• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Turret Press for precision reloading???

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    Ok so, I have looked through many threads on presses, and I found one I love (of course it s a $1500 press). The question remains, does a turret press (of the regular variety Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Lee) make as good of precision rifle ammo as a well built regular single stage ?

I'd really like to get a turret press for obvious reasons, but I worry the turret will provide enough flex to cause some issues, or is it fine? Is there one or two that are very well done, and because of that, they are solid enough to make Precision rifle ammo with?

The Forrester Co-ax is what I would get if I didn't get a turret press, and I really don't need to spend $1500 on the Area 419 zero. (If I were somehow able to find a used one, that may be an option). I am hoping to find a turret press that I can be confident in, but if it isn't out there (for a reasonable price) then so be it.

Thanks fellas

Buy once, cry once. If you want the zero buy it. It is a beautiful work of mechanical magic.

Buy once, cry once. If you want the zero buy it. It is a beautiful work of mechanical magic.
    I mean, you aren't wrong... I've just been doing so much "buy once cry once " lately, that I hate to go and spend another $1500 on a press.

It is bad ass isn't it?

It’s a very, very nice press. Literally a pleasure to use and appreciate the craftsmanship. I just can’t describe it.

I have used a Lee 4 hole turret press exclusively for years. It has many benefits. I have stopped believing that the press itself has an influence on precision. The priming system is the simplest and least problematic I have seen. The sequential operation helps me never miss a step. I have loaded somewhere around 50,000 precision rifle rounds on it and I still love it. Caliber changes are quick and painless. If you buy it and don't like it you'll barely be out any cash.

The Zero is fantastic for making precision ammo! I use the SAC dies in mine and the runout on most rounds is .001 or less measured at the ogive.

I have used a Lee 4 hole turret press exclusively for years. It has many benefits. I have stopped believing that the press itself has an influence on precision. The priming system is the simplest and least problematic I have seen. The sequential operation helps me never miss a step. I have loaded somewhere around 50,000 precision rifle rounds on it and I still love it. Caliber changes are quick and painless. If you buy it and don't like it you'll barely be out any cash.
    Why do you think the press doesn't matter? It's. What sets the bullet in the case and how straight it does that, and how accurately it does that, surely has an effect? No?

The Zero is fantastic for making precision ammo! I use the SAC dies in mine and the runout on most rounds is .001 or less measured at the ogive.
    Yeah, I kind of figured that. Id love to have one, but if I can get excellent results from another that isn't $1500, I'd do that, at least for now. I'm not sure if I can or can't though, hence this thread

there is a site that does very detailed measurements, reviews on precision reloading. Also videos. Ultimatereloader on youtube
    I decided on a Redding T7 after reading lots of posts on the following forum because I wanted convenience and precision

Reactions: Juma
    there is a site that does very detailed measurements, reviews on precision reloading. Also videos. Ultimatereloader on youtube
    I decided on a Redding T7 after reading lots of posts on the following forum because I wanted convenience and precision
    Yeah that is really detailed info. Thank you. I'm very undecided now...

Is the CO-AX easy to change dies and how quick is it really? If it's about as quick and its easy, I'd probably rather have that. Not sure how easy it is the actually use, as in putting the shell in place compared to the T7?

Check out Harrell’s precision turret press. I’ve been using it for years as well as a few friends I compete with.

That 419 is just ridiculous. Going to be hard for me to pass that one by I think. I feel like the support I will get here will be critical in that journey.... And by "support" I mean, that everyone here is a high roller and will encourage me to spend as much as possible.....

Reactions: simonp
    Why do you think the press doesn't matter? It's. What sets the bullet in the case and how straight it does that, and how accurately it does that, surely has an effect? No?
    Two things.

1. The dies, not the press, control all of those things.

2. No one has ever proven that how straight you shove a bullet in makes any difference.

Two things.

1. The dies, not the press, control all of those things.

2. No one has ever proven that how straight you shove a bullet in makes any difference.
    Hmmm. Well in my mind (which isn't very experienced in reloading of course) if you seat a bullet at an angle, then even if the die straightens it 100% (which tolerance comes into play to even say that), then wouldn't the bullet going into the shell at an angle cause neck tension differences least? I think that's been proven to have effect right?

Of course the question of "can you shoot to the accuracy level being discussed" always comes into play right, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and our bunch here generally likes to take it as far as possible...

I'm just offerin g discussion about it, not really making a claim on any of these points

Hmmm. Well in my mind (which isn't very experienced in reloading of course) if you seat a bullet at an angle, then even if the die straightens it 100% (which tolerance comes into play to even say that), then wouldn't the bullet going into the shell at an angle cause neck tension differences least? I think that's been proven to have effect right?

Of course the question of "can you shoot to the accuracy level being discussed" always comes into play right, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and our bunch here generally likes to take it as far as possible...

I'm just offerin g discussion about it, not really making a claim on any of these points
    The bullet is straightened by the die before it is pressed in. The die holds the case and the bullet in alignment. I have never seen a statistically meaningful study of runout or neck tension positively affecting precision. For every anecdotal feat of precision that spawned from the most exhaustive reloading process I could counter with an equally anecdotal story of amazing precision that derived from a cheapskate with 3rd rate equipment.

I have come to believe that 99% of all precision stems from quality bullets and barrels. The reloaders job is just to produce a product with no massive glaring flaws. The latter can be done with very rudimentary equipment.

