• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Two Savage rifle builds Update

Handloader

Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Lewisburg, Ohio
SO.....I have been putting together a few rifles, one for each of my two sons’. It has taken close to a year, buying a piece at a time….waiting for the stocks to get finished…trying to catch a good deal on a barrel, scope, action etc.

The rifles are Savages; a 7mmWSM built on a long action with a McGowen barrel, and a 300 Win Mag with a Shilen Barrel. Both barrels are light Varmit barrels, headspaced tight, and I had them threaded to 5/8x24 TPI for RWS’s (a hide member with great braks) muzzle brakes. I am awaiting the brakes to be timed as I type.

I did the pre-accutrigger jobs for the Savages with 0.040 gauge wire, and the trigger pull is clean and crisp (about 2-2 ½ pounds).
The stocks are from Kevin Rayhill (Stockade Guns), and are the Elk Hunter money-saver stocks, inlet for the Savage Staggered feed long action. Only complaint about the stocks…the recoil pad screws came pre-stripped, and I had to replace them with decking screws (the screws were self-tapping sheet metal screws into wood….REALLY?????). Other than the recoil pad screws, the stocks were great, and minimal epoxy was needed to fill the pinholes here and there. Had I ordered the stock finished…Rayhill would have filled the holes and the stock would be excellent.

As can be seen, the boys attacked the stocks this weekend, and just had fun with them. My youngest wanted texture on his grip, and I attempted. The effect was Okay (alright…it looked like shit, but I told him the paint would help to hide it). Although the texturing looked really bad, it felt great in the hand.
I bought scopes from members here on the hide, and these rifles will be dressed with some mil dot Nikons. EGW 20 MOA bases (I will NEVER order from OPTICS PLANET again!!!!!) will be bedded to the action.

Anyhow, this was a really fun, and great project with the boys. They learned volumes, and I can not wait to try these out in Spring 2012 on some Hogs.
IMG00166-20110724-1820.jpg

IMG00171-20110724-1822.jpg

IMG00175-20110724-2048.jpg

IMG00180-20110724-2152.jpg

Re: Two Savage rifle builds for my kids

couple of proud boys right there..

Re: Two Savage rifle builds for my kids

That is awesome. You can't buy those moments.

Re: Two Savage rifle builds Update

Scope base and Stocks bedded to the action. Initial testing with factory ammo is around 3/4 MOA at 100 (all fired by the boys).
We start to reload tonight!!!!
FinalProduct.jpg