• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two Stage Trigger for Bolt Gun?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I just learned that two stage triggers may be found in bolt guns. I thought these were used in ARs only. ??? I will have an AR-15, AR-10, and a bolt gun or two. I would think it would be best to become familiar with just one type of trigger. Are two stages really available in bolt guns? What is generally preferred in bolt actions? Or is there any preference?

- Phil

Re: Two Stage Trigger for Bolt Gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is generally preferred in bolt actions? Or is there any preference?

- Phil </div></div>

It is personal preference. I like single stage triggers in bolt guns. I don't like takeup or over-travel. When I want the rifle to fire I will pull the trigger. When I don't I won't. I don't see a reason to halfass pull the trigger until I want to shoot, then pull it the rest of the way.

NOW on a semi-auto it's a necessary evil. A two stage can get you a lighter trigger with less of a possibility of ripping off a second shot when the rifle cycles. Run a two ounce single stage on an AR and you may have some issues.

Just my opinion.

Swedish Mausers had them in 1896. Maybe they even predate that. They have
a place in the firearms world.

Accuracy International seems to like two stage triggers well enough. I don't have much experience with the two stage. The Jackson is supposed to be a great trigger with a wide range of adjustment. I am with LoneWolf. I don't like the feel of a two stage on a bolt gun.

I have shot alot of 10meter air rifle as a kid, so I learned on them, I love them so I have them on most all my center fire rifles. Its what you learn with i guess

Yeah different strokes for different folks but my $.02 is that even the best two stage trigger doesn't approach the feel of an average single stage when it comes down to accuracy and consistency. The real benefit of the two stage trigger is that it adds a slight margin of safety over a single stage as the take-up is a lot longer. It also allows a quick follow up shot (or rapid fire) as long as you pull through your trigger pull and only let the trigger out enough to reset before pulling back through.

I have two stage triggers on all of my handguns and ARs (Geiselle's are the best option here) but single stage on all bolt guns.

Again, my $.02. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two stage triggers on all of my handguns and ARs (Geiselle's are the best option here) but single stage on all bolt guns.

Again, my $.02. YMMV. </div></div>Might be a noobie question, but what kind of handguns have two stage triggers?

I started with two stage as well, but moved to single on all my tactical rifles. It is just too damned hard to set 4 two stage triggers to feel the EXACT same.

My mauser has a two stage and my AR's have single. My AR-10 build may get a double stage though I'm very undecided. My friends bolt has a 2.5.lb single stage and I can't shoot that gun for shit cuz I can't get a feel for the trigger. I like the 2 stage on bolts because I get a feel for the trigger and once the target is lined up I can rip a round once the sight touches my POI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two stage triggers on all of my handguns and ARs (Geiselle's are the best option here) but single stage on all bolt guns.

Again, my $.02. YMMV. </div></div>Might be a noobie question, but what kind of handguns have two stage triggers? </div></div>

XD's sorta have a 2 stage because they have a take up and then a contact point. I change that on mine though so as soon as the trigger safety is depressed the gun is dammned close to firing

I had an old rifle that had a "single-set" trigger. I think it was a percussion or flintlock if memory serves. You would push the trigger forward from behind until it clicked to set it, then merely touch the trigger in the normal "pulling" sense and it would go! Super-light! You could still pull it normally but it was probably 10 pounds if you didn't set it first. I wonder why no one uses this type anymore?

They still come on some black powder and old school rifles. The problem is
once you set, you have to fire, no way on mine to back out of it.

My dad has a TC Hawken replica in a flintlock with double set trigger. It doesn't have a way to back off the trigger, but it's not hard to hold the hammer, pull the trigger and not let it slam the frizzen and spark. Like using a 1911 that doesn't have a decocker.

The mauser is known for having a 2 stage trigger and I particularly like it. It's one of the best OEM military triggers IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They still come on some black powder and old school rifles. The problem is
once you set, you have to fire, no way on mine to back out of it. </div></div>

OH MY GOD!!! THE HUMANITY!!! Whatever will you do in that case! You certainly can't hold the hammer on a flintlock or percussion and ease it down! And you can't open the bolt on a bolt-gun!... And God forbid actually sending the round down-range!
grin.gif

OK... I'm a Smart-ass! Sorry!

They still put single set triggers in CZ bolt rifles, I had one, but didn't really like it. Would rather just have a crisp 2.5-3 lbs.

I think it was a percussion or flintlock if memory serves. You would push the trigger forward from behind until it clicked to set it, then merely touch the trigger in the normal "pulling" sense and it would go! Super-light! You could still pull it normally but it was probably 10 pounds if you didn't set it first. I wonder why no one uses this type anymore

You are refering to a set trigger, and it was a bit after the Flintlock. There were two triggers in the housing, the rear would set the trigger and the front would break real easy. The two stage is for more control, thats why allmost all target rigs have them. You can bring up the slack befor you know it goes bang. But you must have a real light break other wise its worthless. I have felt many 5lb two stage and I agree, there is no point, however, my TRG is set at 1.5 lb I can take up slack and know, with the slightest pressure, BANG 3 Bucks just spit out the tube.

There are two types...Double-set and Single-set. Double-set has two triggers. Single-set has one. Trust me on this.