• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Twist rate for 110 gr 308?

JimT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2004
Sterling, AK
1 in 12? 1 in 14? Got a bunch of 110 gr Hornady TAP available. The faster twist barrels don't like it much. They are much happier with the 168 gr.

Re: Twist rate for 110 gr 308?

1:17 & 1:18 are the twist rates used for 115 to 125 grain bullets in the 30BR. If you are not going above this either will work great. If you are not going to shoot anything heavier than the 110 I would go with the 1:18. I use a 1:17 Krieger on my 30BR. I have been very happy with it.

Hmm, I have run the factory 110 TAP as well as handloads with the 110vmax and had excellent results in a standard factory remington twist. Are you getting fragments or tearing the bullet up? A buddies .300 win mag with a 1:10 becomes a .30 shotgun when he pushed the bullet to max spped.

The groups aren't as tight with the factory bbl shooting the 110 vs the 168.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The groups aren't as tight with the factory bbl shooting the 110 vs the 168. </div></div>

It's probably just spinning it a little too fast. What are you doing with it that you want to rebarrel for some ammo on your shelf? I've found the 110 Vmax from a 30-06 can take anything a 26" 1:10 twist can dish out, groups are a little larger than normal, but it's only being used for popping water filled objects such as milk jugs, fruit, groundhogs, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The groups aren't as tight with the factory bbl shooting the 110 vs the 168. </div></div>

It's probably just spinning it a little too fast. What are you doing with it that you want to rebarrel for some ammo on your shelf? I've found the 110 Vmax from a 30-06 can take anything a 26" 1:10 twist can dish out, groups are a little larger than normal, but it's only being used for popping water filled objects such as milk jugs, fruit, groundhogs, etc. </div></div>

In a factory Winchester 30-06, even without the recommended accuracy powder, I get around 1.0" with Sierra 110 HPs. It is uber fun to shoot in that light rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The groups aren't as tight with the factory bbl shooting the 110 vs the 168. </div></div>

It's probably just spinning it a little too fast. What are you doing with it that you want to rebarrel for some ammo on your shelf? I've found the 110 Vmax from a 30-06 can take anything a 26" 1:10 twist can dish out, groups are a little larger than normal, but it's only being used for popping water filled objects such as milk jugs, fruit, groundhogs, etc. </div></div>

In a factory Winchester 30-06, even without the recommended accuracy powder, I get around 1.0" with Sierra 110 HPs. It is uber fun to shoot in that light rifle. </div></div>

I can imagine, I tried shooting some FMJ 85gr pistol bullets for a light recoil high velocity round. I couldn't get them to last to a 25y board. Slowing them down to 2600 fps for "survival" reasons was rather pointless. The 110's were much more fun at 3650 ish. The 22-250 has nothing on that at close range. My groups were around 1" as well, but I didn't particularly care. It was good for shooting ground hogs, water bottles and fruit, I was happy.