• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TVP 2010 Match Schedule

Tom Sarver

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2007
Coshocton,OH USA
Shooters,
Our schedule is filling up. Please understand that some of the matches and dates at some point may need to be adjusted. Example, when we start the new courses like 500 yard and under and the Gauntlet, if participation is low and not much interest we will adjust back to Intimidator. Which is VERY popular at this point. So with all that in mind I tried to customize the schedule for different shooting interests. I guess we will feel it out and see what happens.

March
7th 500 & under steel (need a name for this)
14th Intimidator
20th Intimidator
21st Gauntlet
27th 8th annual .308 only match
April
3rd IBS 1000 yard matches 1&2
3rd 1st Suppressed only nite shoot
4th IBS 600 yard matches 1&2
10th 500 yard & under steel
11th Intimimdator
17th-18th ALL suppressed 1000 yard paper shoot day position one nite shoot. details soon
Shark Suppressors/David Whitson will be here
23rd-25th .50 shoot North coast shooters club all .50 shooters welcome. more details soon
May
1st IBS 1000 yard matches 3&4
1st All suppressed nite shoot
2nd IBS 600 yard matches 3&4
15th Gaunlet
16th Intimidator
23rd 500 yard & under steel
29th Intimidator day and suppressor only nite shoot
June
5th IBS 1000 yard matches 5&6
6th IBS 600 yard matches 5&6
12th Gauntlet
13th 500 yard and under steel
19th Intimidator
26th Intimidator day/nite shoot agg/individual
July
3rd IBS 1000 yard macthes 7&8
4th IBS 600 yard matches 7&8
10th 500 yard and under steel
11th Intimidator
17th Suppressed only paper match
18th Gauntlet
24th Intimidator day/nite shoot agg/individual
25th 500 yard and under steel
August
7th IBS 1000 yard matches 9&10
8th IBS 600 yard matches 9&10
14th Intimidator
15th 500 yard & under steel
21st Intimidator day/nite shoot agg/individual
22nd Gauntlet
28th 500 yard & under
29th Intimidator

Ok, hopefully this spells it out for now. I will post all details for matches in ample time for you to be prepaired.
We are very much looking forward to our 2010 shooting season, it's been a long winter!
More info coming soon.

Thanks,
Tom Sarver
TVP

Re: TVP 2010 Match Schedule

goin'hot

No problem..I've been working on it a while. I hope it's what the shooters want. A little for everyone.

Tom

Looks like it could be a busy summer, I may have to buy another reloading press. Like the idea of the 500 and under, now I might be able to talk some new shooters in to coming to a match. How is the 500 and under set up, will you shoot from benches or positions?
Thanks for the heads up Tom

I like the schedule...now I can hopefully get out and do some shooting...I finally have the 300 ready to go!!

Thanks for the schedule. That helps a lot. Will the short course be bolt friendly or is it geared more toward the AR? What's the plan for it? Might be a good idea to make sure noone uses surplus or steel cored ammunition as it does bad stuff to steel targets!!!!

"March 27th 8th annual .308 only match"

Is this shot on the intimidator? Anything eles to know about it?

The .308 Challenge is a paper shoot from the benches. We shoot 3 targets at 600 and 3 targets a 1000 yards for group and score. It's an aggregate match and some shooters have shot all seven matches from 2003. You have unlimited sighters for 6 minutes first target and 2 mins for the rest. You will shoot 5 record shots at each target. There will be a score winner and a group winner. Other calibers can shoot in the match too in the "any other" class. Start time is 10:00 a.m and registration begins at 7:30 a.m. Match fee is $60.00
We will shoot relays, if there are 40 shooters there will be two relays of 20 shooters. You will sight in on clay birds and when your record time begins you will fire 5 shots into your record target. Winners will receive "wood"..our new Thunder Valley Precision plaque with logo.
I will be in and out today and tomorrow to answer all your questions you may have or you can call me on my cell 740-502-6530.
Queston is...who has the most accurate .308 on the east coast?
Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooters,
500 & under steel (need a name for this)
</div></div>

Short Bus Match
grin.gif

Hey now!
Many of us may resemble that.
Sounds good to me...

