tracking this very carefully. The American public must realize how important it is for our population to keep doing what they are doing. The young people must mitigate. We must do better."

Dr. Fauci: "Models are good but models often generate the kind of anxious questions. Models are only as good as the data entered. They are often based on worst case extreme, and best extreme. If you go to "just let it go" you get worst results, the other extreme is leading us to mitigate, not to push models aside. The reason the President decided to go to end of April, we do not want to say, 'We are doing so great.'

Centuriator

Hessian
Banned !
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
Testing success, briefing by Surgeon General

In the USA we have done 894,000 tests: hospitals, public labs, large reference labs....just yesterday...840.000 tests produced. Now we have a "point of care test" ... swab to results: five minutes. At most 15 for a negative result. There are 18,000 of the machine needed for these tests. Avid will be producing 50,000 tests per day. More complex tests are being done.

The goal is: everyone who needs a test, gets a test. Priority: those in hospital or in ICU, symptomatic first responders, those in nursing homes.

Every had one of the traditional swabs up the sinus packages? Nasty.

New testing eliminates need for PPE gear after every test.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
According to Fauci, the middle ground models are predicting about 100-200k US deaths.

That’s neither the worst or best case scenario.

Hopefully that’s way off.

Reactions: wade2big

phlegethon

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
According to Fauci, the middle ground models are predicting about 100-200k US deaths.

That’s neither the worst or best case scenario.

Hopefully that’s way off.
That’s definitely a best case scenario. We’d have to hold to 10 million cases and have no Wuhan-style disasters, which NYC is already heading for.

candyx

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
Our current average of death is one person every 12 seconds about 2.9 million people per year.

E. Bryant

Gearhead
Belligerents
Oct 25, 2010
MI
The point is that sometime in the next few weeks, this will become the #1 cause of death in the country. If social distancing works, that phase hopefully only lasts for a few weeks.

lonegunman762x51

Msgt
Belligerents
Apr 8, 2011
Eastern Washington
I'm curious what your point is in this.
The point is that people die every day and you do not give a shit. Every day 10 young black men are murdered by young black men and you do not give a shit. Every day a dozen or more overdose on cheap drugs that pour thru the open border you demand from Trump......................you do not care in the least.

Elderly people or people with health conditions die from various infections, flu or some other random illness not foreseen by their doctors and you do not care. When Obongo was president, he killed thousands with his utterly inept reactions to SARS and any other virus outbreak that occured and you did not care in the least.

And suddenly this is a crisis that requires everyone except an infected bag of shit from New York, New Jersey or Connecticut to stay home. Those disease ridden leftist shitbirds are currently fleeing to every neighboring state and bum-rushing the Florida border with their diseased asses. Why is it, that the retards from the left refuse to self-quarantine and insist on traveling all over hell and creation?

Every Dimmercrat here was smoking the Chinese national cock about how great their Corona virus bullshit was, suddenly you might realize it was all bullshit smoke and mirrors. The Chinese are selling Corona virus test kits to European countries, that are 80% wrong or downright useless, now you know how their numbers stayed low.

Yes this is bad but it is not world ending. And it proves we have the best medical system on earth...........................far better than any socialist medical system in terms of care and survival rates.

Rocketmandb

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2018
The point is that people die every day and you do not give a shit. Every day 10 young black men are murdered by young black men and you do not give a shit. Every day a dozen or more overdose on cheap drugs that pour thru the open border you demand from Trump......................you do not care in the least.
So, first off. You don't know me, so you don't have a flying fuck about what I care about and what I don't.

Elderly people or people with health conditions die from various infections, flu or some other random illness not foreseen by their doctors and you do not care. When Obongo was president, he killed thousands with his utterly inept reactions to SARS and any other virus outbreak that occured and you did not care in the least.
Secondly, you don't know me, so you don't have a flying fuck about what I care about and what I don't.

And suddenly this is a crisis that requires everyone except an infected bag of shit from New York, New Jersey or Connecticut to stay home. Those disease ridden leftist shitbirds are currently fleeing to every neighboring state and bum-rushing the Florida border with their diseased asses. Why is it, that the retards from the left refuse to self-quarantine and insist on traveling all over hell and creation?
The ignorance in this statement is staggering. Says a lot about you.

Every Dimmercrat here was smoking the Chinese national cock about how great their Corona virus bullshit was, suddenly you might realize it was all bullshit smoke and mirrors. The Chinese are selling Corona virus test kits to European countries, that are 80% wrong or downright useless, now you know how their numbers stayed low.
Proof please?

