• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two legs that work

CValero

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2024
Clifton, Texas
Hello everyone my name is Cheryle. I am new to this forum. I was hoping to get a link or some advice concerning ‘bipods’ and mounting one for my Bergara B14… I don’t like the ones that adjust with tightening rings but rather the ones that are notched. And for mounting, if I understand correctly a rail can be mounted underneath as oppose to screw mounts only.., any ideas?

Welcome to the hide.
This works if you are willing to drill some holes.

IMG_9998.jpeg

Reactions: Balor
it seems that I'd need a rail (at least 4" long) that will center between both post that are 3" apart... but then, where would I attach my sling.

Attachments

• frontmount.jpg
    frontmount.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 37
it seems that I'd need a rail (at least 4" long) that will center between both post that are 3" apart... but then, where would I attach my sling.
Use the front hole as your base, drill a second for rail and leave the second stud for a sling. You don’t need that much railestate for bipods

Use the front hole as your base, drill a second for rail and leave the second stud for a sling. You don’t need that much railestate for bipods
Yup, LOL. I'm not too good with power tools and don't want to make any mistakes. I'll guess I'll find some gunsmith out of Waco to install it for me once I find a good notched bipod from Harris or Atlas. Thanks for your help!!!

Yup, LOL. I'm not too good with power tools and don't want to make any mistakes. I'll guess I'll find some gunsmith out of Waco to install it for me once I find a good notched bipod from Harris or Atlas. Thanks for your help!!!
Going to a gunsmith is a good idea. Many of us are not handy with tools. As for me, breaking stuff with hand tools is my super power lol). Just drilling a hole isn't all of it. Your sling studs have a captive fastener on the inside of the barrel channel...possibly (probably) covered by material. A new hole should also have a captive fastener inside and epoxied in place. Simple job for a gunsmith.

if going to a gunsmith, look at something like this from Seekins who make high qual stuff:

1. This is their Universal mount. Use the front sling stud location for the hole and have another drilled and fastener installed for the slot.
1707779008621.png

https://seekinsprecision.com/ubm.html

2. Their SRS rail
1707779148040.png

I put the SRS rail on a Rem 700 in an HS Precision stock. They make these to fit HS, Bell and Carlson, and McMillian fiberglass stocks. It will be too short to match up with your sling studs, but again...if going to a gunsmith then a new fastener/screw position is easily done. For me, this got rid of the rear sling stud but provides a sling mounting hole in the back. Worked wonderfully (and yes, I installed it myself and managed to not break anything! haha). If you went with this, you wouldn't need the rear sling stud and you can have it removed and plugged up by the smith.

Note, I'm not one of the gunsmithing experts here and others may correct any inaccuracy or bad advice I've provided.

Best of luck and welcome to the Hide...the rudest rifle forum on the net! hahaha

P.S. these Seekins items can be found from other retail sources other than Seekins if out of stock. Amazon, Midway, etc. Just make Google your friend....or, your gunsmith may have other brands/sources that they prefer.

Cheers

there are options to use the sling mount to attach a rail section, without losing the sling mount.

there are also rail sections that include a cup for a sling attachment.

The SRS Rail that Baron23 mentioned will fit without any stock modifications.
You remove the two sling swivel studs and use screws to mount the rail, the holes between the stock
and the rail match. I have used this setup.

1707781368626.png

I'd advise to take a step back from all the above.

Harris is $100-120 out the door. Atlas is $300-ish, plus it needs pic rail install...and atlas its harder to adjust.

@CValero - read below, its a VERY easy answer to your issue

You remove the two sling swivel studs and use screws to mount the rail, the holes between the stock

View attachment 8347765

Scheisse, I saw where she said she needed 4" but missed the part where she said it was 3" center to center of the studs. Yeah, ADD strikes again (and its really embarrassing when you are 71! haha).

So, yes...the McMillian version is indeed 3" center to center and would work perfectly for her and fageddaboud the gunsmith! haha The HS and B&C ones are shorter.

Here are some sites showing in stock of this item

Oh, and I personally think a Harris on a sling stud sucks...had one, won't do that again. Others may differ. If you want to go with a Harris, then get their pic rail adapter...well, IMO

Reactions: Balor
Oh, and I personally think a Harris on a sling stud sucks...had one, won't do that again.
Yea in terms of Harris' looks...LOL yeah about as 'modern' as crocodile smile
My main issue with Atlas is the difficulty to adjust the legs...

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
Yea in terms of Harris' looks...LOL yeah about as 'modern' as crocodile smile
My main issue with Atlas is the difficulty to adjust the legs...
Oh, they aren't bad...they can be made to work. But on a sling stud it kept loosing up and the one I had did not have notched legs. Hit the button and out to the end they go. Trying to tighten the lock screw on the legs in an incremental position just didn't work...one or the other would slide during shooting session.

