• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two Rifles, One Freezer

BradleyH

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Casey, Illinois
So I had this crazy hankering the other day, to put my AI AE mkiii in my deep freezer along with my rem 700.

A while ago, before I bought my AE. I read a ton of threads about the Durability of the AI rifles, actions and stupid accurate barrels had me sold. Now not that i would ever need a rifle that could be ran over by a truck, but i did want one. So i bought an AE MKIII in 308, and i LOVE it.

Back to the threads about the Reliability of AI rifles. I always wanted to tested out these claims, the ones about being on a frozen tundra interested me the most. But to be honest, I HATE cold weather. So i wasn't about to go outside and freeze my balls off shooting. Now i know that the Arctic Warfare model would be the way to go, I have an AE. Not an AW, I figured they were close enough for my test.

So onto my "test"

Rifles:

-Accuracy International AE MKIII, 308 Winchester

-Accurate Ordnance Remington 700, 338 Lapua Magnum

My Procedure:

- I tried to "mimic" some frozen conditions. To do this I went outside with a bucket, and scooped "Slush" snow into it. Then I laid each rifle on the floor, grabbed handfuls of snow, and started packing it around the action ( I know in nature snow does not pack itself around the action). The only problem I ran into were the rifle's external temperature. I had to take about 5 handfuls of Slush to each rifle. The first four handfuls melted away and ran into the actions.

But since the fifth handful stuck, I was ready to stick them in the freezer.

bhkv48.jpg

I put the rifles in the freezer for 3 hours, The gauge was reading -15 Celsius

Here they are, fresh out of the freezer.

2zf4ysi.jpg

And the AE

nq681t.jpg

When i pulled them out, this is as far as i could get the bolts open. After about 15 minutes both actions cycled perfectly.

2s659i8.jpg

20gl63l.jpg

I know this was an unorthodox way of testing rifles, and probably a little stupid. But I was curious so i tried it.

The one thing that interested me the most, both actions got stuck at the same point. Can anyone elaborate on this?

By the way, both rifles were wearing Mark IV's. but I really didn't feel like trashing two scopes.

Bradley

Lug/Raceways were blocked with ice (tighter tolerance in said areas).... I'm sure a little persuasion would've coaxed both actions open...

Lug/Raceways were blocked with ice (tighter tolerance in said areas).... I'm sure a little persuasion would've coaxed both actions open...

On the Remmington I pulled, but didn't put my weight into it. On the AE, I put all my weight into it.

Perhaps more of a "shock tap" would encourage the operation of the bolts... I'd be a little hesitant of doing that with the Remmy unless it had a one piece bolt in it.

Another possibility would be the actual action shrinking a few thousandths... Tough to say.

Last edited:
Better question would be......was the bolt cocked? If so did you pull the trigger and did it fire the pin.

Better question would be......was the bolt cocked? If so did you pull the trigger and did it fire the pin.

I thought both of them were not, but the 4th picture looks to show that the AE is(unless that is how it looks when you raise the bolt handle). I remember both Triggers feeling "Squishy" but then again i thought both were not cocked.

On the AE when I did try manipulating the bolt, I kept slowing getting further and further back with it. I did notice that in order for the pin to be protruding from the bolt, I had to rack the bolt all the way to the back. Again I hadn't noticed this before, for all I know it could be normal.

Did you slip fire the trigger (press the trigger while locking the bolt, causing the trigger to softly drop without dry firing your kit) upon doing this test? If not, they're cocked (which is also indicated by the pics provided).

Did you slip fire the trigger (press the trigger while locking the bolt, causing the trigger to softly drop without dry firing your kit) upon doing this test? If not, they're cocked (which is also indicated by the pics provided).

That could of happened. I think I pulled the trigger, nothing happened. Then I went to working the bolt again, heard a click and some ice hit the ground. I didn't think anything of it at the time. When I tried working the bolt, this is when I noticed then pin was not protruding from the bolt. At least until I could fully pull the bolt back.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should of documented this better

Holy shit - I never knew this was possible.

Great experiment, Bradley. Hope you do more.