Yes this is bad but it is not world ending. And it proves we have the best medical system on earth...........................far better than any socialist medical system in terms of care and survival rates.
Not that I buy into socialized medicine, but proof please?

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas

You have a real difficulty in assessing the potential threat of anything you mentioned.

Now that the numbers show this isn’t remotely benign as influenza has become, you will move onto other straw man examples to illustrate your radical ideas.

There’s extremists on the left and the right.

DuneBoer

Sersant
Belligerents
Jan 16, 2012
State of Jefferson
We have zero control over any of this fake, real or the situation. NONE. Best take care of what you do have control over to ride it out. I'm sure everyone here has what they need in the weapons department. I hope you all have enough food and basic medicines so you and yours can ride it out.

E. Bryant

Gearhead
Belligerents
Oct 25, 2010
MI
The "it's not that bad" rants are becoming less relevant each day, and the edgelords pushing that hot take just sound sillier.

Screenshot_20200329-213326.pngScreenshot_20200329-213302.png

If this thing stopped getting worse today, it'd be the third-largest cause of daily deaths (behind heart disease and cancer; ahead of accidents of all types). The data above shows that it's not going to stop getting worse today; straight lines on logarithmic plots are either very good (if it reflects the dollars in my bank account or blowjobs I'm about to receive from Instagram models) or very bad (deaths, for instance).

Until that log plot starts to roll over, the situation is rapidly getting worse. And it ain't looking close to rolling over yet, probably because deaths today reflect infections 10 days ago, and this thing is growing 10x every 10 days. That means that 10 days from now could really gonna suck in a way that most people cannot comprehend, but maybe should start to try.

footsteps

Private Greene
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Catskill Mountains NY

The fake news, mostly bullshit leftist media is being forced by the science they soooooo love to admit that this entire scam is horseshit. More bullshit to whip their idiot base into a frenzy and fuck over the countries economy to get Joe Biden and Michelle Obama elected in 2020. The death rate is about the same as flu.....................................................................leftist lies yet again.
I'm thinking the family's of those around the world who have died would beg to differ....April 21 let's revisit this theory.

Reactions: Rocketmandb

thejeep

Covid-19. No I don’t want to hear your story.
Belligerents
Aug 30, 2008
tn

One thing is the world meters data for age and comorbidity appears to be from feb., but your are correct getting into the high teens for mortality.

lonegunman762x51

Msgt
Belligerents
Apr 8, 2011
Eastern Washington
I'm thinking the family's of those around the world who have died would beg to differ....April 21 let's revisit this theory.
During the 2017-2018 season, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was at or above the epidemic threshold for 16 consecutive weeks. During the past five seasons, the average number of weeks this indicator was above threshold was 11 (range of 7 to 15 weeks). Nationally, mortality attributed to P&I exceeded 10.0% for four consecutive weeks, peaking at 10.8% during the week ending January 20, 2018.

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1). The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness6.

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*†
  • Total cases: 122,653
  • Total deaths: 2,112
  • Jurisdictions reporting cases: 55 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Marianas, and US Virgin Islands)
* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.
† Numbers updated Saturday and Sunday are not confirmed by state and territorial health departments. These numbers will be modified when numbers are updated on Monday.

61,000 people died of flu in 2017-18
34,000 people died of flu in 2018-19
up to 81,000 projected flu deaths for 2019-20

This year up in America up to 54,000,000 people will get the flu and 700,000 will be hospitalized, , thankfully so far the Corona virus has not been as deadly as the flu. Meanwhile the corona virus has only killed about 2,500 people so far.

1585539269510.png

What do you know, the flu season ends eventually, I bet the corona virus will do the same.

Keep buying toilet paper..........................that should make it better.

armorpl8chikn

General Pain in the Ass
Belligerents
Aug 17, 2010
Western NC
61,000 people died of flu in 2017-18
34,000 people died of flu in 2018-19
up to 81,000 projected flu deaths for 2019-20
Dont those numbers look a bit strange to anyone?
How many of those 81,000 were from Covid?
In a year when China lied about "exactly when" Covid got loose. There was an elevated number of "flu" deaths.

Some have already told you that "we" think we had it in January. I dont know what it was, but I know i thought i was going to see Lizbeth.
I hope Covid is what i had, cause if didnt, and actually get Covid, I'm likely a goner.

ETA: Whatever I had? It was highly contagious....highly. everyone in my house got it. Numerous friends and acquaintances got it, several ended up in the hospital.