• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

two questions..............22 target rifle

sjmpcc022

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2020
Wisconsin
I'm most likely going to buy a .22 target rifle this weekend, a Bergara B14R.

1.......I don't see any advantage to buying a barreled action and mounting it in a KRG Bravo when the Bergara stock looks to be very similar. It's a mini chassis, an aluminum frame in the polymer. It also comes with a 30moa rail and looks to have the same adjustments. I can also buy local, with a small cash discount, as opposed to doing a transfer on the action and ordering the stock separate. I think the latter would be a bit more money. I've decided that 1000$ish is the limit. The VooDoo is way cool for lotsa more $$, and the Zermatt action for 1150$ is very tempting, but not necessary.

2....... I was pretty much set on a 4-16X50 FFP scope, but it seems most are going the 5-25X56 route. That is the exact scope I have on my PRS rifle, and it pretty much sits at 16X. The 4-16 has a bit more elevation available, and I figure 400 yds would probably be the max. I have 1000yds available, but I figured for leisure range time, learning the rifle and smaller targets at 200-400 would be good. I also( I think) have the option to shoot .22 PRS type matches , maybe that would make a difference? Am I missing something?????

Can’t fault your thinking at all. I did end up going the vudoo route and love it but I first went with a cz457 and love it as well. The Bergara is a good setup and you’ll see lots of threads and YouTube’s about it. I would get as much scope as you can afford. I went with a 7-35 and matched my center fire and love it. My vudoo build matches everything I have for my centerfire. And I enjoy every single round I shoot with it, honestly even more than my terminus. Throw my can on it and it’s just so much fun…. I would not hesitate to go Bergara with the steel barrel and shoot the crap out of it if I didn’t want to go vudoo money

Reactions: sjmpcc022
You'll have a better eye box with a 5-25 at 16x than a 4x16 at 16x.

While you can get a dud rifle with any brand, everyone I know with a Bergara B14R has been happy with it. Do take the rail off and loctite and re-torque it yourself, it does seem to be a common issue/complaint.

There is also another thread here on how to modify the factory trigger for a lighter pull.

ETA:
Whatever scope you get a zero stop and ability to adjust parallax down to at least 25 yards are a must IMO.

You'll have a better eye box with a 5-25 at 16x than a 4x16 at 16x.

While you can get a dud rifle with any brand, everyone I know with a Bergara B14R has been happy with it. Do take the rail off and loctite and re-torque it yourself, it does seem to be a common issue/complaint.

There is also another thread here on how to modify the factory trigger for a lighter pull.

ETA:
Whatever scope you get a zero stop and ability to adjust parallax down to at least 25 yards are a must IMO.
You have offered me a lot of great info, first with my PRS rifle and now this one, I appreciate it all.

The scope will definately have a zero stop/parallax adjustment, and I will check out the trigger adjustment thread. After I get some time with this gun I plan on getting the same Trigger Tech I have in my 6.5, It's a two stage Special. I REALLY like the feel of a two stage, and the Special was plenty light for me. The Diamond was around 100$ more to gain 4oz. When I started this journey I didn't know you could get a trigger that light, so I figured the Special would be fine, it is.

I recently put the very same 4-16X50 on a target oriented AR I have, and will get to hit the range with it this Sunday. I should be able to figure out how it would translate to a .22. I'm going to verify data for the .223 to 600yds, so that will be in the wheelhouse for the .22. Thanks again!

Reactions: 6.5SH
With NRL22 are a lot of funky, compromised positions, especially any of the support side stages. Having a forgiving eye box is a huge help there.

I'll also suggest a 35-36 yard zero not 25 or 50. If you plug that into Strelok and set the step distance to 1 yard on the chart view you'll quickly see why.

Reactions: sjmpcc022 and STex
Bergara B14R does not come with a 30 MOA rail....or any rail for that matter.

The KRG bravo offers a few potential advantages. Not the least of which is a much wider forend. Every local guy to me that competes with the factory stock.... has slapped an arca rail onto it. For as much to get a wider footprint than the bipod interface.

I never ran the factory stock. Opted for the AI chassis I've ran for over a decade. One day I tried a friends factory stocked gun and it was good functionally....but man that narrow forend leaves a bit to be desired.

