Turns out Corona Virus threat is all horsecrap.

magtech

Ole one eye
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
I have a cough and cold like symptoms. Occasionally I cough up phglem... I go about my day as normal, because A: It's america, not China, and B: when did this country value self-defense less that weakling-defense. Literally, nobody cares.

My grandpa lives next door. He is 86. Smokes his whole life. I asked him a week about what he thinks about this. He said he doesnt give a rats ass and he'll continue to go out like always.... If the at-risk dont care. I sure as shit wont... people die everyday... Not my problem if another one dies.

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Belligerents
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
I have a cough and cold like symptoms. Occasionally I cough up phglem... I go about my day as normal, because A: It's america, not China, and B: when did this country value self-defense less that weakling-defense. Literally, nobody cares.

My grandpa lives next door. He is 86. Smokes his whole life. I asked him a week about what he thinks about this. He said he doesnt give a rats ass and he'll continue to go out like always.... If the at-risk dont care. I sure as shit wont... people die everyday... Not my problem if another one dies.
And not your problem if you're carrying it and pass it on, right?

magtech

Ole one eye
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
And not your problem if you're carrying it and pass it on, right?
Maybe I didnt say it right. NOT MY PROBLEM. Motherfuckers get sick everyday. You cant guarantee i gave anyone shit. The problem we have here is we think we have CONTROL over every/anything that happens. when reality is we don't. I spent my time in a war-zone. I've watched people/children die over dumber shit. This "Disease", or whatever bullshit you want to call it, literally means nothing to me. I have kids... The last time i looked at the world statistics on the disease; the rate at which it affected children didnt even quantify a fucking number.

rtB

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2019
Payson, AZ
Lemme tell a little story...

My dad died of lung cancer. Never smoked a day in his life. When he was young, he had mild asthma. The doctors at that time prescribed him something, can't remember what it was, but it apparently caused his cancer.

So when diagnosed with lung cancer, he went on radiation and chemo. Fucker was a trooper, never complained, got 4 more years of suffering shit ass life.

He had great insurance, but was still milked 10k per year for his prescriptions. Total bill for those 4 years was 1.25 million. Yes, 1.25 million. Insurance covered it. I looked at all the insurance bills.

You (and I) paid for it.

So yeah people die. But who fucking profits. And yes, I'm still a little ticked about it.

So 200k people die, they're all dead anyway. If it's my time, fucking drag me out in a field with my sbr and a pile of ammo. I'll kill as many yotes as I can, fucking yotes...

Reactions: TACC

Raffy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2020
Southern Utah
I have worked in a medium sized hospital around 350 to 450 beds in a popular retirement community for the past ten years that is currently affected by, but not yet over run with covid 19 patients. The regular flu season is very stressful on a hospital and they handle it well because of an ability to supply a typically predicted amount of extra resources (employees, beds, medications, equipment, supplies, etc...) and this is no regular flu season. Here is my perspective for those who don't understand why this is a big deal. This is a highly contagious virus, much more so than a typical flu, with an enourmous potential to ravage any communities hospital and resources. Think of it like this- from the perspective of a community that was on one of those cruise ships where nearly everyone got it and magnify that to show what new york is like now. Keeping in mind that these massive amounts of influx of suspected or positive cases are causing massive strain on the health systems in place there for various reasons. Tidal waves of people are needing healthy healthcare workers who are more likely to be getting sick because they either aren't properly protected, dont think they will get it, or are plain unlucky. If too many people need to use the same resources at once the system breaks down. If anyone doesn't think its a big deal for hospitals to run out of supplies, medications, equipment, or PPE's just imagine what happens when that shortage causes a shortage of healthy able bodied healthcare workers in a hospital for the amount of patients in need of care. If you think its hard to find toilet paper just imagine what a challenge it would be to find skilled workers to run a hospital when the entire nation/world is out of toilet paper and workers already. When the news reports that a large hospital in new york just rented a bunch of refridgerated trucks to stash the over abundance of dead bodies in, people ought to stop and listen. Every person who is infected might react differently to this for the same reason that after getting the flu shot, the person who gets the flu is less likely to be ravaged as badly as the next guy he subsequently infected who in turn had failed to get the shot earlier. In other words, partial immunity from a previous similar, but different exposure. That is only one po
ssible reason it can be a silent killer. Don't discount this coronavirus strain because person a or person b got it and it wasn't that bad. This is hospitalizing and/or killing a relatively large percentage of young and healthy people too compared to the seasonal flu. That doesn't happen hardly ever. This thing is potent and lethal for both the young and old, healthy and sick, strong and weak. Do not discount that and think it doesn't affect you. You could get it, spread it unknowingly, being without common symptoms, and kill your brother or your aunt or your wife or some kids mom or dad. Don't freak out about living your life, but please think and be smart, not stupid. People really are relying on other people to do the right thing and our individual actions could have a huge impact on the rest of some body else's life. Please don't let yourselves be 'that guy' and please don't assume you've already gotten it so your good to do whatever you want and disregard professional public health advice. That's like telling your gunsmith how to build a rifle because you know how to make a good sandwich. It just doesn't make sense.

