• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two questions on Kestrel 5700 AB

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
I am evaluating this unit. I'm an old fashion guy - I print out and laminate range cards, etc. I don't own a cell phone - nor plan on buying one. But I do realize that technology is valuable. As such, two questions to help me evaluate the 5700AB:

(1) will the 5700AB allow me to enter a custom drag curve for a bullet that I have very detailed CDs on? I'm sure I can enter my own BCs, but I have the CDs from a Doppler and was hoping to use them, as this bullet is going 1800+ yds and the CDs solutions should outperform, even the G7 BC.

(2) will the 5700AB allow me to enter muzzle velocity variations from temperature differences? I know my powder varies approximately 1.3fps per degree and it would be very nice for the Kestrel to vary my muzzle velocity based on the changing temp.

Thanks very much for any help. The support of USMC Doc has been great and I have learned a lot about this unit on the old Scout Hide.

I think the Elite uses AB's CDM. I don't believe you can use your own curves.

You can send Doc Beech a note to confirm

thanks guys,
my 5700 Elite arrived yesterday and its a great tool. I will contact Doc RE the personal CDM.

Follow up on the MV variation as temp changes. I have got the numbers in and the model looks good. The MV is changing at a good rate to the temparture. Very nice.

I do note a bug however... if you have the MV temp variation set up for a gun and then you change the gun to another gun, the MV temp variation gets turned off. This means you have to re-start it for all the guns each time. Big pain in the ass - and a potential source of error.

I will report this to Doc as well.

thanks guys,
my 5700 Elite arrived yesterday and its a great tool. I will contact Doc RE the personal CDM.

Follow up on the MV variation as temp changes. I have got the numbers in and the model looks good. The MV is changing at a good rate to the temparture. Very nice.

I do note a bug however... if you have the MV temp variation set up for a gun and then you change the gun to another gun, the MV temp variation gets turned off. This means you have to re-start it for all the guns each time. Big pain in the ass - and a potential source of error.

I will report this to Doc as well.

Yea , this is a known bug that should be corrected in the next FW update.