• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two stage triggers

I recently swapped over and I prefer them. Makes you focus more on trigger control IMO.

I do, I run them on all of my AR "rifles". I find the take up of the first stage very comforting when prepping for a shot, very excited to try the super 700 when it's released.

Last edited:
How does the Huber compare to the Gisselle? I have had a huber for years that I never got around to installing.

I prefer 2 stages in semi autos. Haven't tried one in w bolt yet.

How does the Huber compare to the Gisselle? I have had a huber for years that I never got around to installing.

I prefer 2 stages in semi autos. Haven't tried one in w bolt yet.

Huber is not a true 2 stage. The first stage never truly resets, even with the newer model that sort of simulates a first stage reset. The Geissele is an actual 2 stage, and from what I understand is modeled after the CG Extreme Mod 22. I can't say one or the other is better, but the Geissele/Mod 22 feels very similar to an Anschutz or other 2 stage you would find on a high end smallbore rifle. The Huber has it's own unique feel.

Huber is not a true 2 stage. The first stage never truly resets, even with the newer model that sort of simulates a first stage reset. The Geissele is an actual 2 stage, and from what I understand is modeled after the CG Extreme Mod 22. I can't say one or the other is better, but the Geissele/Mod 22 feels very similar to an Anschutz or other 2 stage you would find on a high end smallbore rifle. The Huber has it's own unique feel.

I would hate to proclaim myself the ultimate arbiter of what is or is not a two stage, but my Huber sure seems like a two stage to me. If you have a Huber trigger install it on a rifle you shoot regularly, my guess is that you will like it.

Thanks. Is the Gisselle similar to their AR triggers?

I would hate to proclaim myself the ultimate arbiter of what is or is not a two stage, but my Huber sure seems like a two stage to me. If you have a Huber trigger install it on a rifle you shoot regularly, my guess is that you will like it.

It has to do with the way the sears work together on a 2 stage trigger that make it safer.

The Huber feels like a 2 stage, but doesn't really have 2 stages as far as the mechanics of the trigger are concerned. The Huber isn't bad, just different.

It has to do with the way the sears work together on a 2 stage trigger that make it safer.

The Huber feels like a 2 stage, but doesn't really have 2 stages as far as the mechanics of the trigger are concerned. The Huber isn't bad, just different.

Likely your proclamations on trigger classifications are as well founded as your political opinions. What I mean to say it that while you have a right to an opinion, most of us have noticed that your opinions are often not based in fact.

Likely your proclamations on trigger classifications are as well founded as your political opinions. What I mean to say it that while you have a right to an opinion, most of us have noticed that your opinions are often not based in fact.
Edit.

Not going to get into this pissing match.

I went from a benchrest to a two stage and won't be going back anytime soon.

Its all that I run in my rifles,the ARs have SSAs and Armalites and the bolt guns have Cadex 2 stage....

I have four of them installed and use them regularly. Awesome triggers. But, they aren't a true 2 stage. Even Diz says as much... :)

I use a Huber two-stage and don't plan to use a single stage any time in the near future.

My first AR was a long, heavy barreled varmint AR, and came with a very nice 2-stage trigger already installed. I built another completely identical rifle (after giving the original one to my Granddaughter), from the same factory's kit, and consequently, all my Lowers have 2lb/3.5lb 2 stage triggers.

My additional Uppers are not varmint-dedicated, and one could probably fit the run-n-gun category; yet the 2 Stage feels totally right under those Uppers, too.

All my bolt rifles have single stage triggers, factory units all but one, and they do not serve as any kind of a distraction, either.

It's my viewpoint that trigger manipulation skills should not cater to (or be catered to by) limiting those triggers we need to manipulate. The accomplished marksman should be able to operate any reasonable trigger after the first shot or few with that specific new trigger.

IMHO, trigger manipulation needs to be the skill to which we devote the most attention when the shot is finally ready for release. If we limit our knowledge and skill to a select range of trigger types, we may be facing a self-imposed handicap; one that honestly, I can see no purpose behind.

Greg

I run a mixed bag of triggers, but I think i have gotten to a point I really like a good 2 stage better than a single stage. I have hyperfire 3g, an ALG ACT, and a POF 3.5lb trigger on 3 of my AR's. I don't really care for any of them compared to even a Giessele SSA-E, let alone national match. All of my bolts have aftermarket single stage triggers of some type single stage.

I don't like them enough to trade the single stage on my Tikka for one, but being able to manipulate the bolt with the safety on might be enough to sway me. I am waiting on the KRG trigger to see how it stacks up to the Timney before I make a decision

I use them on everything, 22, bolt, ar. In the bolt I like Tubb's trigger, everything is adjustable.

Thanks, gents. I have one on my Swedish CG-63, my brother's AI of course has one, and I've got the excellent LaRue MBT on one of my ARs; therefore I've purchased a Timney 533 for my 700, I'm hoping I will like it.

Last edited:
I try to run a two stage on all of my rifles.

For me the takeup allows me to apply some pressure and feel that my finger pad is properly indexed on the trigger shoe for a straight break without relying solely on muscle memory. I don't like doing this with single stages, usually when I'm applying pressure on them the trigger is breaking too unless it's a very heavy trigger which I don't use.

Short answer, yes. I come from a background of competitive archery, and the travel on the first stage of a 2 stage is very comforting, just as it is with my other releases. I find it helps my anticipation and timing quite a bit.