One thing about the factory stock is its pretty much guaranteed to have perfect mag lockup whereas nobody else's stuff can. More of a crapshoot and or requiring an adjustable mag catch.

Optic magnification is personal preference....I usually won't give an opinion on that for that reason alone. But with rimfire seeing splash is much harder at times given terrain and distance and often I am looking for the bullet itself in flight versus seeing the trace. I recommend the higher powers for that. Sailing a bullet at +300yds in any wind....good luck with even finding it at 25X if the grass around the target is high.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Bergara B14R does not come with a 30 MOA rail....or any rail for that matter.
I was mistaken on that point, I looked at Bergara's website again and saw that. I must have dreamed that one then?? Maybe one of the ones with guns, a few blondes from Fox news and bourbon??????

The point about the wide fore end makes good sense, as well as higher magnification to see teeny tiny bullets.

Pound for pound, you cannot go wrong with the Bergara. My daughter shoots a B14R with the carbon barrel. I had it lot tested at Lapua last week, and the results were solid. Attached are the best 100 metered groups from both the Bergara, and my Gen 2 Vudoo.

One other thing - the Bergara stock has been flawless on feeding and reliability. My Vudoo is way pickier. If I were to do it again, I would saved a couple of grand, and bought myself a steel Bergara. Both of these rifles have Triggertech Diamond 2 stage triggers, FWIW.

Attachments

• DA344061-CA9F-428F-86DE-5CCBE38433FA.jpeg
    DA344061-CA9F-428F-86DE-5CCBE38433FA.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 108
  • CFABD81C-CC8A-4B84-A745-8DB69F308A33.jpeg
    CFABD81C-CC8A-4B84-A745-8DB69F308A33.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 107
Ok the begara barreled action i recently bought did not come with a sight rail. I added a 30moa that was available at the time i think an EGW.
I believe the complete rifles do come with rails however.

I put it into an MPA chassis I had on hand and added a triggertech and bought 2 more mags.

if I didnt have the chassis and triggertech to repurpose I would have bought a complete b14r rifle. At the worst you have a stock to sell thats R700 and acis compatible AND you get a rail for the sight. The cost savings for the barreled actions offset by the value of the stock and the rail gets smaller quickly. Also I am not sure of the QC difference in test firing over actions vs complete rifles but I have no knowledge of it.

On feed issues properly adjusted all 3 mags feed flawlessly with SK flatnose and long range match with no failures so far in about 300 rounds.
We slapped on a mk5 7-35 that we had on a sphur mount. this was to quickly get a rifle together for my wife to shoot a match so she stole her optics off her centerfire rifle for preffere reticle. Sameness there is an advantage IMHO.

our only grumpiness is the barrel length, would have liked 20.5 or 22 ideally for chassis fitment, especially with bipod. not a significant issue with the factory stock. If I went MPA on one a hybrid is likely a better fit over a comp in my opinion.

Bergara B 14R rifles do not come with a sight rail, the BMR rifles come with a 30 MOA rail. Totally different actions.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
Thanks I just went to website and RTFM'ed and even the pic of complete rifle is sans rail. I thought it was just the action i got. Thanks for correction.

I just looked and is is EGW that has a 20moa rail for a clone 700SA for 39.99, for some reason I was thinking it came with the rifle They must have been on my mind because I just bought and installed a plate for my M&P 9mm to mount a Vortex Viper dot. Hello Carry Optics division!

I bought a B14R complete rifle when they first came out and competed with it in PRS22 and NRL22. Great combination. I like the B14R factory stock but I added an Area 419 weighted ARCA rail to get more weight up front. Added a Trigger Tech special trigger. Used a Vortex Venom 5-25x56 MRAD. B14R great option.

I just traded it toward a RIMX barreled action that I got a deal on.

I just looked and is is EGW that has a 20moa rail for a clone 700SA for 39.99, for some reason I was thinking it came with the rifle They must have been on my mind because I just bought and installed a plate for my M&P 9mm to mount a Vortex Viper dot. Hello Carry Optics division!
If doing stuff to 400 yards I'd get a 30 MOA rail.

I ran a 20MOA rail on my B14R because could not find a 30MOA rail at the time. I think I only ran out of elevation twice at a match and I just dialed max available then used reticle. 30 MOA rail is better but I got by with 20 MOA.

