• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing twist rate for a 450 bushmaster

Adam B

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 7, 2005
    grand rapids, michigan
    www.adamboynton.com
    They are about to legalize pistol caliber cartridges in the shotgun zone here in Michigan so I decided that I need to build a 450 bushmaster on a FN action for a whitetail deer gun. I have seen that the recommended twist rate for the barrel is 1 in 16 but the Bushmaster AR comes with a 1 in 24 twist. Has anyone here built a big bore like this and if so what twist would work the best with 250gr and larger bullets?

Re: twist rate for a 450 bushmaster

450 bushmaster is not a pistol caliber as I understand it.

I've worked with the same thing in a 44 caliber wildcat, you can throw a 460gr cast bullet stabilized in a 1:16t.

Be prepared to share the heavy bullet addiction, these things are tons of fun, if michigan ever becomes can compliant they're even more fun to play with.

I see 2 questions that need to be answered above.

1) Twist rate obviously
    2) How are you going to get the chamber cut?

Let's address #2 first.

You can take a barrel from an 450 Bushy AR and stuff it onto the nose of the FN action. You most likely will need the reamer to clean up things while the barrel is being headspaced to the action. This assumes the threads are the same, which I doubt.

So, you really need to chop the threads off and rechamber it. You need the reamer this way as well.

You're going to need to find a 'smith with one already (which is probably going to be very difficult since it's such a new, proprietary caliber). This probably means you're going to be on the phone with PTG or Clymer to get a reamer, or if your gunsmith is willing to do it, make a reamer himself.

This leads me back to #1

Since you need a reamer either way, and a barrel straight from Bushmaster is not likely to be cheap, I'd suggest a fast twist blank in the contour you want from someone like Adams and Bennett. They're cheap barrels, but for what this caliber is capable of and being used for, it's more than acceptable accuracy grade.

Get the faster twist barrel in a 1:16-1:20

I am going to get a Brux barrel and my smith is going to rent the reamer, I will probably just go with the 45 professional just to max out the case OAL

Follow the link in my sig. Tim LeGendre (known there as Wildcatter) will be happy to answer any questions he can.

When you say FN action are you talking bolt gun? If so there is a sub forum just for that.