I don't find adjusting legs on the Atlas to be a problem...now, an Elite Iron...there are some unfriendly legs. LOL

I gather your Harris had notched legs and the legs are spring loaded?

And a Harris on a pic adapter may well be exactly what this gal needs. Not too much money and I gather she's a beginner so $300 for a bipod plus another $35-40 for a piece of pic rail to mount to may be too much for her at this stage.

Thanks for the reply and cheers.

I have Atlas of some sort. It's ok for what it is but way over priced, in my opinion. I have a whole pile of Harris bipods. One of the things I like about the Harris is the ability to just pull the legs back into position, you can deploy both at the same time. I even have a piece of 550 cord on a couple of them just for that purpose. No need to push a button detent just to pull one leg into position (then the other). I've never minded using the slingstud version either as that was what I cut my teeth on, I do add a piece of tool box floor rubber before cinching it down. Lots of bullets have been sent with great accuracy from those bipods all around the earth.

Hello everyone my name is Cheryle. I am new to this forum. I was hoping to get a link or some advice concerning ‘bipods’ and mounting one for my Bergara B14… I don’t like the ones that adjust with tightening rings but rather the ones that are notched. And for mounting, if I understand correctly a rail can be mounted underneath as oppose to screw mounts only.., any ideas?
You might get more "focused" information if you provide more information about your use case for your rifle and attachments. Hunting? Range play? Competition? Some combination or plan? How many rounds do you expect to shoot in a year's time?

Be aware that you're posting in a community where anything less than about $3000-3500 for a rifle and optic is regarded as barely usable and unworthy of serious consideration, and twice that figure is commonplace. Many here are buying powder by multiple 8-pound jugs and bullets a few thousand at a time.

So, providing a little more info about your use case may get you a more targeted response. Hope this helps.

Going to a gunsmith is a good idea. Many of us are not handy with tools. As for me, breaking stuff with hand tools is my super power lol). Just drilling a hole isn't all of it. Your sling studs have a captive fastener on the inside of the barrel channel...possibly (probably) covered by material. A new hole should also have a captive fastener inside and epoxied in place. Simple job for a gunsmith.

if going to a gunsmith, look at something like this from Seekins who make high qual stuff:

1. This is their Universal mount. Use the front sling stud location for the hole and have another drilled and fastener installed for the slot.
View attachment 8347727

2. Their SRS rail
View attachment 8347728

I put the SRS rail on a Rem 700 in an HS Precision stock. They make these to fit HS, Bell and Carlson, and McMillian fiberglass stocks. It will be too short to match up with your sling studs, but again...if going to a gunsmith then a new fastener/screw position is easily done. For me, this got rid of the rear sling stud but provides a sling mounting hole in the back. Worked wonderfully (and yes, I installed it myself and managed to not break anything! haha). If you went with this, you wouldn't need the rear sling stud and you can have it removed and plugged up by the smith.

Note, I'm not one of the gunsmithing experts here and others may correct any inaccuracy or bad advice I've provided.

Best of luck and welcome to the Hide...the rudest rifle forum on the net! hahaha

P.S. these Seekins items can be found from other retail sources other than Seekins if out of stock. Amazon, Midway, etc. Just make Google your friend....or, your gunsmith may have other brands/sources that they prefer.

Cheers
I am so grateful for your advice and time. I am just a beginner, my new Bergara is my first long range rifle and I am excited to start customization. I like the idea of the single hole with the adjacent slotted hole on picatinny rail for the bipod mount.
I guess I was putting the 'horse before the cart' my first move should probably be to find a suitable 'Harris or Atlas' bipod (something with all the swings and tilts) and then pick a rail from the manufacture ('seekinsprecision.com') you provided.

I am so grateful for your advice and time. I am just a beginner, my new Bergara is my first long range rifle and I am excited to start customization. I like the idea of the single hole with the adjacent slotted hole on picatinny rail for the bipod mount.
I guess I was putting the 'horse before the cart' my first move should probably be to find a suitable 'Harris or Atlas' bipod (something with all the swings and tilts) and then pick a rail from the manufacture ('seekinsprecision.com') you provided.
Any questions, ask before you buy. Most here would be happy to help.

If you get the Seekins “McMillian 3” center to center then all you have to do is put a small punch or similar in the sling stud hole and unscrew it (counter clockwise, right :cool: ). The rail will come with screws that will go right into the active fasteners already there for the sling studs.

And I do recommend going with a pic rail interface even if you go with the Harris. As I listed above, there are adapters for Harris for this. My view is that this is a far more solid way to mount a Harris than a stud. If you go with another brand bipod, like an Atlas, you can buy them with the pic rail clamp already part of the bipod assembly.

