• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Turret Question

OliverAusTX

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Austin, TX
Hello, All.

Just getting started here at the Hide after using it as probably the most valuable resource on the Internet. Greatly respect anyone here for their knowledge and experience!

Let me dive right into it and start my first post with an issue that I am currently dealing with. I plunked down some serious cash on a new scope ($1,700 is serious for me) and received it over the weekend. I do not yet want to get into the brand, as I want to give the manufacturer a chance to deal with this before publically dinging them. I come from product development, so I know that things can go wrong. However, I want to be sure that I am not overly critical on this.

Issue: The scope has an elevation turret with about 18 MILS of adjustment. When the turrret is dialed all the way down and zero'ed (has a zero stop) I can dial up 18 MILS, so that part is confirmed and working. The issue I am running into is that the turret dials smoothly and freely with distinct clicks up to about 7 MILS and then the elevation knob tightens up a bit (similar to hitting the end of the elevation range). Clicks become harder to dial in as it requires more force. After another 3 MILS (basically when completing the first rotation) the turret frees up again, dials smoothly again and clicks are easy select until you hit the actual adjustment limit of the scope.

I am not sure if I am overly cautious here, but my expectation for a $1,700 scope is that it should dial the entire elevation range with equal resistance and that only at the end of the adjustment range (in this case 18 MILS) clicks will get tighter because you hit the end of the rotational range.

Any input, advice or experience values would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you anyone for your time in getting me some feedback.

Best,

Oliver

It would be helpfull if you did divulge the manufacture of the scope for two reasons. A lot of them watch these forums and will sometimes jump out and take quick action to help resolve the issue. And secondly a user with similar product may have had similar issue with simple fix...

For example, the NF NSX elivation turret has two small Allen screws to tighten it to the zero stop mechanism, if these screws are tightened unevenly it can cause what feels like resistance on one half of the knob where it is slightly canted...

Just say'n

Appreciate the feedback. I have also contacted the manufacturer and they will simply exchange the scope, so no harm done on my end.

I did loosen up the turret adjustment screws and made sure they were not the issue.

Agree that divulging the manufacturer would get more folks to respond, but I also know that this is a pretty powerful message board and any disclosures here about quality concerns can have a great impact on folks producing these scopes. While I agree that it is for the better good of the community to know about issues with certain manufacturers, I do not want to give anyone a bad rap because of one mishap.

Should I experience more issues with the same manufacturer I will certainly be more than happy to make it a more public matter. This opinion comes mainly from me being in product development myself and also knowing that no matter how good your product is, there is always a chance of something slipping through the cracks in (mass) production, unless you are hand building and hand inspecting every single product.

Again, thank you for the responses!

Oliver

Shit happens. A bad scope isn't going to ruin any company's reputation as they all have them but it's tough to help without the full picture. Short answer from what you have posted is send it back. Doesn't sound right.

A bad scope will not ruin a reputation.

But poor handling of a issue sure can. :)

And if you have been around here longer than a few weeks you would know that there are many industry people on this site who can also help with issues but not knowing any specifics won't make that happen.

Rob01 and Pinecone:

Totally agree that the defect is not the issue and that handling of the issue by the manufacturer is key. They did good by me as I would expect at this price level. Also, Rob01, appreciate the pointer on the industry experts-- I will take advantage of that with better disclosure in the future.

As next step, I hope to be able to give someone a helping hand with an issue they may have so that I can give back to the community and don't just suck the knowledge and experience out of others :)