• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Turret housing pushing forward on mount ring - problem?

762libertarian

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
While handling my rifle at home the other day, I noticed that the scope is slid all the way forward so that the turret is contacting the front ring of the mount. I have had no accuracy issues at all, and the scope appears to sit tight. It won't budge or rotate. The mount is a Spuhr mount and the rifle is just a breaked .308.

I usually always keep a small space on the scope tube so that I know that the scope is held to the mount by the clamping force of the rings. If there's no space, then I can't rule out that the mount has slid back on the scope during recoil (rifle goes to the rear, scope stays put due to inertia, causes the scope to move away from the shooter over time, if poorly mounted).

So here I am with a perfectly well functioning rifle that has the scope mounted kind of oddly. Would you loosen the screws, slide the scope forward, retighten the screws and go through the hassle of rezeroing, or would you just let it be? The only action I'm taking is making sure the screws aren't loose.

Reactions: TanMan22
I would slide it back where you want it tighten to proper torque setting and re zero the rifle. Do you have a torque wrench? Definitely don't want to overtighten. Wheeler fat wrench works well.

Reactions: Baron23
I like my scope perfectly centered in my SPUHR mount I usually take a silver Sharpie and put a small witness mark on the scope right against the front of (muzzle side) the ring that way I can tell if the scope has moved even the slightest.

I am in the same position that you were in. Did you remove and rezero or just keep it how you had it. If you did keep it, has it affected accuracy at all. Thank you

I agree with those that tell you to move the scope back and retighten the screws with a good torque wrench. I wouldn't leave the turret hitting the rind. Seems to me each time you fire your rifle it's added pressure on the scope turret against the ring.

I agree with those that tell you to move the scope back and retighten the screws with a good torque wrench. I wouldn't leave the turret hitting the ring.

@TanMan22 - this ^^. Even if you can't easily move the scope in its current position, it got there somehow from its initial position and hence is NOT secured sufficiently.

In addition to not wanting the turret bell to keep banging against the mount during recoil, IMO you don't want to torque down right next to the erector housing.