• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Two new rifles need two new scopes

opherman47

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2021
Utah
I bought a Tikka T3x lite in .308 and a vanguard talon in .30-06. I live in Utah and plan on hunting in Alaska and other places.

I can't decide between a vortex strike eagle the FFP that came out this year that is 3-18. Or the lht 4.5-22. The people on vortex customer service chat had suggested I get the lht in sfp 3-15. But I have never shot a second focal plane scope before.

I do think 3-15 should be plenty for those calibers. But since I don't have a lot of experience with gear I am stumped. I currently have 2 Christiansen MPR's in 6.5 CM and 300 WM with two nx8 4-32's. I have not done any hunting out west so don't have a clue.

Thanks in advance for any advice. My primary shooting experience has been in the Army with a red dot and iron sights.

Last edited:
The Razor LHT is a MUCH better scope than the Strike Eagle.

Also, SFP is Second Focal Plane, not "Single Focal Plane". It means the reticle stays the same size throughout the magnification range, and only the image behind it gets bigger or smaller. FFP is much more accurate for using your scope for ranging your targets.

Sure I just wish they had it in 3-18 ffp
There are only about 60 companies making an ffp optic in 3-18. They may not replace it if you burn your house down, but you also won't have a damn good chance that you'll have to send it in for warranty claims right out of the gate.

You won't hardly notice any difference in a 3x vs 4.5x on the bottom end. But that extra magnification on top can be beneficial.
I wonder why the guys at vortex were really keen on the second focal plane versus the 4.5 LHT?

Like I don't think I'll be shooting too too far when it comes to hunting. What do you think?

No way would I trust a strike Eagle or any other chinesium optic on a hunting rifle. LHT is a better optic but the 4.5-22 has a pretty narrow FOV IMO. I liked mine a lot for what it was but I probably wouldn’t buy another.

There are only about 60 companies making an ffp optic in 3-18. They may not replace it if you burn your house down, but you also won't have a damn good chance that you'll have to send it in for warranty claims right out of the gate.
Do you have anything you recommend It seems like a mixed bag on the web. With a lot of The discussion more focused on the large magnification scopes. I almost feel like the perfect scope for me would be a 3x18x56 with a 34 tube ffp with a Christmas Tree reticle.

I wonder why the guys at vortex were really keen on the second focal plane versus the 4.5 LHT?

Like I don't think I'll be shooting too too far when it comes to hunting. What do you think?

Then there’s no reason to go FFP. Get a SFP scope that you can actually see the reticle on the low end. The Swaro’s with a BRH reticle are awesome hunting scopes. It’s a SFP mil tree reticle.

Do you have anything you recommend It seems like a mixed bag on the web. With a lot of The discussion more focused on the large magnification scopes. I almost feel like the perfect scope for me would be a 3x18x56 with a 34 tube ffp with a Christmas Tree reticle.

The burris xtrIII is pretty impressive for the money. Trijicon makes a good one, sig, leuopold, the usual suspects.

Reactions: Eric_F
No way would I trust a strike Eagle or any other chinesium optic on a hunting rifle. LHT is a better optic but the 4.5-22 has a pretty narrow FOV IMO. I liked mine a lot for what it was but I probably wouldn’t buy another.
Yeah that's my concern The field of view. I feel like my NX8 isn't as easy to look through although it is a nice scope but then again I don't have a whole lot to compare it to. If you were to buy a scope again for these type chamberings 308 or 3006. On a mid-priced rifle what would you get?

Yeah that's my concern The field of view. I feel like my NX8 isn't as easy to look through although it is a nice scope but then again I don't have a whole lot to compare it to. If you were to buy a scope again for these type chamberings 308 or 3006. On a mid-priced rifle what would you get?

If they’re straight up hunting rifles I’d get something with 2.5-3x on the bottom end and 9-12x on the top end. That’s all you need for hunting to the effective range of either of those chambering. There’s also no need for it to be FFP in those magnification ranges because any distance you’ll need to use the reticle for any more than a center crosshair aiming point you will or can be at max mag where the reticle is true anyway.

Reactions: opherman47
The burris xtrIII is pretty impressive for the money. Trijicon makes a good one, sig, leuopold, the usual suspects.
I looked at the trij 10 miler, It seemed a lot to spend versus what these rifles are worth, I really do like the Leupold magnification options but I don't like their reticles, I have no experience with sig I'll have to go check them out... Same with the Burris.

II don't want to get insane because these are backup hunting rifles or loaners. But I want glass that is at least up to the task for the rifle.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
I looked at the trij 10 miler, It seemed a lot to spend versus what these rifles are worth, I really do like the Leupold magnification options but I don't like their reticles, I have no experience with sig I'll have to go check them out... Same with the Burris.

II don't want to get insane because these are backup hunting rifles or loaners. But I want glass that is at least up to the task for the rifle.
The burris runs about $900. For what you're describing, it's a solid option..

What is your budget... One of the best 3-18 scopes on the market is the Kahles K318i or a ZCO 420, but they're also $3,300+... I'm running a K318i with the SKMR3 reticle on my main lightweight deer rifle.

What is your budget... One of the best 3-18 scopes on the market is the Kahles K318i or a ZCO 420, but they're also $3,300+... I'm running a K318i with the SKMR3 reticle on my main lightweight deer rifle.

Those are no doubt really great scopes but it just seems to exceed the requirements lol.. You know cost of quality type calculations. 😃

Using the BRX or BRH reticle and then using the Swarovski ballistics tool https://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/system/Settings , you can find a zoom level that will work so that the holdover lines mean yardages. So second line down is 200, third is 300, etc. You can get real close, depending on your round.

Or, and this is what I do, I determine an acceptable point blank zero. For my 280 Ackley, that is 275 yards. This gives me +3" at 175 yards and -3" at 325 yards. For the vast majority of deer hunting I do, that translates into not using a range finder.

Then, using the previously mentioned tool, I find out what the stadia lines represent in yardages at minimum zoom, at mid zoom and then at max zoom. I do go and verify that DOPE. Then I make a card that I laminate and tape to the stock. I can use the LRF, look at the card, change the zoom to what makes sense and hold on the target accordingly. It works great and takes no more time than dialing for elevation.

Plus my scope remains on zero, no need for a zero stop.

I have other scopes that I dial (NXS, ATACR, NX8, SHV, x5i...) but for a lightweight carry around deer hunting type rifle, this setup is my favorite.

Note that you can do a similar thing with a duplex type reticle with a second focal plane scope.

Also, the Zeiss ballistic tool will point you to the optimum zoom (where the stadia lines mean yardages) and then you can still do the same as above.

That's the wrong way to look at cost.

I have $3k scopes on $800 rifles.

I'm also confused on why you would go through the trouble of putting together rifles just to loan them out. If that's the case I'd put a 3-12 duplex on them.

That's the wrong way to look at cost.

I have $3k scopes on $800 rifles.

I'm also confused on why you would go through the trouble of putting together rifles just to loan them out. If that's the case I'd put a 3-12 duplex on them.
A good question. So I really think I can do any kind of hunting I would want to do between my currently owned 22lr, 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 300 win mag. The .30-06 and the .308 are rifles that are here in case we ever hit another ammo crunch, and I feel like owning readily available and produced cartridges is important. I also think based on reviews that the vanguard talon and the Tika T3X are more than adequate to likely hunting range of maximum 500. I think the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC are more modern cartridges, that if I went by specifications alone would have been my first choice, but I didn't go with those yet because the ammo just isn't as commonly found If ammo shortages ever becomes an issue again. I do plan on adding those two chamberings next in hunting rifles, as well as a 6.5 cm and a 6 mm from MPA to work on precision skills.

If I needed to I could buy a $10,000 scope or $20,000 one, I'm just not convinced that I would need that for hunting or the type of work I would be doing just like I think 1 MOA accuracy is plenty for hunting and general improvement in marksmanship.

Someone could commission an engineering team to design a perfect optic and spin up a lab to make a super scope for like a few million bucks. But at some point you just exceed what you need or the impact is Overkill for your needs.

I spent some money initially on two NX-8's the night force guys were all about them including the people I talk to at night force them including the people I talk to at night force. But now understanding more about my needs and being newer to hunting, I think most of my stuff is overkill actually.

I could be wrong... And I am definitely learning more. I think based on what I've seen and other reviews the burriss xIII is going to be a good cost for quality versus needs based on what I would do.

Do you think I really need to get a $3,000 scope? If so which would you recommend and why? Also the idea of hot swapping scopes all the time seems like a pain but maybe I should pick up at least two or three of those more expensive scopes.

I kind of think I'd rather spend the money on more ammo and travel to see my army buddy in Alaska and do some cast and blast adventures up there.

One of the challenges of the modern era is that manufacturing quality and design an engineering quality is at an unprecedented quality for what we need.

Would love to hear how you think about making these purchases I could maybe learn something.

A good question. So I really think I can do any kind of hunting I would want to do between my currently owned 22lr, 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 300 win mag. The .30-06 and the .308 are rifles that are here in case we ever hit another ammo crunch, and I feel like owning readily available and produced cartridges is important. I also think based on reviews that the vanguard talon and the Tika T3X are more than adequate to likely hunting range of maximum 500. I think the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC are more modern cartridges, that if I went by specifications alone would have been my first choice, but I didn't go with those yet because the ammo just isn't as commonly found If ammo shortages ever becomes an issue again. I do plan on adding those two chamberings next in hunting rifles, as well as a 6.5 cm and a 6 mm from MPA to work on precision skills.

If I needed to I could buy a $10,000 scope or $20,000 one, I'm just not convinced that I would need that for hunting or the type of work I would be doing just like I think 1 MOA accuracy is plenty for hunting and general improvement in marksmanship.

Someone could commission an engineering team to design a perfect optic and spin up a lab to make a super scope for like a few million bucks. But at some point you just exceed what you need or the impact is Overkill for your needs.

I spent some money initially on two NX-8's the night force guys were all about them including the people I talk to at night force them including the people I talk to at night force. But now understanding more about my needs and being newer to hunting, I think most of my stuff is overkill actually.

I could be wrong... And I am definitely learning more. I think based on what I've seen and other reviews the burriss xIII is going to be a good cost for quality versus needs based on what I would do.

Do you think I really need to get a $3,000 scope? If so which would you recommend and why? Also the idea of hot swapping scopes all the time seems like a pain but maybe I should pick up at least two or three of those more expensive scopes.

I kind of think I'd rather spend the money on more ammo and travel to see my army buddy in Alaska and do some cast and blast adventures up there.

One of the challenges of the modern era is that manufacturing quality and design an engineering quality is at an unprecedented quality for what we need.

Would love to hear how you think about making these purchases I could maybe learn something.

I was simply pointing out that I wouldn't limit my scope cost based on gun cost.

And that if they're just for spares, there are a ton of cheap options that would work fine for hunting if you killed a nightforce.

I was simply pointing out that I wouldn't limit my scope cost based on gun cost.

And that if they're just for spares, there are a ton of cheap options that would work fine for hunting if you killed a nightforce.
Ah yes... I see now what you're saying. What do you think about these Burris scopes??? On spec and review they seem pretty good for the price and the magnification and the reticle and first focal plane... Seems like they'll get the job done. Of course the strike eagle might as well. But it seems like a reasonable cost upgrade to get the burris vs the vortex. 🤔. I wonder if I got a couple of tangent thetas If I would just hate all my other scopes 😂.

You would need to use Vortex’s Razor line when comparing to the XTR3. The 3 is well known to have an amazing fov.

If you’re buying new guns just in case the ammo gets hard to find for your other guns, why don’t you just buy ammo for your other guns? This is *the best* time to buy ammo. It will only go down from here later this year.

If you’re buying new guns just in case the ammo gets hard to find for your other guns, why don’t you just buy ammo for your other guns? This is *the best* time to buy ammo. It will only go down from here later this year.
Why not do both? ☺️.

Is there something that makes Christmas New Year's time the best time to buy ammo? I feel like ELDX has stayed pretty steady at about $1.60 a round.

Is there something that makes Christmas New Year's time the best time to buy ammo? I feel like ELDX has stayed pretty steady at about $1.60 a round.
It’s not a special time of year for ammo as far as I know, but election season is coming shortly and lots of political things are currently spicy, so since ammo is currently quite available and probably as cheap as it’s going to get again, this is the time to buy.

What do you think about these Burris scopes???
For their price range, the XTR3i's outperform optically, but underperform mechanically. There are plenty of comments & reviews on here.

If you're flying out to the west & Alaska to hunt, spending $3k on an optic reputed to be highly durable doesn't seem like a big deal for your primary hunting rifle.

However, since you said these are backups/loaners... for me it would depend on how/where it will be loaned out. Ranch gun that spends its life racked in a side by side? Yeah, that's getting a Strike Eagle or similar. It's going to be damaged, have scratched lenses, & break.

For their price range, the XTR3i's outperform optically, but underperform mechanically. There are plenty of comments & reviews on here.

If you're flying out to the west & Alaska to hunt, spending $3k on an optic reputed to be highly durable doesn't seem like a big deal for your primary hunting rifle.

However, since you said these are backups/loaners... for me it would depend on how/where it will be loaned out. Ranch gun that spends its life racked in a side by side? Yeah, that's getting a Strike Eagle or similar. It's going to be damaged, have scratched lenses, & break.
My primary hunting rifles are Christiansen arms MPR's with nx8 4-32's.

I can always hopper those rifles or pick up the khales and hot swap. I think for hunting the 3-15 range is what I would need. Beyond that is probably over kill.

Do you think the strike eagle is better mechanically?

Based on this thread I ran into @Glassaholic review where he compared the nx8 to the Burris and it seemed like Burris would be a good bet as a basic serviceable scope that has a good cost of quality ratio.

I definitely welcome your thoughts.

NX8s are great scopes for dedicated hunting rifles that you will be able to travel with & have confidence in them

Do you think the strike eagle is better mechanically?
Although I really can't say with certainty, I doubt it. I recommended it because, for the kind of use in my example, any scope is going to break & Vortex will always be the easiest/fastest to deal with.

Optically, XTR3 is noticeably superior, it's just the turrets aren't impressive and the parallax knobs suck. I broke my elevation turret with very little use and zero abuse, however, Burris fixed it without hesitation within 2 weeks. I've been using it for ~7 months since without issues.

I've only used one Strike Eagle a couple times that a friend has only had for a year. I can say it's optically not the best - he attempted to spot for me with it over last summer in mirage & missed every splash @ 1,300 yards, while I saw all 30 splashes with my 735 ATACR. That friend has the Strike Eagle on a ranch gun that isn't going to be well taken care of, but it's still just too new & I will personally never use it enough for me to ever have much insight.

I'll note that I suggested the Strike Eagle thinking those were <$650, but now see they're ~$750. If you can find a 3.3-18 XTR3i for $800, I'd go that route over a Strike Eagle, or bump up in price a little to a PST Gen2. There are obviously other options, as well.

I think for hunting the 3-15 range is what I would need
Perfect magnification range for western hunting. Even for shooting steel, I rarely go over 20x, despite having the available magnification. There are a couple of caveats re: having high magnification available, but they're negated if weight is a priority.

There are plenty of reviews about tons of different optics on here. Of note are reviews & comments by @Glassaholic @Covertnoob5 @koshkin If any of their comments or observations conflict with mine, you should trust what those guys have to say

Finally, SHOT Show is right around the corner. I'm not buying anything for the next month, until I know what new products have been announced.

Last edited:
NX8s are great scopes for dedicated hunting rifles that you will be able to travel with & have confidence in them

Although I really can't say with certainty, I doubt it. I recommended it because, for the kind of use in my example, any scope is going to break & Vortex will always be the easiest/fastest to deal with.

