• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

twist question...

Judd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
DFW
So I have a 22-250 that a buddy is interested in buy but wants to know the twist. How can I check it without putting a marked rod in it? It is a Savage model 10 w/ supposedly either a 1:9 or 1:14.

Thanks...I ask because I doing really want to mark up a cleaning rod if I can keep from it.

Re: twist question...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Judd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I have a 22-250 that a buddy is interested in buy but wants to know the twist. How can I check it without putting a marked rod in it? It is a Savage model 10 w/ supposedly either a 1:9 or 1:14.

Thanks...I ask because I doing really want to mark up a cleaning rod if I can keep from it. </div></div>

Neither, I would say the majority, if not all, Savage 22-250's are 1 in 12. Check their website and you'll see their advertised "Rate of Twist" is 12 for all 22-250 chambered rifles. Take it with a grain of salt though as, you may have an older model w/a slower or faster twist?

AvsFan
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just put a piece of tape on your clening rod . </div></div>

^ not very helpful...

Sorry, here is some more details;

1. insert cleaning rod with snug fitting patch into barrel.

2. Place a piece of tape on the rod, fold the piece of tape so it makes a little flag.

3. push cleaning rod further into the rifle until the tape flag makes a complete revolution.

4.Measure how far the tape traveled until the flag does one complete revolution. This should give you the twist rate. Repeat it a few times just to make sure nothing slipped.

Hope this helps.

I knew what you were saying Sandbogg...I'll check it out that way and won't have to mark up my cleaning rod. Honestly, I almost feel stupid I didn't think about tape and was going to mark up my cleaning rod
wink.gif

Tape is the best... cheap trick. I push the cleaning rod in and put the tape flag at the end of the receiver. When it turns a full twist i measure really quick and done... however all the new rods I have came with the little dot by the handle...