• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Twist rate for new 223 barrel

marauderx33

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
Australia
Hello!

I currently have a Tikka T3 223 Rem in a KRG W3 chassis, fitted with a Bartlein 23" long heavy palma barrel with 1 in 7.5" twist, (reamer was 0.252" neck, 0.100" freebore), using MDT AICS 223 mags. I'm considering having my smith replace the barrel with a Proof Research carbon fibre barrel, 24" long, Sendero contour, to make the rifle a bit lighter and less front heavy. I'd like to shoot projectiles such as the 75gr or 80gr Hornady ELD-M or the 80.5gr Berger Fullbore. It seems either the 1 in 7" or 1 in 8" twist rate will work ok. Which twist rate would you recommend?

Thanks.

I would recommend a 1-8 twist for a Ar15 and a 1-7 twist for a bolt action rifle.

I would recommend either one. If you asked for one and they gave you the other, you would never know the difference. So whats the point in agonizing over it? Which sounds cooler to you? :LOL: