• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing two-month storage in the garage

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
Not sure if this has been specifically covered or not, but is it ok to put some sort of grease in the barrel for storage of about two to three months? I rotate in and out of OCONUS for short periods and only store all my guns in a safe in the garage. It never really gets below 45 degrees in my garage since its attached to the house.

I keep a heating rod and a re-chargeable moisture soaking device hanging on the inside. Beyond that, I just put a light coat of oil on the inside but by the time I get back, the oil has run from keeping it stored on the butt. Not sure if that's leaving the end of the barrel exposed or not. I also angle them back so I don't think the oil gets in the trigger or stock.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a "thicker" substance like grease that won't run or if that's even necessary.

Re: two-month storage in the garage

Have you ever seen what a mud-dauber wasps will do to a barrel? It isn't pretty. Grease is usually sufficient, but cover or contain it somehow, too.

I have the same set up and always wondered about this as well. My garage gets into high 20s sometimes. In four yrs I've never had a problem.

I have a date that sits in an area that sees temps from -25* to 100* I always kept a 100 watt light on inside to keep temps up in the winter. I noticed the cord was unplugged one day....I learned that it had been unplugged for several months. I was petrefied to open the door. Not a speck on any of them. My humidity rarely exceeds 30%....I would not worry in my area.

I live in WA state on the rainy side. So it doesn't ever get "Minnesota" cold, but it can get wet. With the car being pulled in after being in the rain, I was always concerned, but the little Remington dehumidifier seems to work pretty well for whatever moisture gets past the safe door.

I like the idea of putting a light bulb to help though.

Too bad you have to smuggle the 100 watt bulbs in as contraband now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever seen what a mud-dauber wasps will do to a barrel? It isn't pretty. Grease is usually sufficient, but cover or contain it somehow, too. </div></div>
put a condom on it
laugh.gif

Put a coating of Eezox in there and store it muzzle down. Solves the rust problem (if it exists) and the oil in the trigger at the same time. Dry coating and doesn't run. JMHO

Although it means storing it with the crown on the floor of the safe, I prefer to store rifles with oil in them muzzle down. After years of letting the oil run down during extended storage, it does soak into wood stocked rifles and oil isn't that good for the wood or finish.

I don't own that many rifles with fine wood stocks, but shotguns.... got plenty of those. Those get a very light oily rag rubdown, and stored in the safe with a Goldenrod. So far, no issues ( safe is also in the garage, in TX ). Bores are cleaned clean, but no oil.

FWIW, just started doing some BR type shooting - those guys NEVER oil a bore, their experience is that it takes 40+ rounds to recover BR type accuracy after oiling a rifle bore. Not sure we would notice it on our stuff.

The only time I have shown rust was on the crown of a muzzle down rifle that was sitting on the carpet floor of my safe......I would make sure you coat every rifle muzzle if you have to stand them on the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put a coating of Eezox in there and store it muzzle down. Solves the rust problem (if it exists) and the oil in the trigger at the same time. Dry coating and doesn't run. JMHO </div></div>

Good advice here. Eezox is a great rust preventative.

Didn't think of the wood stock issue. The only wood stocks I have are my M1 Garand and Stevens 416 .22. None particularly I would call fine wood, but worth caring for. All the rest are AR or synthetic stocks.

Guns are easier to protect than large castings, like a table saw, a mill, or a lathe. When the temperature rises quickly at 100% humidity, there is condensation on large metal objects. I drape an old sheet over these to reduce circulation.

Rubbing motor oil on with a tooth brush can sometimes only protect for a couple months. The vapor pressure for motor oil may be 200 times less than water, but it is there. Cosmoline has a much lower vapor pressure.

Being in a garage with a wall in common with the house will leak enough heat to keep the garage a few degrees above ambient. 50 years can go by without any rust on small objects like a gun or a hammer. But put a hammer in a dirt floor separate building, and it will get rusty in one night.

Before my last deployment i coated all of the metal parts of my firearms with ballistol. Spray it on and let it dry. The firearms stayed in my safe for 8 months without being touched. When I returned I just wiped off the film of ballistol and carried on. No rust whatsoever.

The guns were stored in a safe in my garage. I live in south Louisiana where humidity is a huge issue.

When I was stationed in Norfolk, Va, I had what I considered a very nice deer rifle for a 20yo. It was a Weatherby Vanguard in .270. I did not want to take it on the base and store it, so I rented a storage shed nearby. I gave all the metal a good wiping with, I believe, Sheath and stored it in a cloth carry case. For some reason, over 2 winters and one really miserable summer, I had no rust.

I coated all of the metal on my guns with Break Free Collector heavily including the bores prior to my last trip to Iraq. I was gone for 14 months with the guns in a safe and I had zero rust.

IMO, the key is relatively little rapid temp change...it can be hot or cold, just not go from one to the other rapidly and no super high humidity (like standing water, damp basement, exposed to rain, etc.

I would not store anything long term in a cloth case.

Dont forget to remove all of your batteries...ask me how I know
mad.gif

Fluid Film (or corrosionX) on a patch run through the barrel and the same treatment on the outside. Regardless of what you use, make dam sure to get it out before firing.
I bought a case of Fluid Film on ebay years ago and use it on my lathe, drill press, cylinder heads, all kinds of stuff in my shop. It doesn't "go away" and easy to clean off for use. Zero rust on my equipment sitting in an open shop with 95% humidity sometimes and 80% is about the norm. 60% humidity is a dry day where I live in Louisiana. I firmly believe your guns could go a decade in storage with no ill effects using this. 2 months will be a piece of cake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been using Rig Universal Gun Grease for going on nearly half a century now. No chore to remove. </div></div>

My dad has been using RIG for just as long and I use it as well. We have never gotten speck of rust wherever we put that stuff. The old formula was a tad different than what is in stores now, but it works just the same. I think the little plastic jar my dad has is about 20 years old. A light dab on an old cut up t-shirt of RIG and a wipe down is all the gun needs.

Marvel Mystery oil was mentioned as well. The mystery to that stuff is what makes is smell like mint. It works for just about everything, engines or otherwise. I've gotten small engines that wouldn't break free one bit to running like new with that magic elixir.

I wipe all of mine down with a silicone cloth then put them in a silicone sock.Heating stick in my safe. I have kept them in my safe for over a year at a time with out bringing them out. Never had a problem with rust.

My safe is in my Garage there in TX and I am out of the US 3-5 months at a time. No issues so far and the only thing I have in my safe is a golden rod. Safe is something like 3'x5'x6.5'. I tried desiccants but the rod seems to work better. I do spray some Sheath or whatever the hell its called on them the day before I leave. and have my wife look in on them now and then.

I've been using Ray's gun wax for thirty years absolutely love it best stuff ever used.Ray made it years ago gone now tote some one else how too make it. thank god, only two places to get it.