• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two-stage triggers

GAHunterJim

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2023
Florida
Wondering who may have experience with two-stage triggers? I've hunted for years with "tuned" Win 70s, their triggers are excellent for hunting but I've recently started using rifles I DIY built with pre-fits and Trigger Tech triggers. I shoot them well from the bench but not as well as my M70s in the field and I'm wondering if their is any advantage to a two-stage. I tend to shoot more "reactionary" in the field and I'm jerking the trigger more than I'm comfortable with, as compared to the M70s. Any insight would be appreciated.

I prefer a 2 stage trigger on a bolt gun. Triggertechs 2 stage is great. I’m not sure if you’re looking to M70 triggers or what but I’m not sure of anyone making a 2 stage for them. Aftermarket M70 triggers in general are pretty limited.

Two stage all the way.

My Sako finnlight is single. But I honestly prefer the two stages in my heavier rifles.

Wondering who may have experience with two-stage triggers? I've hunted for years with "tuned" Win 70s, their triggers are excellent for hunting but I've recently started using rifles I DIY built with pre-fits and Trigger Tech triggers. I shoot them well from the bench but not as well as my M70s in the field and I'm wondering if their is any advantage to a two-stage. I tend to shoot more "reactionary" in the field and I'm jerking the trigger more than I'm comfortable with, as compared to the M70s. Any insight would be appreciated.
One comment about 2 stg triggers...the move the trigger break point relative to the grip. Try to figure out if part of the issue is the better hand-mechanics of the 2 stage vs 1 staage trigger. Alot of triggers don't offer adjustment of the trigger shoe, and alot of stocks have way too much (non-adjustable) reach from the vertical grip to the trigger.

Reactions: natdscott
Reactions: viking78
I use Huber two-stages (I guess technically staged-break) on all of my guns. I basically got rid of everything I couldn't use a two-stage on because for some reason I just don't shoot single-stage triggers nearly as well.

I prefer a 2 stage trigger on a bolt gun. Triggertechs 2 stage is great. I’m not sure if you’re looking to M70 triggers or what but I’m not sure of anyone making a 2 stage for them. Aftermarket M70 triggers in general are pretty limited.
It's Rem Clone (Defiance) receiver

One comment about 2 stg triggers...the move the trigger break point relative to the grip. Try to figure out if part of the issue is the better hand-mechanics of the 2 stage vs 1 staage trigger. Alot of triggers don't offer adjustment of the trigger shoe, and alot of stocks have way too much (non-adjustable) reach from the vertical grip to the trigger.
I've gone from traditional open-grips to more vertical (McMillan Game Hunter).

Reactions: DubfromGA
Definitely a preference thing.

For target/groups I prefer a two stage. 4 lbs first stage and .5 lbs second. It gives me the illusion of having a .5 lbs single stage. Not really, but you get the idea.

For hunting/shotgun, single stage.

I doubt a two stage will do anything for you jerking the trigger.

Reactions: GAHunterJim
A shitty trigger pull is a shitty pull. 2 stage or 1 stage does not matter. Clean up your fundamentals and you will be able to shoot any style trigger well. After that its all preference.

This is a software not a hardware problem.

Take a Frank Galli, Rifles Only, or Everyday Sniper fundamentals course and square up you trigger press. After that, it really won't matter if using single or two stage.

I'll sometimes use a two stage if I feel like I'm getting lazy or sloppy. As I focus a bit more after taking out first stage. But that's just training *after* you know what you should and shouldn't be doing with a trigger press.

I have a single stage Trigger Tech in one bolt gun and a two stage Trigger Tech in another bolt gun.

Both have their pros / cons.

The two stage is good for precision applications as I can get settled in behind the gun, pull the trigger until the "wall" (ie first stage) and hold it there while I make minute adjustments to aim exactly where I want then slowly squeeze until it breaks.

With the single stage I get the gun on target and then pull the trigger (its crazy light so I barely feel it). The process feels a bit more basic / unrefined.

Each have their own strengths but they are quite different.

I have a single stage Trigger Tech in one bolt gun and a two stage Trigger Tech in another bolt gun.

Both have their pros / cons.

The two stage is good for precision applications as I can get settled in behind the gun, pull the trigger until the "wall" (ie first stage) and hold it there while I make minute adjustments to aim exactly where I want then slowly squeeze until it breaks.

With the single stage I get the gun on target and then pull the trigger (its crazy light so I barely feel it). The process feels a bit more basic / unrefined.

Each have their own strengths but they are quite different.
Thanks! I think I'm going to try one on my new build and see how I like it compared to the others.

Big fan of two stage triggers, I try to put them on every gun I own. But I also live in the Great White North, so half the year I'm wearing gloves while shooting - much easier to shoot a two-stage gloved than a one-stage.

I've never understood why someone would want a SST. The takeup makes life so much easier that you can anticipate while STILL surprising yourself on the break. I don't have data, but anecdotally I feel that having the ability to apply light pressure smooths out the jitteriness (yep, I just used that half assed word) of the human finger.