Tom,

Thank's for the heads up on the .308 shoot.
Looking forward to another great year.
I think I missed more shoots so far, than all of last year!
Looks like ya got a busy summer planned.

Since the first match is 500 and under can we have a little info please? Benches or from positions...Bolt guns or just AR's or both...Iron or scopes or both....Caliber restriction....Just wondering

Thanks

What is the course of fire,distance and any other info you could provide on the "Gauntlet" and "Intimidator" type matches? Thanks

Gauntlet is new this year so I'm no help

Intimidator Steel Course... 4 positions with 4 targets each... up to three shots at each target... 10 points first round hits... 5 for second... 2 for third. Ranges are from 250yds to 1200yds

See ya there

Basics of short course might be in the first shoot post.

Tom has said several times.
Shoot what ya bring.
Ideas were 500 and under hunting type course.
Also said to get sticks together.
(May not be all prone.)

Gauntlet is someting different.

awesome. i think the 500 and under would be perfect for my first time at tvp..i cant wait to get a chance to get down there

Shooters,

Sorry for the delay,

Ok first the 500 yard and under. This course will be large caliber friendly also. .338 ans under, although my original idea was for smaller cartridges like .222 .233 basically varmints rifles and AR's. But after seeing alot of shooters fail to hit of shorter distant targets..even all three shots I decided this would help them learn more about their skill and how to make it better. Example...how many times have we seen good shooters miss the 275 yard target ALL 3 shots? And I know most of them would have bet money they would hit it the first shot. Mainly it's an illusion..the 275 yard target is slightly quartered away. As in real life shooting situations...you can't ask the enemy or old mr ground hog or deer to please square up with me so I have a better chance to hit you. I heard some shooters complain about this. All the targets are set the way they are for a reason. And when you get awesome enough to shoot a perfect 160...you can honestly say you the best shooter on the planet. Perfect example..remember when we where kids and the video games were a huge NEW thing..you played Pac Man like a nut trying to beat the game..each time you got better until one day you beat that little bastard. Well, this course makes pac man look like the dork he really was. If anyone ever aces this course he could call the president and say fire everyone in your protection agency all you need is me. Mr. Hathcock would tip his hat to you from Sniper Heaven.
With that said the same course design for the 500 and under (16 12"x12"targets)will be just as much of a challenge, but not set up so you will fail totally. It will make you think and make you a better shooter..even if you think you already are..like MR.Intimidator.
I was hoping to have it completed by now but the snow has prevented me from doing so. I can't get to any of the positions the snow is so deep from high wind drifts..some 4' or better..imagine that..high wind at TVP. Which brings me to a recent situation were a so called HIGH END security company approached me about using my facility to train profession operators to shoot long range in a certain part of the world...they happened to show up on one of the windest days I've seen here..the head person asked me..."is it always this windy..is it like shooting in a wind tunnel here"? Needless to say I never heard from them again. I guess the TVP wind made them reconsider. Maybe they are going to use a wind machine with just the right amount of wind to train their personnel?
Anyway, 500 and under will be completed as soon as I can get mobile enough to get the material out there to set it up..and weed eat. First melt it will be done. I will discuss the Gauntlet next in another post.

Tom
TVP

Thats a schedule I can work with and envy those that are participating at the same time. Hopefully I can make a fair amount of days. We'll see.

The 500 and under course needs a title. While there was a title mentioned prior to my post,it would not be fitting or approiate in most circumstances. With the "Intimidator" course,well,its just that.It makes me think and re-think. I have called it the "Plan Changer" a couple times or more. Well,several times. I have no doubt Tom can make a difficult course even if it is 500 yards. The acronym "FUBAR" may be the approiate title for the short course. That is in the kinder,gentlier sense of the acronym,of course. Somehow,I don't think its going to be a walk in the park either.

van

At 500 yards max if may sound easy but like others have said based on how it's set up it can give everyone a case of eating Humble Pie. Maybe the Humbler?

You'd think someone wishing to really learn to shoot at extreme distances would like to work with variables with wind, I'm sure that thruout the day the wind changes and may be even nonexistant to allow work with a lot of variables. Maybe there isn't any wind to deal with in the perfect real life shooting situations they will encounter.

