• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two stage trigger, any draw backs?

Penguin156

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2011
Wisconsin
If I like the feel of a two stage trigger, would there be any drawbacks to going with one? Any adverse effects that I'm over looking? Is a two stage in any way less reliable? Basically, is the only difference between a single and two stage just feel and preference? When ever I do a search for this topic I find more info on the semi guns but very little for bolt guns.

Re: Two stage trigger, any draw backs?

Accuracy International has used them for years and have the reputation of pretty much the world's most reliable bolt gun. I love mine, wouldn't trade it.

Reliabilty is going to be more a factor of the trigger maker and design than the 1 or 2 stage factor.

I've tried them all, and did not know what a Quality Trigger was until I Fired off the First Shot of my TRG22...All I can say is...WOW...

AI and SAKO two stage triggers are the Best out there, and both has proven records to back it's reputations.

But these are both "Factory" if you're going to put a aftermarket on then see if you can find a smith or shop to try one out first. It'll be a waste of money and time to swap back and forth after finding out you don't really like it.

My friend's Sako TRG 22 is what made me want a 2 stage. It's the only 2 stage I've used so far but I've fallen in love with it. Is there a good aftermarket 700 trigger that is reliable and feels like the Sako TRG?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend's Sako TRG 22 is what made me want a 2 stage. It's the only 2 stage I've used so far but I've fallen in love with it. Is there a good aftermarket 700 trigger that is reliable and feels like the Sako TRG? </div></div>

HUBER feels very close, they are the ONLY trigger I will use in a 700 or clone based rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend's Sako TRG 22 is what made me want a 2 stage. It's the only 2 stage I've used so far but I've fallen in love with it. Is there a good aftermarket 700 trigger that is reliable and feels like the Sako TRG? </div></div>

HUBER feels very close, they are the ONLY trigger I will use in a 700 or clone based rifle. </div></div>Agree 100%.

I very much prefer the 2 stage trigger on my TRG 22. I have also replaced numerous triggers on my ARs with 2 stage RRA match triggers, as well as doing the same for other individuals ARs. I prefer them for both target shooting as well as field/hunting use.

The TRG trigger as it came out of the box, unadjusted BTW, was superb.

MS

As I said above the TRG trigger is the best but if anyone has had the chance to shoot a Sauer 200STR or 200TR or a Sig SSG3000 (all the same action and trigger) they are just as good! So if you ever get the chance to try one do it.

The huber is very close to what a giessele feels like to me. It's a very good trigger.

ETA- if you like the feel of the two stage triggers, then yes it is worth it. Triggers are very personal and what you like is what you like. You will do better with something you like.

I need to try a good two stage. For the people that have both Jewel's and a good two stage which do they perfer? I have 4 Jewell's and I'm having a hard time imaging a better trigger but I guess a two stage is a whole different animal.

I have a Jewell on my bench rest rifle (2oz) and a huber on my rem 700 and like them both for their uses. A bench gun is not subject to moving around and for the Jewell is perfect. On my Remington the huber fits with how I use and shoot it (moving around, less set). I also have 2 stage triggers on my Small Bore Sil Annie's and love them as well.

I was also interested in this topic. I own a TRG and love the two stage. I also own numerous AR variations with Geiselle match two stage triggers and I just cannot see myself going to a single stage unless it is a bench only gun. Just my preference.

I would like to build a Remington long action that I have here but I cannot convince myself to pull the trigger unless I can find a two stage solution that is tough and reliable. I had heard about Huber triggers but I would like to see some sort of feedback from anyone using them in; matches, the field, any use outside of just bench work.

-Matt

They are tough and work in field and other non bench applications. They are more sealed than a stock rem trigger. You won't be disappointed.

No drawbacks. I have TRG-22.
Custom built gun has CG xtreme trigger. Different feel than TRG. It's the only 2 stage trigger I could find for bolt gun.

CG is very pricise with no creep or anything like that. I doubt you'll find anyone who has used a CG trigger have any negative comments about it.