Optically, XTR3 is noticeably superior, it's just the turrets aren't impressive and the parallax knobs suck. I broke my elevation turret with very little use and zero abuse, however, Burris fixed it without hesitation within 2 weeks. I've been using it for ~7 months since without issues.

I've only used one Strike Eagle a couple times that a friend has only had for a year. I can say it's optically not the best - he attempted to spot for me with it over last summer in mirage & missed every splash @ 1,300 yards, while I saw all 30 splashes with my 735 ATACR. That friend has the Strike Eagle on a ranch gun that isn't going to be well taken care of, but it's still just too new & I will personally never use it enough for me to ever have much insight.

I'll note that I suggested the Strike Eagle thinking those were <$650, but now see they're ~$750. If you can find a 3.3-18 XTR3i for $800, I'd go that route over a Strike Eagle, or bump up in price a little to a PST Gen2. There are obviously other options, as well.

Perfect magnification range for western hunting. Even for shooting steel, I rarely go over 20x, despite having the available magnification. There are a couple of caveats re: having high magnification available, but they're negated if weight is a priority.

There are plenty of reviews about tons of different optics on here. Of note are reviews & comments by @Glassaholic @Covertnoob5 @koshkin If any of their comments or observations conflict with mine, you should trust what those guys have to say

Finally, SHOT Show is right around the corner. I'm not buying anything for the next month, until I know what new products have been announced.
Thank you so much for the detailed response... Because I am not a frequent purchaser of scopes I didn't think about new product debut... I will definitely wait and see.

That being said I can get a strike eagle for 500 and a Burris for $900 at any time.

I will see what shot show looks like!! Again thank you so much for weighing in. ☺️

Last edited:
Reactions: R_A_W
@FuhQ @Hecouldgoalltheway @redneckbmxer24 @UpSideDown @R_A_W

I have decided to go with an LHT 4.5-22. The burris really did look perfect for me, but after reading this thread.

I just don't want to screw with it, I think vortex is going to be where its at best on cost of quality and support.

do you guys have a recommended manufacture of Picatinny rails for the vanguard talon in 30-06 and the t3x in .308?

Thanks again for your help, really bummed about Burris as that scope was literally perfect for my needs.

@FuhQ @Hecouldgoalltheway @redneckbmxer24 @UpSideDown @R_A_W

I have decided to go with an LHT 4.5-22. The burris really did look perfect for me, but after reading this thread.

I just don't want to screw with it, I think vortex is going to be where its at best on cost of quality and support.

do you guys have a recommended manufacture of Picatinny rails for the vanguard talon in 30-06 and the t3x in .308?

Thanks again for your help, really bummed about Burris as that scope was literally perfect for my needs.
Evolution Gun Works

Also, take threads like that with a grain of salt. That was a very isolated incident, one that I’ve never heard of happening before, as far as the whole ordeal. I think it was a mixture of multiple people with bad attitudes, purposely nitpicking each other to the point that the CS rep started trolling him by sending the OP shit scopes on purpose. Granted, that is not how to handle CS, And I’m glad he was fired, but I think the OP’s initial nitpicking and being a dick to the CS rep right out of the gate didn’t help his case.

Evolution Gun Works

Also, take threads like that with a grain of salt. That was a very isolated incident, one that I’ve never heard of happening before, as far as the whole ordeal. I think it was a mixture of multiple people with bad attitudes, purposely nitpicking each other to the point that the CS rep started trolling him by sending the OP shit scopes on purpose. Granted, that is not how to handle CS, And I’m glad he was fired, but I think the OP’s initial nitpicking and being a dick to the CS rep right out of the gate didn’t help his case.
Yeah I just worry about an organization that doesn't have controls or escalation processes in place to be able to catch those things.

Yes I know that sometimes isolated crap happens and there's really not a single scope company out there that has a perfect product. I have done lots of manufacturing consulting.

But watching vortex history over the years has been nothing short of impressive as far as customer support for a really good middle of the road scope. Like I was disappointed to find out today that night force doesn't warranty their electronics past 3 years. I don't need that warranty work right now but that's a real bummer.