It looks like I'll have to try one and see how I like it, the problem is if I do, I'll need to replace them all (four).
No, you won't.

You might WANT to, but it's not required.

I shoot triggers from single stage 75 gram, through 4.85 lb two stage, with several 2-3.5 lb boltgun triggers set up as squishy single stages.

I shoot them all well.

Focus and mental training is the key. Jerry could take a fucking Stihl chainsaw, and if it could be made to fire .22 Short, he'd shoot balloons at 1/2 mile with it.

You can shoot lots of different triggers well, too. I know you can.

Big fan of two stage triggers, I try to put them on every gun I own. But I also live in the Great White North, so half the year I'm wearing gloves while shooting - much easier to shoot a two-stage gloved than a one-stage.
Only catch to that is that the 1st stage has to be heavy enough, and/or have enough tactile feedback (grit) to let you know it's there. Otherwise, it doesn't help, and because you are moving the trigger backwards at some speed, you can pull right through the break.

Anschutz, for example.

Only catch to that is that the 1st stage has to be heavy enough, and/or have enough tactile feedback (grit) to let you know it's there. Otherwise, it doesn't help, and because you are moving the trigger backwards at some speed, you can pull right through the break.

Anschutz, for example.
Or TT, IMO.

I prefer 2 stage triggers.
All my guns (handguns , ar15s ) have two stage triggers. So I have countless hours and rounds prepping the trigger getting to the wall and firing.

Looking to try out the trigger tech special.

Anschutz, for example.
I disagree.

My 10 m air rifle has a silly light two stage. Light enough to send the pellet by just touching the trigger if not careful.

The brain will adapt and you will learn and feel the first stage. There is no creep. An old Anschütz 2000.

The pad on your fingers are very sensitive. Ref Braille writing.

Which leads me to wonder if OP is touching the trigger wrong? Not with pad on forefinger but with first joint?

My other two stage triggers are on Sako TRGs and Sauer SSG3000. No creep on those either. And a 4 lbs first stage is not something I consider heavy, but I might be wrong?

I do all two stage on my ARs and one bolt gun (AT-X) because it feels like an AR in the grip.

I do all single stage triggers in my bolt action rifles.

I believe uniformity is a big part of keeping your shots breaking when you want them if you hunt with multiple rifles and platforms. It is second nature for me to take up the first stage on an AR because that's what I grew up with. Likewise, every bolt action rifle ive ever owned (except the AT-X) has been a single stage.

I put together a large frame .308 for my dad a few years ago and tested it in the field for a few nights on pigs. He insisted on a Timney single stage trigger. First two engagements and I damn sure let the opening round fly while trying to take up the slack (non-existent) on a single stage trigger. 😄 Fortunately the crosshairs were on target and the pigs dropped...but it startled the crap out of me.

Triggers are a lot like optics in that what's perfect for me might not be for you, and vice versa.

Some dudes have way less sensitivity in their hands (whether natural or from years of manual labor). I remember watching my dad break an ice cream cone in his hand by accident because he didn't know that he was holding it too tightly...he was about 50 at the time and 30 years into being a heavy equipment mechanic.

^ I laughed at that for many years. Now I'm in my mid 40s, and frequently discovering that I had cut a finger or my hand hours before on something when I notice dried blood. My sensitivity just isnt what it used to be anymore. A 1lb trigger - especially a second stage - feels like more of a release to me than a break. It is not comfortable or intuitive with my trigger finger.

I like a good 2.5 - 3lb single stage, and about a pound heavier for a two stage. I also don't suffer from sympathetic use of my thumb or other fingers during the pull/squeeze/press like others do - so I understand why guys go with 1lb triggers, and that is great for them.

I disagree.

My 10 m air rifle has a silly light two stage. Light enough to send the pellet by just touching the trigger if not careful.

The brain will adapt and you will learn and feel the first stage. There is no creep. An old Anschütz 2000.

The pad on your fingers are very sensitive. Ref Braille writing.

Which leads me to wonder if OP is touching the trigger wrong? Not with pad on forefinger but with first joint?

My other two stage triggers are on Sako TRGs and Sauer SSG3000. No creep on those either. And a 4 lbs first stage is not something I consider heavy, but I might be wrong?
Brother, I'm pretty adapted. 😆

My point was directed at field use. My experience with a 3.7 oz 5018, with thousands of rounds below freezing, and quite a few boxes in temperatures below 15 degrees, has shown my point to be fact.

And I have a "rather sensitive" index finger and reaction time.

I've never bothered to try the 10m pistol in the cold. Not worth it, and no purpose to trying. It's set a good bit below regulation, and single stage with a touch of roll.

Brother, I'm pretty adapted. 😆

My point was directed at field use. My experience with a 3.7 oz 5018, with thousands of rounds below freezing, and quite a few boxes in temperatures below 15 degrees, has shown my point to be fact.

And I have a "rather sensitive" index finger and reaction time.

I've never bothered to try the 10m pistol in the cold. Not worth it, and no purpose to trying. It's set a good bit below regulation, and single stage with a touch of roll.
Good for you! 👍

You didn't specify sub zero (0° C) shooting and I didn't take it into consideration. Though I have gloves where it is possible to wiggle out my index finger for just such an occation.