I have a 2 stage trigger in my Annie 64 MPR. It's great, but I just prefer a single stage in my centerfire match rifles. I shoot a Jewell set around 2 lbs. I just don't like "searching" for that second stage. I like to stack pressure with a known and not an unknown.

I have a feeling this is 100% subjective so I'd get behind both and shoot the snot out them. Otherwise it's like asking which stock is best...

I agree, these things are very much personal and you sort of need to finger them for awhile to decide what you like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just don't like "searching" for that second stage. I like to stack pressure with a known and not an unknown. </div></div>

To remedy the perceived "searching" you need to dry fire and shoot a lot more. You need to develop muscle memory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HUBER feels very close, they are the ONLY trigger I will use in a 700 or clone based rifle.</div></div>

Beat me too it. Was going to say don't forget Huber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 2 stage trigger in my Annie 64 MPR. It's great, but I just prefer a single stage in my centerfire match rifles. I shoot a Jewell set around 2 lbs. I just don't like "searching" for that second stage. I like to stack pressure with a known and not an unknown.

I have a feeling this is 100% subjective so I'd get behind both and shoot the snot out them. Otherwise it's like asking which stock is best... </div></div>

I love the consistency and follow through a two stage gives me. I don't feel that i have to search for the second stage on my SSA-E but as you said it's subjective.

Huber is about the only way to go in a 2 stage for a bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huber is about the only way to go in a 2 stage for a bolt gun. </div></div>

Bullshit. The cg xtreme is not only better in terms of feel, it is more durable, user adjustable, provides a better safety and is a real 2 stage.

The only people who have tried both and prefer the huber are those without the ability to follow the simple instructions needed to set up the xtreme.

Maybe once I have the cash I'll have to set my 5r up with a Huber, and my PBR up with a CG. It'd be fun to write a review . . . when I have the cash, haha.

Amen to 19Scout77's comment above.

Huber is not 2 stage trigger. Sear does not release if you pull on first stage and then release trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No drawbacks. I have TRG-22.
Custom built gun has CG xtreme trigger. Different feel than TRG. It's the only 2 stage trigger I could find for bolt gun.

CG is very pricise with no creep or anything like that. I doubt you'll find anyone who has used a CG trigger have any negative comments about it. </div></div>

dont be so sure....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huber is about the only way to go in a 2 stage for a bolt gun. </div></div>

Bullshit. The cg xtreme is not only better in terms of feel, it is more durable, user adjustable, provides a better safety and is a real 2 stage.

The only people who have tried both and prefer the huber are those without the ability to follow the simple instructions needed to set up the xtreme. </div></div>

We can talk about that.....

I don't understand the comment about the Huber not being a 2-stage. No two stage trigger in the world should release the sear if you lightly take up the first stage and back off and do not fire the rifle. This sounds like the release triggers that used to be put on trap shotguns occasionally. they were usually taken back off after the shooter had a gun go off the second time he did not want it to.

The issue is, as I understand it, that they want the trigger to fully reset once you remove your finger from the trigger. I have never tried it, but I guess this is how it works, but for me it is not an issue. Once I start the take up I will either release the round or apply the safety. Either way I am now back to a full two stage again. I also have set triggers on my sharps and a front stuffer and the Huber is much different. I have no issues with my Huber and like it almost as much as my Anschutz match two stage triggers.

Triggers are very personal. Like women and beer. I like a certain feel, and I liked the Huber better, it more closely mimicks my Giessle trigger in my Service Rifles, and I have a lot of time on them,So I like the feel. Hell even single stage triggers have a following amongst brands and weight and everything else.

