• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Turrets with distinctive tactile feel

MRDRFCKR

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2017
Hello all I know the title is kind of vaguely worded, but I was hoping someone could help me find scopes with similar turret feel to schmidt & bender's PMII, where the difference between the click of a 0.1mil turn and the clunk of a full mil are very distinct. Bit of a weird thing to prefer I know but I have a hard time finding scopes with this feature, even among videos where they discuss the tactile feel of turrets. It's the one thing that really disappoints me on my vortex razor, the clicks are tactile enough but I really miss the confidence of knowing exactly how many mils I was ripping through quickly while dialing without having to look at the turret or count individual 0.1 mil adjustments.

I heard a rumor it was a patented design only S&B had, that recently got leased to US Optics, is this true? Or have I just been looking in the wrong places.

Reactions: Cameron Baucom
I also heard that Schmidt&Bender has a patent on this mechanism. Seems like the most logical explanation.

Reactions: rottenruger
If I recall correctly some of the Tangent Theta 5-25 scopes have that feature as well. Not sure if they are still producing it as an option though. I know it was called MTC on the S&B scopes but not sure of the name on TT.

@Covertnoob5 - is that correct, if so do you recall what that feature is called?

Last edited:
Reactions: Secant
Your talking about the MTC or more tactile click turrets with the hard click at each mil. Not sure about patents but it was something I didn’t like in the S&B turrets and others didn’t either as you can have it taken out and people did. Coming out of the hard full mil is tough at times to get to the .1-.2 before or after. If you like it that’s great but it’s not something you need to know how many mils you turn. They put big numbers on the turret for that. ;)

Reactions: camocorvette
Mtc rocks when shooting at night. I won't own a scope without it.

TT also has it on older models called cca click count assist

I know Athlons new Cronus line has an extremely crisp turret dial for sure. The Cronus BTR is equipped with our applauded internal stainless-steel component turret design that give you that sharp, loud, tactile clicks.
nice comment schill. not even related to the OP's question

he's talking about S&B MTC turrets

Reactions: Huskydriver
If I recall correctly some of the Tangent Theta 5-25 scopes have that feature as well. Not sure if they are still producing it as an option though. I know it was called MTC on the S&B scopes but not sure of the name on TT.

@Covertnoob5 - is that correct, if so do you recall what that feature is called?
Yea that was a limited run called CCA. Probably the only company to ever really do that feature properly.

Reactions: TangoSierra916
Thanks, I do. Not sure why you felt the rest of your comment was necessary but I appreciate the info.

Because it’s a website and I commented. Used the S&B scopes a lot so figured I would add to it for people who cared.

OP, so are you looking for more tactile clicks between .1 mil or are you wanting the MTC/CCA style "heavier" full mil click? It seems you are referring more to the MTC style so will keep my comments in that regard. Regarding Schmidt's MTC I was not a fan of the "old" version as on every scope I owned from Schmidt I would over or under travel by .2 to .3 mils each time I went past the full mil mark. That being said, Schmidt came out with a turret called the DT II+ and, having used several with these turrets, I would never buy a Schmidt without them, they are the best turrets Schmidt has put out to date; not only do you get a much improved MTC (no over/under travel issues), you also get one of the best locking mechanisms on the market, instead of lifting up the turret to lock/unlock there is a lever in the back of the turret tower that has three positions: 1) MTC Off 2) Lock On 3) Lock Off I forget in which order and too lazy to look up right now. ;) The biggest issue with Schmidt right now is the insane pricing for the US Market, unless you can find a good deal in the classifieds, you might want to sit down before you look at current prices at EO, their only US distributor.

UPDATE: A few other thoughts - what is nice about being able to turn "off" the locking mechanism is that other scopes with lock/unlock feature the only way to manipulate the turret is to set it in the unlock position, with the DT II+ you can turn this off and freely spin the turret without fear of accidentally pushing the turret down and locking it again. By default the turret is in MTC mode but you also can turn that off as well, but it is executed so well in this design that I would leave it on. With the explosion of NV and Thermal clip on hunting, you can't always just look to see where the turret is at, so I understand having more tactile clicks in low light environments where seeing the turret location is not easily done. This is where systems like Revic's HUD and Steiner's IFS really have an advantage since you can see settings when looking through the scope.

Last edited:
Originally the MTC was developed by USO and licensed to other brands. Premier had it, TT had it for a while, S&B offers it, and the new Zeiss does as well. I love it with the exception of the older PMII models as the clicks are too close together and it’s difficult to dial just .1 mil at a time. The new DTII+ turrets are money though. It’s a great feature but not appreciated by all.

Also the Hensoldt scopes have the MTC.

Tangent Theta offered optional CCA (Click Count Assist) turrets for a while. I have a 5-25 with it. It was only available for a short period of time, and Orkan told me that they have no intentions of making them available again. Too bad, because I like the functionality