• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing two finished projects

MikeeBooshay

Recoil Sponge
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Houston TX and Hackberry LA
Okay after lots of stop start and delays, I'd like to share a couple projects I finished. The first was mainly done by Lex at Rifles Inc in Pleasanton. It's a 308, started life as a cutdown 243 for the kids long ago. Well, I was planning a trip to Aussie land to shoot kangaroos and started by getting some HR DMB for reloading on the fly, as the old BLD stuff wasn't made for that. Well, as most projects go this one got out of hand and we decided to make it a 308 instead with a 1-10 Lilja, as I wanted to be able to shoot heavies in it. Then we added a Rifles Inc stock, did the whole mountain rifle slim down thing and got this beauty. 7.2 pounds as shown with scope and stock pack. If i find the right simple 10x scope, I am putting that on it. That ought to get it in around 6 1/2 pounds. Lex did the paint job and it looks better than the pics do.
IMG_1165.jpg

Check out the detail work on the bolt:
IMG_1167.jpg

NExt up is a rifle built mostly from components from the Hide classifieds. Surgeon 591 action, Lilja 3 groove 1/8 barrel, AICS. The more I shoot the AICS the more I like it. Thanks very much to Stephen at Surgeon for a little help on the final barrel tightening. My good friend Gene, a very good BR guy helped with the chambering. His jig and method was very simple but it was in zero zero at both ends in less than 15 minutes.

IMG_1152.jpg

The completed rifle

IMG_1163.jpg

With a simple crown. "Gene has several world championships and says Mikee, keep it simple. You can't usually mess up simple."

IMG_1164.jpg

Both these guys are great. I appreciate very much the things I have learned from them. After hunting season is over I may coat the 243, but for now it's going to get shot.

The rifles both shoot great. I really REALLY like the 243. The 115 pills are like shooting my 300, without all the magnum baggage. I just got some better glass on the way for it can't wait to try it out. I should be at the ranch tonight but work kept me in town too long didn't feel like the drive tonight. Loading up tonight to get out early tomorrow and chase critters.

Re: two finished projects

LOL Shooting Roo's would be fun. I looked into it while I was in Iraq as a Vacation option but there were some legal reasons I could not head down and do it.

Very nice sticks. The boltwork on the 308 looks nice