Reactions: diverdon
I swapped the factory 700 trigger for a Huber staged break 2.25 lb.... It is amazing. I was very skeptical because I didn't really like the geissele AR trigger much, but the Huber is a completely different animal. I don't even know how to describe it, see if you can try one sometime.

I went from Hubers 2st to BixnAndy Tacsport and Marksmen - I also got 2 Super700 Geissele coming also. I like the Timney calvin elite in my hunting rifles, but not as smooth as the BnA. The Hubers were good except I couldnt adjust to find my sweet spot.

Reactions: Jeffd
On my ars. Have one Geissele and two mbts by larue fo 99 dollars the larue is hard to beat. Imho it is the best trigger at the best price point

Sorry didn't realize I was in the bolt action thread. I have one bolt gun a pre2014aiax. I shoot the factory trigger

Last edited:
Reactions: gol1
I have two stage triggers in most of my ARs (Geissele G2S and SSA), my Accuracy International AW, and my GAP 308 (Timney CE 2 stage). I prefer the two stage trigger because the first stage takes up most of the pull weight and the increment of pressure to trip the 2nd stage and fire the shot makes it feel like a much lighter trigger. I think it makes trigger control easier. Having said that, I shoot AJ Brown built FN SPR most often in competition and it has a tuned factory trigger in it and I think I shoot it just as well as anything else.

2 stage triggers are much more common in ARs used in competition. When I switched from the match tuned 308 Garand to the AR service rifle in NRA Highpower competition in 2004, there were only a few two stage AR triggers available, Jewell, Rock River, Compass Lake, Armalite, etc., but two stage triggers were growing in popularity. In NRA Highpower Service Rifle, the sport was ruled by M14s and Garands until the early 2000s when match tuning AR service rifles advanced and where Sierra developed heavy bullets like the 80 SMK and the 77 SMK to where they were beating the 30 caliber rifles easily. Service Rifle rules have a minimum trigger pull weight of 4.5 lbs. and a 2 stage 4.5 trigger is easier to control and feels lighter than a 4.5 lb. single stage trigger. I think that two stage triggers became more popular in ARs because 1) the M14 and Garand have excellent two stage military triggers and competition shooters grew up with those rifles and 2) the minimum 4.5 lb. trigger weight in Highpower makes a 2 stage trigger more attractive. In my opinion, the excellence of the Geissele triggers did much to spread the adoption of 2 stage AR triggers.

In bolt guns, two stage triggers haven't been as common, in my opinion, because our competitions don't have a minimum trigger pull weight, because there are so many excellent single stage triggers in bolt guns, and because the last bolt gun widely used in competition that had a factory 2 stage trigger was the M1903 Springfield which was ages ago. Except for the safety issues, the factory Remington 700 trigger can be tuned to have an excellent release, and the factory Winchester Model 70 trigger is also excellent.

Today, in bolt guns, we have some excellent 2 stage trigger choices. The Accuracy International rifles and the Sako TRG have excellent factory 2 stage triggers. For Remington 700 actions, we have the Huber, Timney Calvin Elite 2 stage, CG 22, and Tubb T7T triggers but in my experience, they're still not that common.

I'm happy we have so many choices and for me I can work with either single or 2 stage triggers.

i spent 2-3 yrs with nothing but 2 stages on my bolt guns (AI, huber, timney)...i tried to go back to single stage trigger tech diamond the past couple months, shot 1 club match and 1 prs match with it....pulled it out soon as i got home from the prs match, back to the Huber 2 stage

timing and feel is just way better with a 2 stage for me

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Prefer 2 stage. My bolt action wears a CG Extreme Mod 22 that I prefer to my very crisp single stage Sako. Same goes for semi auto, Geissele SSA gets my vote although my only other experience has been with gritty heavy singles in AR's. I like the initial take up before the wall to zero my focus.

I bought a used Huber two-stage just to see what all the hub-bub was all about. Now I own six.......

They will multiply in your safe if you don't pay attention.

Running a Huber two stage in my Surgeon and 2 of the new Timney two stage triggers in Tikka's. The two stage trigger that Steyr provides is also fantastic - I have one in a Pro Hunter 9.3x62. Can't say the Tikka single stage triggers aren't excellent and I see no need to 'upgrade' them in hunting rifles, but when given the choice I prefer the ability to more accurately anticipate trigger break that a good two stage provides.

Running a Huber two stage in my Surgeon and 2 of the new Timney two stage triggers in Tikka's. The two stage trigger that Steyr provides is also fantastic - I have one in a Pro Hunter 9.3x62. Can't say the Tikka single stage triggers aren't excellent and I see no need to 'upgrade' them in hunting rifles, but when given the choice I prefer the ability to more accurately anticipate trigger break that a good two stage provides.

How are the Timney 2 stage triggers doing? I just ordered my second Huber for a 700 build, but they raised their prices on me mid order, so I think that's my last Huber. The Tikka triggers, as you have mentioned, are excellent as is, but I really prefer a 2 stage.

How are the Timney 2 stage triggers doing? I just ordered my second Huber for a 700 build, but they raised their prices on me mid order, so I think that's my last Huber. The Tikka triggers, as you have mentioned, are excellent as is, but I really prefer a 2 stage.

Big fan of the timney two stage in the Tikka. Have been faultless over the past few months.

Reactions: Timney USA and SLG