Thanks for the recommend on EGW

Reactions: FuhQ
I know.
You should consider expanding your horizons instead of buying a 3-18 that is really a 5-18 because the reticle is useless below 5x and you lose all of your fov.
What do you think about the LHT 4.5 to 22?

Do you think that's the case even with an illuminated reticle?

An illuminated reticle helps, and IMO is almost necessary on a FFP, but many aren't daylight bright and you have to remember to turn it on and to the right brightness and also count on it to not shut itself off or the batterys to be dead. With a SFP reticle you'll be able to shoulder it and find your reticle on low mag regardless of any of that.

I had a LHT 4.5-22 on a hunting rifle and hunted with it. It wasn’t a bad optic but didn’t stick around long because it’s just not a great optic for the crossover use like it’s marketed for. It’s a far better long range optic than it is a hunting optic for probably 75% of hunting. It would be great on a varmint rifle but it just lacks the FOV and ability to easily pick up the reticle down low for a hunting rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_5633.jpeg
    IMG_5633.jpeg
    856.6 KB · Views: 25

I had a LHT 4.5-22 on a hunting rifle and hunted with it. It wasn’t a bad optic but didn’t stick around long because it’s just not a great optic for the crossover use like it’s marketed for. It’s a far better long range optic than it is a hunting optic for probably 75% of hunting. It would be great on a varmint rifle but it just lacks the FOV and ability to easily pick up the reticle down low for a hunting rifle.
How are first focal plane scopes for seeing the reticle at lower magnification in the 3-18 illum range

How are first focal plane scopes for seeing the reticle at lower magnification in the 3-18 illum range

They’re all the same, the only way to get one that’s not totally useless on one end or the other is with a 3-4x erector and there’s so few of those. A SFP is the way to go but that’s not what you want to hear.

If, and it is a bif "if", the reticle is properly designed, you can use a 3-18 for your intended purpose.
What has happened though, is everyone was screaming for christmas tree style reticles on everything, when, in fact, they are a very niche reticle. They work, but they work in a very limited space.
The meopta optika6 with the MRAD reticle comes to mind.
I have a Bushnell 4.5-18 LRTSi, which has a well designed reticle, but they do not make an illuminated model anymore, and for hunting, illuminated is a must for a FFP scope.
Regardless, at low magnification, you won't be using any of the features of a FFP scope anyway. You'll just be using the center of the reticle as an aiming point.
There is a place for FFP scopes, but they aren't the answer for everything.

Okay, I thought I had nothing but venoms for our family 22's but apparently I did get a strike eagle 5x25 for my CZ 457.

I have got these two scooes looking at them side by side.

Se 5x25 and the nx8 4-32.

I can tell a bit of difference between the glass. But both are absolutely serviceable optics to hit pie plates out to 1000m per my Leica range finder.

And on top of that sighting The street sign across the way at 46 m. No problem making the shot at minimum zoom. Like the reticle is totally fine.

I've got the tremor 3 on the NX8 and whatever on the 5x25 strike eagle.

What am I missing here?

Attachments

• PXL_20240104_193611503.jpg
    PXL_20240104_193611503.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 26
Okay, I thought I had nothing but venoms for our family 22's but apparently I did get a strike eagle 5x25 for my CZ 457.

I have got these two scooes looking at them side by side.

Se 5x25 and the nx8 4-32.

I can tell a bit of difference between the glass. But both are absolutely serviceable optics to hit pie plates out to 1000m per my Leica range finder.

And on top of that sighting The street sign across the way at 46 m. No problem making the shot at minimum zoom. Like the reticle is totally fine.

I've got the tremor 3 on the NX8 and whatever on the 5x25 strike eagle.

What am I missing here?
Try that the last 10 minutes of legal hunting time.

Reactions: Aftermath
^^^ that and animals in woods that aren’t reflective street signs LOK

I’m done here, buy whatever you feel will make you happy. It’s no skin off of my ass if you spend thousands of dollars to go hunting and miss your chance at an animal because you can’t find your 3x FFP reticle.