Best advice, try a few first. Whatever you like is what you like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I like the feel of a two stage trigger, would there be any drawbacks to going with one? Any adverse effects that I'm over looking? Is a two stage in any way less reliable? Basically, is the only difference between a single and two stage just feel and preference? When ever I do a search for this topic I find more info on the semi guns but very little for bolt guns. </div></div>
lonewolfUSMC had a video on this mail call monday #31 it was pretty informative

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a link? Not familiar with the mail call Monday... </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQNE99Piq7o"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQNE99Piq7o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Cheers
cool.gif

The two-stage trigger was originally a military feature, simple to manufacture while providing safety in inclement conditions with a good trigger break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From <span style="font-weight: bold">The Bolt Action</span> by Stuart Otteson;

"The military Mauser had a <span style="font-style: italic">double-draw</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">double pull</span> trigger, a simple and rugged mechanism of only five parts and without adjustments of any kind. The trigger and sear move together, giving a long total trigger pull, but one well suited for military purposes as it is compatible with rough handling and nervous trigger fingers. At the same time, the two stages do permit a useful trigger pull."</div></div>

2-stage triggers have been in many popular and successful rifles including Anschutz rimfires, the Sako TRG, the US M1 and M14, and most recently in AR/M16 and AR-10 National Match pattern rifles.

Some prefer a <span style="font-style: italic">good</span> single stage trigger, while I personally prefer a two-stage.

There are true two stage triggers and there are simulated two stage triggers. I am not aware of anyone making a true two stage M700 pattern trigger.

If you want to understand how a real two stage trigger works, get the trigger group out of an M1 or M14 and operate it while observing what is going on with the inerds.

Even a simulated two stage trigger gives some extra margin of safety in that it does allow for contact with/movement of the protruding part of the trigger assembly without the mechanism being released. A true two stage trigger has additional safety/blocking mechanisms in place while the trigger is in the at rest position.

The Anschutz 5018/5021 triggers are not true two stage; they are a simulated two stage trigger, with the first stage simply being controlled movement of the trigger via spring tension with nothing else mechanical going on relative to the actual sear.

The true versus simulated is a valid point of discussion when it comes to field use rifles; for target use under controlled circumstances it is relevant primarily from a shot process/execution standpoint.

The Huber is not a true two stage trigger. It is really a set trigger. Once the first stage is taken up the trigger has been set. The only way to reset the first stage is to open the bolt. I personally do not care for a set trigger on a field rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Goddard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Huber is not a true two stage trigger. It is really a set trigger. Once the first stage is taken up the trigger has been set. The only way to reset the first stage is to open the bolt. I personally do not care for a set trigger on a field rifle. </div></div>

Sez the man from the land of Canjar
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Goddard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Huber is not a true two stage trigger. It is really a set trigger. Once the first stage is taken up the trigger has been set. The only way to reset the first stage is to open the bolt. I personally do not care for a set trigger on a field rifle. </div></div>

or engage the saftey which pushses it back to the first stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huber is about the only way to go in a 2 stage for a bolt gun. </div></div>

The only people who have tried both and prefer the huber are those without the ability to follow the simple instructions needed to set up the xtreme. </div></div>

+10 CG Jackson Mod-22 Tactical excellent trigger, quite possibly the best

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trooper #40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huber is about the only way to go in a 2 stage for a bolt gun. </div></div>

+10 CG Jackson Mod-22 Tactical excellent trigger, quite possibly the best </div></div>

Having shot them both, its tuff to beat a jackson...but for $100 more than the huber, that is where I draw the line...that and the fact they are almost impossible to get. I will stay with my Hubers.

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trooper #40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
KYS338 said:
Huber is about the only way to go in a 2 stage for a bolt gun. </div></div>

+10 CG Jackson Mod-22 Tactical excellent trigger, quite possibly the best </div></div>

Having shot them both, its tuff to beat a jackson...but for $100 more than the huber, that is where I draw the line...that and the fact they are almost impossible to get. I will stay with my Hubers.

Regards,
DT

good point, they are not 'cheap', so that could be considered a draw back, but sometimes you get what you pay for, looking at the big picture a $300 trigger on a $5000 rifle is like putting a $400 barrel on it, and a Jackson trigger could wear out several barrels and not need replacing. A good trigger can make a good rifle shoot better where as a bad trigger can make everything terrible.