People talk shit about the CA Ranger 22's, but I've had nothing but good things to say about mine. The fit and finish to the stock is kind of lackluster, but as far as accuracy, consistency, mechanically, and precision is concerned...I have nothing but positives. It's been a great rifle for the last year. And shoots sub-MOA...And on some good days, it shoots sub-1/2 MOA @ 100 yards. I have shot plenty of .3xx" groups with bulk CCI SV.

Having both a B14R and a RimX if you’re just giving up much with the b14r but I will stepping into a RimX is a whole new level but not necessary.

Now for glass it sorta depends on what you’re willing to spend, and I’ll agree with that you want more then 16x max just because you want the ability to go higher. I’m running an athlon ares BTR gen2 on a 30moa rail and I think I run out of travel around 19ish mils but that puts me just shy of 400 yards

I have 2 B14R with 20 moa rail, Burris XTR Signature rings with 30 moa in the inserts. Both have Vortex Strike Eagle 5 x 25. I can dial up to 500 yds.

If all you can find is a 20 moa base you can get a mount or rings with another 20 moa in them. Get a 5-25x area scope with enough elevation to reach 400 yards for a good 50 yard zero. From there you should be fine. A 4-16 May work but better to have the higher power if needed and it is at times.

The Bergara would be my choice in the under $1000 mark. 700 footprint and triggers is a great advantage not to mention the larger mags.

Reactions: FimRire RongLifle
Make sure not to get the carbon barrel, they can have issues as they warm up. 30 MOA rail is a good choice, 20 MOA is more than adequate fine for 200 yards and in. I've looked at the Bravo and agreed that at least to me, it just doesn't make a lot of sense, especially if you're starting with the HMR stock. Slap a rail on there (my buddy literally just bolted the Area 419 10" rail onto his last night, with just the two 10-32 screws into the sling stud points, said it's a great fit without an extra screw) and rock and roll. The wider forend of the Bravo only matters if you aren't putting an ARCA rail on either, which you should.

I'm going tomorrow to get the Bergara rifle. Not in stock but I can pay cash at the store and get the discount, have it in a week or so. I thought about the Zermatt action, I have an Origin on my PRS rifle and love it, just can't justify the money. It seems that opinion is this rifle will shoot plenty good enough!
Already planned on a Trigger Tech Special, same as on my PRS rifle so that's good to go.

I grabbed an Arken SH4 4-16X50( when they were 30% off) for my target AR which will be wrung out Sunday. Unless I hate it, which I don't think I will, I will probably get the same in a 5-25X50. Before anyone accuses me of being a chicom sympathizer, rest assured I am not. It's pretty hard to argue with a retical I really like, illuminated, tracking guarantee and good CS. Vortex is an hour ish away from me in Wisconsin, everyone buys them and they are chicom made also. I can't see paying more for the scope on a .22 fun gun than I paid for the scope on my PRS rifle.( a Brownells MPO) I can also get the same Arken cantilever mount, a 20moa I have on the AR, which should allow for plenty of adjustment???

Reactions: FuhQ
Make sure not to get the carbon barrel, they can have issues as they warm up. 30 MOA rail is a good choice, 20 MOA is more than adequate fine for 200 yards and in. I've looked at the Bravo and agreed that at least to me, it just doesn't make a lot of sense, especially if you're starting with the HMR stock. Slap a rail on there (my buddy literally just bolted the Area 419 10" rail onto his last night, with just the two 10-32 screws into the sling stud points, said it's a great fit without an extra screw) and rock and roll. The wider forend of the Bravo only matters if you aren't putting an ARCA rail on either, which you should.
It's funny you mentioned the CF barrel........................ I got into a half day text argument with a very good friend of mine last Saturday about just that.
He was a manufacturing engineer, now retired. I'm a tool and die maker, still chugging along.

Because he is retired, he has nothing to do!! He was trying to explain to me why I should get the CF barrel. I bet I got at least 5 links/articles/testimonies why he is always right! My simple reason for not was a small tube will heat up quicker, no matter how much cardboard you wrap it in. Physics. Second reason was PRS rifles have big fat ass stainless barrels, not thin tubes with toilet paper rolls glued to them. It was mostly in jest from me, but not him.

It was somewhat amusing, I go with what works and is possible. Engineers go with whatever someone puts on paper, as long as the degree comes from the right institution!!!!;)

In a match, you typically don't need more that 16x for various reasons. Alot of stages are better shot at ±12x for FOV, transition, and target acquistion etc. But in matches you also have spotters and aren't shooting paper. Its all the pre-match, solo range time, I find where I'd prefer 20-25x.

I’ve got a Tl3 and origin, so grabbing the RimX just made sense but a good day with the B14 isn’t much behind the RimX

Bang for your buck the B14r is the best thing on the market and the factory stock is more than capable of getting you started!
Scope is personal preference, BUT we see heaps of guys using the 34mm tube Vortex Strike Eagle atop the Bergara. At 700ish dollars (cheaper on sale) it has all the features of bigger better scopes at "Tasco" prices. Vortex makes a cheaper version w/o locking turrets or illumination....the "Venom" but they make the rifle a little more top heavy.

Use the money you save by NOT buying a V gun and a Schmidt&bender to stock up on a Big Lot of (your ammo here)

I'm going tomorrow to get the Bergara rifle. Not in stock but I can pay cash at the store and get the discount, have it in a week or so. I thought about the Zermatt action, I have an Origin on my PRS rifle and love it, just can't justify the money. It seems that opinion is this rifle will shoot plenty good enough!
Already planned on a Trigger Tech Special, same as on my PRS rifle so that's good to go.

I grabbed an Arken SH4 4-16X50( when they were 30% off) for my target AR which will be wrung out Sunday. Unless I hate it, which I don't think I will, I will probably get the same in a 5-25X50. Before anyone accuses me of being a chicom sympathizer, rest assured I am not. It's pretty hard to argue with a retical I really like, illuminated, tracking guarantee and good CS. Vortex is an hour ish away from me in Wisconsin, everyone buys them and they are chicom made also. I can't see paying more for the scope on a .22 fun gun than I paid for the scope on my PRS rifle.( a Brownells MPO) I can also get the same Arken cantilever mount, a 20moa I have on the AR, which should allow for plenty of adjustment???
Good plan on the 5-25 but don’t get a cantilever mount. Just get a good set of rings. Better to have the 5-25 power range if needed. You can dial it down to 16x but can’t dial a 4-16x to 25x.

Also as mentioned get the Bergara with the steel barrel. Not carbon.

Reactions: FuhQ and MarkCZ
I've had my B14R with the factory HMR stock for about a year now. I replaced the trigger as soon as I got it home. I run it with my TBAC Ultra 7 223 suppressor. WHAT A BLAST!!! I bought 2 of THESE and have had zero feeding issues.

I wish I didn’t have an extended mag well on my build when I saw the Mac Bros mags but I’ve been running the L3i mags with good results.

I went to the gun store Saturday, paid cash, got the 2% discount and should have my rifle in a week. Once I verify the scope mount height, scope and mount will be coming. I'm also going to predict a Trigger Tech Special will not be far behind, I have one on my PRS rifle and really like it.

Hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run it with my TBAC Ultra 7 223 suppressor. WHAT A BLAST!!!
Sorry for the quick hijack...
I may be wrong, but my understanding is shooting rimfire out of a non user-serviceable (can't take it apart and clean it) centerfire suppressor is a big no-no. Rimfire ammo is so much more dirtier than centerfire. All that lead and lube add up fast and need thorough cleaning pretty often. I generally don't go over 500 or so rounds out of my Dead Air Mask without an ultrasonic bath.
...back to Bergara

Reactions: ZG47A and FuhQ
Sorry for the quick hijack...
I may be wrong, but my understanding is shooting rimfire out of a non user-serviceable (can't take it apart and clean it) centerfire suppressor is a big no-no. Rimfire ammo is so much more dirtier than centerfire. All that lead and lube add up fast and need thorough cleaning pretty often. I generally don't go over 500 or so rounds out of my Dead Air Mask without an ultrasonic bath.
...back to Bergara
Generally agreed, but I do think CLR makes this less of a concern. I clean my stainless rimfire baffles with CLR, no ultrasonic (just never seemed to work as well). TBAC has endorsed the use of CLR as well, particularly if you keep it all internal; so, should be able to just fill it with CLR, maybe several cycles, and be all good.

@TBACRAY Your thoughts?