Zorrosdens

LM308MWS-MARS
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2019
The South.
I have worked. And somehow I believe that if you don't know what a paragraph is I should totally trust you.
That’s just silly. Same word content there you and anyone can still read, harder admittedly but easily doable. Just sayin’.

Zorrosdens

LM308MWS-MARS
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2019
The South.
Sorry if my single breath of rant was too uncomfortable to you
What you said was very clear, well spoken, punctuated, spelled well, just no paragraphs no problem for a real reader really. It was a weak deflection on rtB’s part to be honest.

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Hessian
Banned !
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
I have worked in a medium sized hospital around 350 to 450 beds in a popular retirement community for the past ten years that is currently affected by, but not yet over run with covid 19 patients. The regular flu season is very stressful on a hospital and they handle it well because of an ability to supply a typically predicted amount of extra resources (employees, beds, medications, equipment, supplies, etc...) and this is no regular flu season. Here is my perspective for those who don't understand why this is a big deal. This is a highly contagious virus, much more so than a typical flu, with an enourmous potential to ravage any communities hospital and resources. Think of it like this- from the perspective of a community that was on one of those cruise ships where nearly everyone got it and magnify that to show what new york is like now. Keeping in mind that these massive amounts of influx of suspected or positive cases are causing massive strain on the health systems in place there for various reasons. Tidal waves of people are needing healthy healthcare workers who are more likely to be getting sick because they either aren't properly protected, dont think they will get it, or are plain unlucky. If too many people need to use the same resources at once the system breaks down. If anyone doesn't think its a big deal for hospitals to run out of supplies, medications, equipment, or PPE's just imagine what happens when that shortage causes a shortage of healthy able bodied healthcare workers in a hospital for the amount of patients in need of care. If you think its hard to find toilet paper just imagine what a challenge it would be to find skilled workers to run a hospital when the entire nation/world is out of toilet paper and workers already. When the news reports that a large hospital in new york just rented a bunch of refridgerated trucks to stash the over abundance of dead bodies in, people ought to stop and listen. Every person who is infected might react differently to this for the same reason that after getting the flu shot, the person who gets the flu is less likely to be ravaged as badly as the next guy he subsequently infected who in turn had failed to get the shot earlier. In other words, partial immunity from a previous similar, but different exposure. That is only one po
ssible reason it can be a silent killer. Don't discount this coronavirus strain because person a or person b got it and it wasn't that bad. This is hospitalizing and/or killing a relatively large percentage of young and healthy people too compared to the seasonal flu. That doesn't happen hardly ever. This thing is potent and lethal for both the young and old, healthy and sick, strong and weak. Do not discount that and think it doesn't affect you. You could get it, spread it unknowingly, being without common symptoms, and kill your brother or your aunt or your wife or some kids mom or dad. Don't freak out about living your life, but please think and be smart, not stupid. People really are relying on other people to do the right thing and our individual actions could have a huge impact on the rest of some body else's life. Please don't let yourselves be 'that guy' and please don't assume you've already gotten it so your good to do whatever you want and disregard professional public health advice. That's like telling your gunsmith how to build a rifle because you know how to make a good sandwich. It just doesn't make sense.

Thank you, well put.

Raffy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2020
Southern Utah
rtB- I like paragraphs, just less so at 1 am on my phone.

In the spirit of paragraphery here goes:

My perspective is not unique, but is different than most on this forum from being an insider to multiple different facets of the umbrella that is healthcare.

Im sure whatever you do for work would gather the same appreciation given your expertise in whatever it is you do also.

I do however dislike taking care of someone with a contagious disease who is unwilling, but able, to take care of themselves.

