• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tutorial on aligning/bedding 2-piece base?

dpilot83

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2010
I have a long action Remington 700. Since it does not have a detachable magazine I place a great deal of value on top loading. Therefore I would like to avoid a 1 piece base for the new optic I am buying. Unfortunately I have been searching this site and Googling in general for an hour or so and I have not been able to find any information about how to properly set a scope up using a 2 piece base. Maybe I'm just searching for the wrong thing. Is there anyone who would care to explain it to me or provide a link? Thanks.

Re: Tutorial on aligning/bedding 2-piece base?

Anyone willing to take a stab at it for me or point me in the right direction? Still not finding what I'm looking for in my searches. Maybe I just need to get a one piece?

My guess would-be to use a lapping bar. Attach the base to the action set the rings to the base then the lap bar. Remove the bar and rings from the base, remove the front base and attach to the front ring. attach the assembly to the rear base and check for the gap under the front base. Then do the same to check for the rear. I would think this would almost be the same as the one piece base.

I never had a chance to play with a lapping bar, and this is only a theory of mine that I have thought of doing in the past if I had to use a 2 piece base.

Good luck.

What kind of rings/bases? I have used talley lightweights on several 700s and have come up with a system to be sure they are aligned:

Get a 1" or 30mm shaft depending upon your scope diameter (I work at a machine shop, made my own),

loctite the front base down (blue loc tite)

put the 2 screws in the rear base but don't tighten

Clamp the shaft with the top rings on both front and rear but make sure it leaves the rear screw hole access able from the top (keep the shaft flush with the ring)

Loctite and tighter the rear screw, let it sit for 24 hours

Remove the rings, loctite the front screw in the rear mount

Install your scope

Depending upon what you are using, if the screw holes to the bases are accessible from the top with the rings on you can do the same thing. Since the front base on 700 is less flat, I always lock it down first. The rear is a little flatter and subject to positioning

Or you could lap them

You can still top load very easily with a 1 piece rail, thousands of people do it. IMO a big windage knob gets in the way more when top loading than the rail.

That said, jtv3062 uses the same method I do for bedding a two piece base. It can be a little tricky to get everything square though.

My suggestion is to just get a 1 piece rail and try it. You can get the weaver tactical for a little over $30 from midway and its an excellent rail. It has a recoil lug built in which most cheaper ones don't have and I have never had one that wasn't perfectly in spec. Bed it up and if you decide you still want a two piece you won't lose much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess would-be to use a lapping bar. Attach the base to the action set the rings to the base then the lap bar. Remove the bar and rings from the base, remove the front base and attach to the front ring. Place the front base into the front ring and attach the assembly to the rear base and check for the gap under the front base. Then do the same to check for the rear. I would think this would almost be the same as the one piece base.

I never had a chance to play with a lapping bar, and this is only a theory of mine that I have thought of doing in the past if I had to use a 2 piece base.

Good luck. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess would-be to use a lapping bar. Attach the base to the action set the rings to the base then the lap bar. Remove the bar and rings from the base, remove the front base and attach to the front ring. attach the assembly to the rear base and check for the gap under the front base. Then do the same to check for the rear. I would think this would almost be the same as the one piece base.

Good luck. </div></div>

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea. The only concern I have is that the lap bar patterns while being capable of truing a surface when ran back and forth, may not be true over such a short distance as what would be represented by just one ring. I wonder if this would be worthy of being concerned about?

My thought is to use the lap bar not to lap the rings but to align the rings. I always bed my bases so the rings will be aligned with each other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMS1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of rings/bases? I have used talley lightweights on several 700s and have come up with a system to be sure they are aligned:

Get a 1" or 30mm shaft depending upon your scope diameter (I work at a machine shop, made my own),

loctite the front base down (blue loc tite)

put the 2 screws in the rear base but don't tighten

Clamp the shaft with the top rings on both front and rear but make sure it leaves the rear screw hole access able from the top (keep the shaft flush with the ring)

Loctite and tighter the rear screw, let it sit for 24 hours

Remove the rings, loctite the front screw in the rear mount

Install your scope

Depending upon what you are using, if the screw holes to the bases are accessible from the top with the rings on you can do the same thing. Since the front base on 700 is less flat, I always lock it down first. The rear is a little flatter and subject to positioning

Or you could lap them </div></div>

I haven't decided what base and rings to use yet. I want a 20 or maybe even a 30 moa base but other than that, I'm open to suggestions.

For some reason I'm not following your suggestions very well. I really like the idea of machining a bar. On the rest of it I'm not sure though. If you loctite the front base down then it's there for good so you're trying to align the rear base to the front base. If you loctite the rear screw of the rear base down at that point, that would put a strain on the front ring/base if the rear of the action happens to be lower than the front of the action.

Am I looking at this wrong? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My thought is to use the lap bar not to lap the rings but to align the rings. I always bed my bases so the rings will be aligned with each other. </div></div>

Yeah, I see what you mean but what I'm wondering is if a lap bar is uniform enough? For example since there is a pattern on the lap bar, if you clamp the rear ring down towards the rear of the lap bar, will the lap bar and the rear ring be perfectly in line or will the rear of the ring clamp a different part of the pattern than the front of the ring causing a misalignment between the ring and the bar?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can still top load very easily with a 1 piece rail, thousands of people do it. IMO a big windage knob gets in the way more when top loading than the rail.

That said, jtv3062 uses the same method I do for bedding a two piece base. It can be a little tricky to get everything square though.

My suggestion is to just get a 1 piece rail and try it. You can get the weaver tactical for a little over $30 from midway and its an excellent rail. It has a recoil lug built in which most cheaper ones don't have and I have never had one that wasn't perfectly in spec. Bed it up and if you decide you still want a two piece you won't lose much.
</div></div>

That is probably a good idea. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should be a good option, http://www.mccannindustries.com/rem700.htm </div></div>

I really like the looks of that too. Sounds like I have a lot of options to do a good job now. Thanks a lot everyone.

Just get a set of Nightforce dual bases. http://nightforceoptics.com/accessories/two-piece-tapered-steel-base/

http://shop.milehighshooting.com/Nightforce-A111-Rem-700-L-A-2pc-20-MOA-Base-NF-A111.htm

They are specifically tapered with 20 moa cant to dial out to 1000+. Combine with a low or Med ring set and your 50mm scope will not sit too high above the bore.

Without the cant you may be able to dial out to 700 or so (depending on scope), I ran a pair on my Rem700 SA 308.

Sure you can still top load with a singel base, but for hunting I like mine free and clear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get a set of Nightforce dual bases. http://nightforceoptics.com/accessories/two-piece-tapered-steel-base/

http://shop.milehighshooting.com/Nightforce-A111-Rem-700-L-A-2pc-20-MOA-Base-NF-A111.htm

They are specifically tapered with 20 moa cant to dial out to 1000+. Combine with a low or Med ring set and your 50mm scope will not sit too high above the bore.

Without the cant you may be able to dial out to 700 or so (depending on scope), I ran a pair on my Rem700 SA 308.

Sure you can still top load with a singel base, but for hunting I like mine free and clear. </div></div>

Thanks. I was wondering who made a good one if I decided on the two piece design. Those look good and they can't be too bad if they're made by NF. Thanks again.