I was using a Rock Chucker Supreme before I got the Zero and it made pretty good ammo. Run out was typically less than .002 with some occasionally maxxed at .004. The Zero does reduce the runout for me, but it is a very small difference that probably doesn't shoot any differently. The reason I got the Zero was more because it is a turret press and I wouldn't have to change my dies out and readjust them whenever I went to the next operation or switched to a different caliber.

The Redding T7 is tried and true. I love it, works great and will last forever.

This. My only dig on the press is that the ball bearing for the detents isn't captured, so when you change turrets you have to be extra careful so as not to lose it (I also have six extras on standby).

Most people will never change turrets, though, so it is zero impact there. It is insanely solid. I love the press.

The bullet is straightened by the die before it is pressed in. The die holds the case and the bullet in alignment. I have never seen a statistically meaningful study of runout or neck tension positively affecting precision. For every anecdotal feat of precision that spawned from the most exhaustive reloading process I could counter with an equally anecdotal story of amazing precision that derived from a cheapskate with 3rd rate equipment.

I have come to believe that 99% of all precision stems from quality bullets and barrels. The reloaders job is just to produce a product with no massive glaring flaws. The latter can be done with very rudimentary equipment.
    This guy gets it

Kind of aligns with some thing Brian Litz was saying about the reloading process. It all comes down to "does it shoot better" for sure.

759F7820-436E-4628-A309-403697297A75.jpeg

Do it, I agonized over it as well, in the end very glad I went this route. While your at it get the Area 419 lock rings...

I am running all of my precision loads on a simple old dillon 650XL. I just use a couple of chargemasters to throw powder and a 550 powder die. I havent seen a big shift in load precision and it cranks them out.

The interaction between shell holder and the die does matter. Forster co-ax fixed this. Most presses are capable of working around this as the shell holder has a bit of "wobble" in it. So it self aligns.

Arbor press fix this issue also for seating. I can't find a negative in accuracy. Yea speed of pressing from cartridge to cartridge is slower, but accuracy is the point here.

RCBS rock chucker, redding t7, Forster co-ax, a419 zero, all completely worthy units.

The Area 419 is a beautiful piece of machinery but dont know that I could justify that cost unless I was really cranking out a ton of precision ammo or I was competing (hopefully with a sponsor to take the sting out of the price).

I have been using the Forester Co-Ax and their dies, maybe a touch slower, but certainly has provided me with accurate ammo so far - granted Im only about 2 years in on trying to reload precision rifle ammo.

The Area 419 is a beautiful piece of machinery but dont know that I could justify that cost unless I was really cranking out a ton of precision ammo or I was competing (hopefully with a sponsor to take the sting out of the price).

I have been using the Forester Co-Ax and their dies, maybe a touch slower, but certainly has provided me with accurate ammo so far - granted Im only about 2 years in on trying to reload precision rifle ammo.
    How do you find the access on the Forester CO-AX? Some presses are not as easy to use as others imo, because it's kind of tough to get my big hand in there to hold a bullet and she'll while seating? That's one of the main features (besides the obvious ones) of the 419 Zero press that really stands out to me. I also like the CO-AX though, especially if the dies are quick to change out (which it sounds like they are with their system), but two pillars seem like they would be a tiny bit difficult to get your hand in there to load? Is that the case or am I just not getting a good side view of it?

Maybe you have a much bigger hand than me? I wear medium to large gloves so not a small hand & zero difficulty to get in there and load.

Maybe you have a much bigger hand than me? I wear medium to large gloves so not a small hand & zero difficulty to get in there and load.
    I can barely fit in a large and always get x-large gloves, it's really more long fingers than overall hand size though. I've had a little bit of an "issue" (not really an issue but I'm not sure how else to say it) with having enough room using my buddies single stage regular press. That's why I'm focusing on that aspect a little bit. I would love the zero but I'd probably buy the CO-AX used off eBay if I was sure it would be easy to use for me. It looks like a great press and would save me about $1k

Ok so, I have looked through many threads on presses, and I found one I love (of course it s a $1500 press). The question remains, does a turret press (of the regular variety Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Lee) make as good of precision rifle ammo as a well built regular single stage ?

I'd really like to get a turret press for obvious reasons, but I worry the turret will provide enough flex to cause some issues, or is it fine? Is there one or two that are very well done, and because of that, they are solid enough to make Precision rifle ammo with?

The Forrester Co-ax is what I would get if I didn't get a turret press, and I really don't need to spend $1500 on the Area 419 zero. (If I were somehow able to find a used one, that may be an option). I am hoping to find a turret press that I can be confident in, but if it isn't out there (for a reasonable price) then so be it.

Thanks fellas
    I used Lee Classic Turret with Lee dies for almost a decade for all ammo: plinking, precision, etc.

Have at it.

I also use the Lee 4 hole press, as a single stage. Sometimes 4 isn't enough and I have to swap plates but have several and they are cheap.
    The T7 looks better, and of course the Zero is the cat's meow (would require a Go Fund Me :) )
    I could probably load better ammo with it and some day when I'm good could probably notice the improvement.
    Having a second starter press might not really be a bad idea. It's not like you have to trash it when you get the better one.

I can swap dies in my Forster faster than I can move the turret and retorque my Zero press. The Zero is a work of art however I have not seen in difference in quality of ammunition between the two. You can buy lots of goodies with the price difference. That being said I will never turn loose of either one.

I can swap dies in my Forster faster than I can move the turret and retorque my Zero press. The Zero is a work of art however I have not seen in difference in quality of ammunition between the two. You can buy lots of goodies with the price difference. That being said I will never turn loose of either one.

Do you have to re torque every time you move the turret? I don't do anything on my turret press when I change?