Im my opinion they are selfish, short minded, ignorant, and stupid.

Add contagious to the list in the above paragraph and all I want to do is be done with you as soon as I possibly can be. If you get it, don't be suprised or offended if you are handled the same way.

By then you may have realized I am right though.

If you disagree go ask to see a previously healthy 29 year old hanging on to life on a ventilator in the ICU and then come back and explain what that is like to his wife and kids.

Im sure then they will share your perspective.

In US healthcare and life one persons rights end as soon as it intrudes upon the life and/or safety of anothers. Outside in the rest world it should be no different. Please treat it as such.

I hope you liked my paragraphs.

MosesTheTank

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 28, 2011
GA
Maybe I didnt say it right. NOT MY PROBLEM. Motherfuckers get sick everyday. You cant guarantee i gave anyone shit. The problem we have here is we think we have CONTROL over every/anything that happens. when reality is we don't. I spent my time in a war-zone. I've watched people/children die over dumber shit. This "Disease", or whatever bullshit you want to call it, literally means nothing to me. I have kids... The last time i looked at the world statistics on the disease; the rate at which it affected children didnt even quantify a fucking number.
There is no way you are this cerebrally compromised, no matter how much your posts may suggest otherwise. I'm leaning towards drunken rant spiked with the frustration of having something stuck somewhere and no amount of lube and a comealong will get it unstuck.

You want a "guarantee"? You sound like a whiney welfare bitch looking for guaranteed pork rinds and a spliff. There is little doubt that "This "Disease", or whatever bullshit you want to call it, literally means nothing to me.", in fact does mean nothing to you. Calling things by the words which they are actually called would ask for a level of sobriety and effort which you find foreign. While any number of dictionaries may help alleviate the befuddlement, the effort required to get up off of your Doritos encrusted ass and beyond the safety of that urine and vomit soaked LaZBoy is a mountain too high to climb. I suspect that most words leave you in a state of wretched suspense.

The body of information out there is so voluminous I cannot imagine how you could miss all of it entirely, even in light of your situation. The gaping hole of ignorance in which you find yourself entrenched has rendered you unable to disagree with neither the most irrational left-winger interpreting this pandemic as proof positive that Trump himself is a bipedal virion that must be stopped with the disinfectant of Anderson Cooper scowls, nor the most fucked up Alex Jones devotee that is certain the antidote has been locked away in Nancy Peolsi's basement.

Whichever direction you decide to go from here, just fucking try harder.

Last edited:

Dyholcom

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2020
I can tell you guys I thought this virus was BS also. I based that thought on past coronavirus strain symptoms, people running out and panic buying toilet paper, and multiple people comparing it to the flu.

After working this weekend (large intercity hospital in an ICU setting), I can tell you this virus is not like the flu. I have never seen this many people in ARDS at one time.

Most Americans won’t believe it til they see it, but my advice is to respect it and do your best to protect yourself and your family from contracting it. Most might have minimal symptoms and survive, a few will die, but MANY will/are going through a long and painful process in order to get through this illness.

Centuriator

Hessian
Banned !
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
40 to 60,000 dead in this country every year is benign?
No shit?

Stop repeating stupid nonsense.

COVID-19 is not the flu.
It 10 times more lethal than the flu.
Far, far more contagious.
There are no vaccines for it (yet).
There are no therapeutic drugs for it (yet, but looking promising).

Centuriator

Hessian
Banned !
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
"The rest is conjecture/speculation/fear mongering."

You just did it again: repeating stupid nonsense. Deal with it.

Tazman

Private
Belligerents
Jun 18, 2004
Indiana
I think the bigger question now is not what it does but where it truly came from? Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a bio-weapon that was man made and inadvertently released.

Reactions: bigwatchpilot

phlegethon

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
I think the bigger question now is not what it does but where it truly came from? Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a bio-weapon that was man made and inadvertently released.
It isn't man made. If it were, it would have to re-use sequences from other viruses. We don't have the ability to design new proteins from scratch. However, the spike protein sequence is novel enough that it could only have come from nature.

Also, when people express wonderment about where a virus came from, they sound completely retarded. This is something that happens constantly. This is like having unprotected sex and then making a conspiracy theory about why the girl got pregnant.

Tazman

Private
Belligerents
Jun 18, 2004
Indiana
Time will tell. Not all bio-weapons are engineered, some are discovered in nature and disseminated.

