• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two 700 5R questions: using 5.56 and bolt upgrades

Skyyr

Aviator
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
TN
I've got a 700 5R in .223 and have two questions:

1) Does anyone run 5.56 NATO through their 5R's? Or rather, is it safe?
2) I'm looking to upgrade my bolt (specifically the bolt knob), but I want to keep the original factory bolt in stock condition in the event I go to resell it later. What are my options for a .223 700 bolt that will work with most tactical/large-knob bolt handles?

Thanks!

Yes it is safe....and send the bolt to LRI. They are running a group buy right now on bolt work. Got mine back for my 5R a couple weeks ago and looks great.

Why not install a KRG bolt lift? No need to make any permanent changes if you go that route.

Yes it is safe....and send the bolt to LRI. They are running a group buy right now on bolt work. Got mine back for my 5R a couple weeks ago and looks great.

I'm not trying to be a dick/know it all, but isn't 5.56 hotter than .223, and it is not considered safe to shoot in a .223 chamber due to the higher pressure created? I believe this is a no-go. .223 in a 5.56 chamber is fine. Please correct me if I am wrong on this. Thanks.

Lets see that bolt! I sent my 700 5R bolt in last week and am waiting for it come back. Went with their tac knob install, heavy helix fluting and bead blast finish.