Topstrap

The Intimidator got its name because of position one being intimidating, so instead of trying to name the short course now why don't we shoot it then see what comes to mind. Just a thought...But I do like Humble Pie

Tom, here's an idea. If you could somehow combine parts of the short course, Intimidator, Gauntlet, and maybe some paper you might have the makings of a serious regional match. The biggest challenge would likely be safely running 75 or so shooters on a 2 day match.

mscott,

I'm all for a two day match. I'm sure we can come up with something.
As for the Intimidator, if we have 20+ shooters I think we will try to shoot position one and two at the same time in two equal or so groups. Then meet up a position three. I've been curious to see how it will work so with luck we will have 20-30 shooters next match and sort out our growing pains early.
I need a couple of experienced shooters who have shot the Intimidator to help me and be RSO's. I will take a group and someone else qualified can take another.
I hope if weather permits will be able to have the 500&under course completed by March 7th. If not..we will shoot the Intimidator till I can get it done. I hear we may have more snow to come!!! Who ever is praying for snow...please stop!
I will have some more details for you about the Gauntlet soon.
Lets just say for now it will be a high speed shooting course designed to improve your hand/eye cooridination and instinctive shooting capabilities. Bolt guns and carbines will be the prefered weapons for this course..ultimatly this will become a team match also. It will be a "running gun" course unknown distance your first time..maybe? I'm still designing it and the layout is very interesting to say the least. This course will challenge you physically and will be timed. You will have only so many rounds of ammo. ALL targets must be "HIT" before you proceed through the course. If you run out of bullets and have tagets left...your done. Example...20 targets..40 rounds max. This is just an example but there may be at least 20 targets spaced out over a 400-500 yard stretch. Targets will be 18"x30" B-mods with 12" square plate in the vitals that will react spaced from 75 yards to 500 yards. If you hit the 12" plate its 20 points..any other hit on steel is 5 points. You will shoot from natural rests and cover positions like rocks and trees and hay bails. There will be a runner to keep score and an observer from a distance also to match scores. This is th epart of the design I'm struggling with but I will come up with something. I have it all in my head and on paper it's just if the terrain and time will allow me to do what is planned. Of course safty is our biggest concern so the design has to be well thought out. A time will be set to complete the course. This will be determined by myself running through the course MANY times before I open it up to the shooters. I will then take my average time and add to it for those who will be new to this kind of shooting. It will be fair across the board to say the least. Once again, as the Intimidator, this course will have a range record establised the first time out. After that it's trying to beat your personal best and improve your hits and ammo left ratio. This course may not be for everyone.

Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This course may not be for everyone.

TVP </div></div>

+1

Tom-

Yep,I admit it...

It was me.I was praying for snow.Just another thing to keep myself from having fun at the range.

It didn't snow today but I cleared ice from the driveway and sidewalks for awhile. That was fun. Can't wait to do it again.

Need to get back out there soon.

van

All of Tom's courses are for everyone.
They are not to scare, but to make you think.
Why should anyone be afraid of a little piece of steel?

More than willing to take shooters around course.
Will I need to teach spotters also?
How many have dope for wrong targets at station 4?

Dope for first target should already be dialed in.(any station)
"Many guys more than willing to help" (see George Carlin)
We always work together finding targets, and stop there.
Working together, no need to fumble.

We all have a lot to learn to reach 160.

tom,
i came in late on this thread. Just saw your 2010 schedule. What is the address or web address for the range. I'm in NY/NJ so I'm trying to figure out travel distance for a weekend

Our address is 15786 TR 118 Kimbolton Ohio 43749
Web address is thundervalleyprecision.com
Please feel free to call me with questions.
740-502-6530

Tom
TVP

new course for this weekend.
500 and under.
what will we bring?
How will we help?
who gets to name?
we all need to post pics.
Calling corections with most spotting scopes, requires head math.
Not hard, once you know the range.
new to all now!

tao te ching

Did the 500 and under course get completed?
Just wondering what ammo to load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did the 500 and under course get completed?