Be careful with he name calling please. Makes you appear to be nothing but a fucking pussy who has nothing but the internet and the basement

Last edited:
Reactions: armorpl8chikn

bigwatchpilot

Captain
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2012
Memphis, TN

Sounds like stupid runs in the family...no disrespect intended, just making an observation. If you are offended...Not My Problem.

bigwatchpilot

Captain
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
The only fact in your statement.
The rest is conjecture/speculation/fear mongering
Deal with it.
If the following is not FACT, then please explain why the greatest economy was just shut down...or any other country for that matter, there is nothing to be fearful of in the following:

COVID-19 is not the flu: TRUE (undisputed)
It 10 times more lethal than the flu: TRUE (value may vary based on assumptions)
Far, far more contagious: TRUE (way beyond TRUE)
There are no vaccines for it (yet): TRUE (if not let me and my family know where to get it)
There are no therapeutic drugs for it (yet): TRUE (data analysis is not as simple as you think)

The GREEN makes it even MORE TRUE...

phlegethon

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
If the following is not FACT, then please explain why the greatest economy was just shut down...or any other country for that matter, there is nothing to be fearful of in the following:

COVID-19 is not the flu: TRUE (undisputed)
It 10 times more lethal than the flu: TRUE (value may vary based on assumptions)
Far, far more contagious: TRUE (way beyond TRUE)
There are no vaccines for it (yet): TRUE (if not let me and my family know where to get it)
There are no therapeutic drugs for it (yet): TRUE (data analysis is not as simple as you think)

The GREEN makes it even MORE TRUE...
Don't forget the lack of any prior immunity.

Reactions: bigwatchpilot

MosesTheTank

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 28, 2011
GA
It isn't man made. If it were, it would have to re-use sequences from other viruses. We don't have the ability to design new proteins from scratch. However, the spike protein sequence is novel enough that it could only have come from nature.

Also, when people express wonderment about where a virus came from, they sound completely retarded. This is something that happens constantly. This is like having unprotected sex and then making a conspiracy theory about why the girl got pregnant.
Right on. Genomic epidemiology of novel coronavirus.

To beat this to death because I am weary of the over-reactors (from every direction), and like any of this really needs to be said..? DO NOT listen to Presidents, Governors, or MSM for advice/knowledge/whatever on science. If you are not able to decipher the literature for yourself just ask someone who actually has a background in this crap. The FDA... while they have have many honest and well-meaning scientists, at the end of the day they go on the information given to them by chemical/pharma/biotech companies -> they are the ones who fund the studies. The FDA does not do shit for research.

For all of this talk about drugs and what has an effect on what, same thing. A physician/vet/anyone with a solid education with chemistry and biology and a handy copy of the Physicians Desk Reference is going to be better equipped to understand the mechanism of action than some babbling bobble head on TV.

bigwatchpilot

Captain
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
Right on. Genomic epidemiology of novel coronavirus.

To beat this to death because I am weary of the over-reactors (from every direction), and like any of this really needs to be said..? DO NOT listen to Presidents, Governors, or MSM for advice/knowledge/whatever on science. If you are not able to decipher the literature for yourself just ask someone who actually has a background in this crap. The FDA... while they have have many honest and well-meaning scientists, at the end of the day they go on the information given to them by chemical/pharma/biotech companies -> they are the ones who fund the studies. The FDA does not do shit for research.

For all of this talk about drugs and what has an effect on what, same thing. A physician/vet/anyone with a solid education with chemistry and biology and a handy copy of the Physicians Desk Reference is going to be better equipped to understand the mechanism of action than some babbling bobble head on TV.
Don't forget dudes on the internet...I just read a meme on Hillary killing people, looked at some boobies, got caught up on my 300 PRC and 22LR info, and THIS all in the same place.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
During the 2017-2018 season, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was at or above the epidemic threshold for 16 consecutive weeks. During the past five seasons, the average number of weeks this indicator was above threshold was 11 (range of 7 to 15 weeks). Nationally, mortality attributed to P&I exceeded 10.0% for four consecutive weeks, peaking at 10.8% during the week ending January 20, 2018.

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1). The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness6.

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*†
  • Total cases: 122,653
  • Total deaths: 2,112
  • Jurisdictions reporting cases: 55 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Marianas, and US Virgin Islands)
* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.
† Numbers updated Saturday and Sunday are not confirmed by state and territorial health departments. These numbers will be modified when numbers are updated on Monday.