Best of luck

Last edited:

View attachment 8347765
Yes, that seems perfect. The swivel studs are 3" apart, and the slotted hole should compensate for any variation in length of the rail. I noticed in the picture the also rail has a horizontal hole to accommodate a sling.

I saw what you did there...

If I'm not running an ARCA rail, I like the B & T Pic Rails as they have a flush cup for sling attachment machined into the rail.

Cheryl, it’s easier than some make it out to be. I’ve done it many times using bipod rails from accu-shot. Kasey is also a respected vendor here. Here’s the rail you can use that will bolt right up to your existing stud locations and still allows for using your sling:

1707863023516.png

It’s as easy as removing the bipod studs and using those same holes to bolt in the rail. You will need some machine screws to do it, but if you call accu-shot before ordering and tell them your application, I’m sure they can supply you with the direct bolts/machine screws.

Oh, and welcome to SH.

ETA: I see that the same info was posted a minute before I did. 👍🏻

I saw what you did there...

If I'm not running an ARCA rail, I like the B & T Pic Rails as they have a flush cup for sling attachment machined into the rail.

Someone caught it. Good eyes

I'd advise to take a step back from all the above.

Harris is $100-120 out the door. Atlas is $300-ish, plus it needs pic rail install...and atlas its harder to adjust.
Well, from what I've researched so far, I would prefer the picatinny rail as long as I can mount a notched bipod, the type with springs..., don't mind spending $300 plus as long as it works well.

Summarizing and this is just my take on it:

1. Harris or Atlas bipod

2. If Harris, then get a pic rail adapter for it: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=picatinny+rail+adapter+for+harris+bipod

3. If Atlas, one one with the pic clamp already included

4. Get a piece of pic rail with 3” holes on center. I absolutely like the Seekins SRS for McMillian as it’s made for 3” hole spacing and has a sling attachment point

5.i have zero idea why some are recommending a pic rail with a flush cup hole. You have a Bergara. It has a sling stud on the back, NOT a flush cup for QD sling attachment. The idea of getting a sling with QD on one end and a regular sling stud type hdwr on the other is, IMO, nonsensical.

And yes…I do tend to think highly of my opinion on things! Hahaha

As a beginner, you may find the SH Online Training to be very worthwhile. You can subscribe to it as long as it's useful; for me, that was maybe four months. To subscribe:
  1. Click on your screen name in the upper right of the window
    (I access SH via a laptop computer; a mobile browser may be a bit different)
  2. Click on Account Upgrades
  3. Select Purchase on whatever level you choose
  4. Follow instructions
One other thing... be careful with @Baron23 . He used to be a skeet shooter. They tend to have a lot of stories to tell... ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23 and lash
Summarizing and this is just my take on it:

1. Harris or Atlas bipod

2. If Harris, then get a pic rail adapter for it: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=picatinny+rail+adapter+for+harris+bipod

3. If Atlas, one one with the pic clamp already included

4. Get a piece of pic rail with 3” holes on center. I absolutely like the Seekins SRS for McMillian as it’s made for 3” hole spacing and has a sling attachment point

5.i have zero idea why some are recommending a pic rail with a flush cup hole. You have a Bergara. It has a sling stud on the back, NOT a flush cup for QD sling attachment. The idea of getting a sling with QD on one end and a regular sling stud type hdwr on the other is, IMO, nonsensical.

And yes…I do tend to think highly of my opinion on things! Hahaha
As is usually the case @Baron23 , there’s more than one good way to skin a cat.

You might get more "focused" information if you provide more information about your use case for your rifle and attachments. Hunting? Range play? Competition? Some combination or plan? How many rounds do you expect to shoot in a year's time?

Be aware that you're posting in a community where anything less than about $3000-3500 for a rifle and optic is regarded as barely usable and unworthy of serious consideration, and twice that figure is commonplace. Many here are buying powder by multiple 8-pound jugs and bullets a few thousand at a time.

So, providing a little more info about your use case may get you a more targeted response. Hope this helps.
Fair enough, and yes I am a shooter and go to the range often (Just new at 'long range' shooting) however, I do own two Arsenal AK's rifles, a Lever action as well as several hand guns and went through several thousand rounds just this last year. You can't call yourself a Texan if you don't have at least 3,000 rounds in your gun safe.
When I fired my friends Rem 700 r5 2nd Gen rifle for the first time, I fell in love. Trust me I do plan on getting specific but for now, I just want to hit a target at long range..., will figure out the rest later. Thanks for the heads up!

As a beginner, you may find the SH Online Training to be very worthwhile. You can subscribe to it as long as it's useful; for me, that was maybe four months. To subscribe:
  1. Click on your screen name in the upper right of the window
    (I access SH via a laptop computer; a mobile browser may be a bit different)
  2. Click on Account Upgrades
  3. Select Purchase on whatever level you choose
  4. Follow instructions
One other thing... be careful with @Baron23 . He used to be a skeet shooter. They tend to have a lot of stories to tell... ;-)
LOL, That's just capital!