I too have a few rounds in freezing conditions, hence the gloves described above...

You do you and I do me?

Good for you! 👍

You didn't specify sub zero (0° C) shooting and I didn't take it into consideration. Though I have gloves where it is possible to wiggle out my index finger for just such an occation.

I too have a few rounds in freezing conditions, hence the gloves described above...

You do you and I do me?
I'm not upset. Might be the usual internet communication breakdown.

It sounded like you were lecturing me about 2-stage triggers, but if that wasn't your intent...

Yeah, I agree on the finger-hole. I often wear the old wool military liners, and have cut a slit in several of them. But I HAVE to keep that hand warm, or it's all over.

I DO keep my trigger weights in the 3 lb range, for most "field" rifles, simply
due to that fact. That, and I've proven to at least myself that a 5 lb trigger is not a barrier to precision; sounds like you think the same thing.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
I'm not upset. Might be the usual internet communication breakdown.

It sounded like you were lecturing me about 2-stage triggers, but if that wasn't your intent...

Yeah, I agree on the finger-hole. I often wear the old wool military liners, and have cut a slit in several of them. But I HAVE to keep that hand warm, or it's all over.

I DO keep my trigger weights in the 3 lb range, for most "field" rifles, simply
due to that fact. That, and I've proven to at least myself that a 5 lb trigger is not a barrier to precision; sounds like you think the same thing.
Good. Most probably.

No. Almost never intentionally. Giving my opinion since my view differ from yours.

I apologize. No affront, only poor communication skills...

I use knitted mittens over those gloves when it is cold enough and i never hunt in a way that would require me to be so hasty as not have the time to remove them.

And I'm lucky enough not to have much trouble with my hands in the way described earlier.

I don't mind a bit more than 3 lbs since I'm not bothered by it too. Never tried 5 lbs though.

I don't mind a bit more than 3 lbs since I'm not bothered by it too. Never tried 5 lbs though.

4-5 pounds can be made very manageable by good triggers. Good, in my opinion, being defined by their predictability.

As an example, the Geissele HSNM and the Wisconsin triggers are built around 4.50-5.0 lb total weight, but depending on the setup, you can get them down to 8-10 oz on the second stage. Very manageable, at least as far down as 1/4 Minute. Below that...well, I've either A) never handled an AR that would go that low, and/or (B) I am not enough shooter on an AR to let one go that low.

Same is true of excellent 1911 triggers, and I'm sure others. As long as it is good enough that you can memorize it within "almost zero" variance in your shot process, the poundage isn't a lot of concern for the average adult male.

As long as trigger reach is within reason, women do fine, also.

Get up to 6-8 lbs, and I guess it might. I don't have any equipment that is that heavy, except DA pistols and revolvers. I'm okay in DA, but nothing to write home about. Or even across the hall.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
Or TT, IMO.

My TT 2 stage doesn't have any issues with this.

The last match I did I adjusted the second stage to be a little lighter and it was borderline too light.

I adjusted it up a little (kinda between where I started and the lightest point) and now its perfect.

All my Center fires have Trigger Tech two stage ( bolts are near 1lb total, gas guns about 1.7lbs). My remedies are a mix depending on the trigger, my 9422 is about 5lbs, my Anschutz 1727 fourtner is set at about 5.5 oz)

My TT 2 stage doesn't have any issues with this.

The last match I did I adjusted the second stage to be a little lighter and it was borderline too light.

I adjusted it up a little (kinda between where I started and the lightest point) and now its perfect.
I guess my issue is the first stage travel/take-up is very short. I played with the weights and couldn’t get a feeling I liked or that really felt like it did much/was there. It’s a design choice made by TT that doesn’t appeal to me.

People who has TT, and Timney, is the TT like 10-0 to Timney?
TT has been told the be the best trigger manufacturer, i have been never to test one, yet.
I hope they are doing trigger for Tikka.

Have you ever shot a 1911? Not exactly the same, but pretty similar experience. There’s some very light take-up, then you hit the wall, then the break.

It’s just a preference thing, but I like two-stage triggers. I put one in every rifle I can.

That said, it’s probably not going to fix your problem of jerking the trigger.

I use 2 stage triggers on all of my rifles other than the TacOps which is a light single stage. Have no issue switching back and forth between single and two-stage triggers.

It is all personal preference but solid fundamentals are key to using either well.

Reactions: kthomas
Been trying to find one for my T3X, even called beretta. Any idea where to purchase in the US of A?
I I remember correctly Beretta is where I purchased it.

I had originally purchased one here that an issue with the place the screw went into that held the trigger straight . If I remember correctly I sent them a picture of the spot and they let me purchase one. I put the broken one up for sale here with the problem disclosed years ago.

Just get the KRG or a Timney. Even a 2 stage tikka from Beretta (If you can find one) is like $350. A sako is probably $450.
I will agree I had the timney on my Sako quad and swapped it out for a factory tikka 2 stage. I really like both