61,000 people died of flu in 2017-18
34,000 people died of flu in 2018-19
up to 81,000 projected flu deaths for 2019-20

This year up in America up to 54,000,000 people will get the flu and 700,000 will be hospitalized, , thankfully so far the Corona virus has not been as deadly as the flu. Meanwhile the corona virus has only killed about 2,500 people so far.

View attachment 7285433

What do you know, the flu season ends eventually, I bet the corona virus will do the same.

Keep buying toilet paper..........................that should make it better.
Again, you have failed to recognize the threat level.

Percentages matter.

Your argument would be the equivalent of saying you should pay the same dollar number of taxes as Jeff Bezos. He pays millions, so should you.

When a virus that 99.94% of people recover from is compared to one that 95-97% at best recover from, and you keep using the 99.94% to prove why the 97% at best isn’t a big deal.......well, makes sense why our education system doesn’t rank as the best in the world.

wade2big

Knowing just enough to be dangerous
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
Again, you have failed to recognize the threat level.

Percentages matter.

Your argument would be the equivalent of saying you should pay the same dollar number of taxes as Jeff Bezos. He pays millions, so should you.

When a virus that 99.94% of people recover from is compared to one that 95-97% at best recover from, and you keep using the 99.94% to prove why the 97% at best isn’t a big deal.......well, makes sense why our education system doesn’t rank as the best in the world.
I get your point and I am not dismissing the seriousness of this disease, but you keep posting numbers about this virus that are not factual. They are guestimates at this time and here in the US the guestimate is much lower than the 5% you quote anyhow.

10% of the people that were tested for the flu in the US this flu season died. 23,000 people so far. That doesn’t mean the flu kills 10%. This over run by hospitals also happened in 2017 flu season. There were medical tents catching overflow in many hospitals across the country. Hospitals were overwhelmed. Many articles on it.

I only mentioned this for perspective. No need to throw made up numbers at this point.

phlegethon

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
No need to throw made up numbers at this point.
What numbers are being made up? You seem not to acknowledge that one can make inferences from incomplete data. Statistics may be abused, yes, but that doesn't mean that they are all fundamentally invalid, just like the fact that people sometimes lie doesn't mean that we should burn all books.

wade2big

Knowing just enough to be dangerous
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
What numbers are being made up? You seem not to acknowledge that one can make inferences from incomplete data. Statistics may be abused, yes, but that doesn't mean that they are all fundamentally invalid, just like the fact that people sometimes lie doesn't mean that we should burn all books.
Yes people can make inferences on incomplete data. That’s called a guess. The guess may turn out to be correct or not.

MosesTheTank

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 28, 2011
GA

Be careful with he name calling please. Makes you appear to be nothing but a fucking pussy who has nothing but the internet and the basement
More metaphysically insightful words have never been spoken. Most certainly not here in the Bear Pit where calls to civility and decorum always yield substantial results.

Upon reflection I realize that my supposed metropolitan sophistication is nothing more than a thin veneer overlaying a fraught and fragmented soul lashing out from this basement chamber. My words of scorn no more than a variety of ether.

But I have barely even begun...

Last edited:

MosesTheTank

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 28, 2011
GA
Yes people can make inferences on incomplete data. That’s called a guess. The guess may turn out to be correct or not.
Dude, seriously? What is a data scientist or practitioner of the black art of econometrics to do if it's all just a guess? Really?

Reactions: ArmyJerry

phlegethon

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
Incorrect. Mathematical modeling isn't guessing. It's not random whether you are right or not. It depends greatly on how much data there is. If there is a lot of data, you can make predictions that are quite accurate. And that's exactly what's been happening here.

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
"We are shooting MOA, not distance"

This a a quote from a thread yesterday. Would take his guess at where the OCW is in your test?

• Haha
Reactions: Travclem

Tactical_Tom

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 15, 2009
PA, Bradford
Most of the vets I know who saw any real combat are smart enough to keep their heads all the way pressed down into the mud when the bullets are flying, and to expect the unexpected, being shot at normally teaches people a level of caution that seems to have escaped you.

The DFC

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
White Bear Lake, MN
Time will tell. Not all bio-weapons are engineered, some are discovered in nature and disseminated.

Warning somebody of name calling by name calling. Good stuff.