</div></div>
Need to make plans for the weekend and would like to know if the 500 and under course is up? If so Im in and Im bringing a friend who has never been to TVP yet.
Expected round count? ,(deciding on which gun to bring) and realisticly are bolt guns gonna be able to finish in time?
Thanks STEVE

Shooters,

The 500 yard and under course IS NOT COMPLETED. For two reasons, mainly the amount of snow we have had it wasn't possible for me to get to the positions with the Rhino. Tried to Friday February 19th and got stuck 150 yards into the trip. Then I came down with a bad cold that following day which I tried to ride out. I finally decided to go to doctor on Thursday the 25th and the doctor told me I had walking pneumonia. So with that said I've been stuck in the house for two weeks and I'm still not any better. Sorry for the delay but due to the uncontrollable circustances I just could not get it done.

As for this Sunday the 7th everyone is welcome to come out and TRY and shoot the Intimidator. Not sure if I will be able to be out there or not yet. Let us know what you want to do.

Thanks,
Tom
TVP

I think this weather sucks for just about everyone. Just take care of yourself and get ready for a busy summer. I'd say as wet as everything is going to be just make it a range day for anyone that wants to shoot the benches and position 1. If you allow vehicles on ground this wet it would certainly do some damage. I'm most likely out for Sunday, but hopefully things will be better on the first day of spring.

No problem, we'll figure it out!
I was there for the snow.
Had 12-14 in morn.
Two plows, six hours, my way.
Power went out after lunch Sat.

How many guy's want to shoot this weekend?
At one point, Tom said it was our course.
HMMM...
He already has idea for targets.
Maybe we can help put a couple there.
First to shoot.
First to range and get.
Win-Win for all.

"Snowflake" (softer word)
Should be easy.
Sounds easy next to the long course, right?

How many have doubted their spotter @ 276?
How many have missed on shot two?
Spotter was right!
Two points, instead of five.
Zero points, instead of ten.

All work together to get tens.

Tom What about some shooting from the benches on Saturday?

I think we will take a vote on what to do Sunday moring. The course should be shootable...snow has melted some, but it will have to be walked. It's what ever you guys want to do.

Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we will take a vote on what to do Sunday moring. The course should be shootable...snow has melted some, but it will have to be walked. It's what ever you guys want to do.

Tom
TVP </div></div>

Walked probably would have been best.From what I saw it was greasy.I only shot from the third position.I did more shooting from the building.Needed to get a rifle sighted in and find out come ups for different yardages anyway.Wind conditions were pretty mild for Thunder Valley.It was good for what I was doing.

Tom-

We will need to talk about a .260 for me. After I saw you shooting a mile with it accurately,I've been seriously considering it. Seems to be what I'm looking for in my rifles.I was thinking a light weight hunting configuration.

van

Van,

let me know, we can fix you up. Yes, hitting a 12"x12" square plate at a mile with a .260 on the fourth shot is an awesome feeling. I get a kick out of the cartridge after shooting the Hulk for so long. The first three shots showed a .260 will still kick up enough dirt to tell you what you need to do. How about tomorrow we hang two targets up at a mile and see how what kind of group we can get? I'll have some Hulk ammo loaded too.

Tom

Tom,
As the weather gets better I'll be down more.
Lot of irons in the fire right now.
Looking forward to a great year!
Talk to ya soon.

Glen

Are you using Lapua or Bergers out that far? Nice shooting, can't wait to get out there to try it.

Topstrap

I dont know what he was using but i do know that even the shots that did not hit the plate would make you very uncomfortable at best if you were in the vicinity of the plate.Van also changed my mind on just how accurate an ar platform can be at long range.I had fun.The wheels are turnin.

TopStrap,

If your aking me..I shoot a SMK 142 @ 2878 FPS, 8 twist Krieger barrel 29" suppressed. Approx 75 MOA and 5 moa of wind yesterday at ONE MILE. Lots of fun hope you get out to shoot with us soon.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many use Hornady.
Name your cal.
1200 and under.
More attention to bc.
TC.
</div></div>

I believe the "cal" he is talking about is Toms 260, in which case is most likely using the 142 SMK's.

Sorry Tom. I was typing while you were sending. Looking forward to the next match.

here are pics from sundays shoot guys it was fun, did a little 4 wheelin while we were at it too. lol !!!

P3072768.jpg

P3072789.jpg

and some more pics morte of you guys should have shown up it was a beautiful day to be at thunder valley.

P3072784.jpg

P3072783.jpg