Cheryl, it’s easier than some make it out to be. I’ve done it many times using bipod rails from accu-shot. Kasey is also a respected vendor here. Here’s the rail you can use that will bolt right up to your existing stud locations and still allows for using your sling:

View attachment 8348492

It’s as easy as removing the bipod studs and using those same holes to bolt in the rail. You will need some machine screws to do it, but if you call accu-shot before ordering and tell them your application, I’m sure they can supply you with the direct bolts/machine screws.

Oh, and welcome to SH.

ETA: I see that the same info was posted a minute before I did. 👍🏻
I think I like this the best, just not sure if the 'swivel' hardware for the sling comes with the rail. I'll find their number and give them a call. Thanks!

I think I like this the best, just not sure if the 'swivel' hardware for the sling comes with the rail. I'll find their number and give them a call. Thanks!
If you mean the swivel for your sling, then you would be correct, as was Baron23 to a point. You would need this in addition, for your current sling. I don’t want to mislead you.

Dang, Amazon has made it hard to copy their pictures.

1707869436969.png

As much as I've enjoyed rifle competition for the last six years, as much as I've learned, the people I've met... it can't hold a candle to the stories and the characters of four decades of skeet....

Cheryl, my Texas skeet story involves being invited to shoot at the Dallas Gun Club back in the mid-'90s.... I remember being served lunch by staff in white livery, the fields were manicured like putting greens... and there was indeed a Cadillac in the parking lot with longhorns mounted on the hood...

• Love
Reactions: BLEE
As much as I've enjoyed rifle competition for the last six years, as much as I've learned, the people I've met... it can't hold a candle to the stories and the characters of four decades of skeet....

Cheryl, my Texas skeet story involves being invited to shoot at the Dallas Gun Club back in the mid-'90s.... I remember being served lunch by staff in white livery, the fields were manicured like putting greens... and there was indeed a Cadillac in the parking lot with longhorns mounted on the hood...
Lots of fun and incredible characters in skeet. And Dallas gun club...been there. Incredible. I'm guessing you were in the clubhouse? Did you go into the locker rooms there? And the fields...there are none better in the country. All you need is lots of $$ and some good connections. haha

So, am I off base about flush cups/QD hdwr not being optimal for Cheryl's gun? Her Bergara has sling studs forward and back. If she went with a pic rail with a cup for QD hdwr, then she would def have to go to a gunsmith to have a flush cup installed in the butt stock. Or, have a very weird sling with different type of hdwr at each end.

If she stays with a piece of pic rail like the Seekins SRS, then it fits her forearm hole pattern, has a bit of a slot to allow for some fuckupedness in hole placement by Bergara, and she can use a sling that has regular sling swivel hardware.

I was def not taking any shots at anyone's recommendations to Cheryl in the thread above, but I don't understand how a flush cup up front would work well for what she has.

Cheers

I saw your posts.

So, say she puts that BT pic rail you posted with the flush cup, what does she do in the butt stock that currently has a sling stud?
She uses her existing sling that attaches to two studs, front and back. That’s what the flush cup to sling stud adapter is for. It goes in the front on the rail. What are you missing? Pictures above say it all.

Here it is again:

1707919898438.png

Sling stud adapter goes into the flush cup instead of the sling with QC already on it. Now she has a sling stud that’s there all the time.

She uses her existing sling that attaches to two studs, front and back. That’s what the flush cup to sling stud adapter is for. It goes in the front on the rail. What are you missing? Pictures above say it all.

Here it is again:

View attachment 8348907

Sling stud adapter goes into the flush cup instead of the sling with QC already on it. Now she has a sling stud that’s there all the time.
What I’m missing is why the heck she would want to put an adapter in the middle just to use QD hdwr.

What’s the advantage to her of QD to justify putting an adapter inline vs just using a pic rail with attachment point for a regular sling swivel?

Cheers

What I’m missing is why the heck she would want to put an adapter in the middle just to use QD hdwr.

What’s the advantage to her of QD to justify putting an adapter inline vs just using a pic rail with attachment point for a regular sling swivel?

Cheers
‘Cause options. But like I said above, each to their own.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Reactions: lash

View attachment 8347727

2. Their SRS rail
View attachment 8347728

Cheers
Just FYI..., I did end up buying the 'Seekins' SRS Bipod Picatinney Rail w/the 3" spacing as well as the Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR Bipod at the Standard height with ADM-170-S Lever. Even got a military discount and free shipping. You guys are great!

Reactions: Baron23 and lash
Just FYI..., I did end up buying the 'Seekins' SRS Bipod Picatinney Rail w/the 3" spacing as well as the Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR Bipod at the Standard height with ADM-170-S Lever. Even got a military discount and free shipping. You guys are great!